Security Installer Community

Karizma+ questions

Hi

I've had to do a full NVM clear and re-program on an old Karizma+ system this morning, and it lives to fight another day. I have a couple of questions please:

1 - I want to think through replacing this panel as I'm under no illusions that its on borrowed time. A rewire with conventional wiring would be a bit messy - and I'm tempted to consider keeping iD wiring, hence any suggestions for current panels that can reuse the iD wiring? Current wiring is two long daisy chain runs. Roughly 15 PIR, 3 pairs of magnetic contacts, 2 external bell boxes, 1 keypad.  (I've never fitted wireless and would prefer that this particular place wasn't the first). 

2 - in the meantime, a really silly configuration detail: At the end of the timed exit staff are complaining there is no longer a "bing bong" as the system sets and they miss it! Any idea what this might be called in the engineers menu?

Many thanks for your thoughts. Tim

You may be able to still get the gardtec expander that works with those id biscuits, you can then use a gardtec 600 panel but the HKC panel is better by miles. HKC also sell id modules but they wont fit inside the detectors, they are nearly as expensive as a detector too.

Thanks. The options are growing. Google has led me to a Texecom 60iXD expander - is that another way of doing it? It 'sounds' compatible but the devil is always in the detail!

Texecom Premier 60IXD

I agree HKC looks far superior but not sure I can purchase as I'm no longer 'trade'. Or maybe just haven't found right place to sell it me yet.

16 minutes ago, dangeroustim said:

I'm no longer 'trade'.

ah, if your doing favours or there's little or no money attached... just remember old iD systems can be a pain,

I no longer see any of our ADE iD panels, if one crawled back out of the woodwork I'd move it to premier with an iD expander.

The bell "squawk" will either be an option in the menu's or something programmed as a "set" output or similar.

Mr? Veritas God

Your looking at either rewiring, BUS compatible system or an iD Expander.

I consider that the wiring is normally manky old 4 core and would go for the first where feasible.

You said "staff" so it's commercial and probably easier to rewire than mess about.

If you have defaulted the system has the volume been changed so they can no longer hear the exit tones?

Ok, thanks everyone, time for an update. I went back today and the exit chime is sorted - it was as simple as changing the program to "final door" exit mode, not simply "timed". Seems the former does a chime at the end, and the latter doesn't. I chucked a new battery in while I was there.

Regarding the circumstances...yes, I was doing a favour - I took pity on a charity who have an interesting old building (former boarding school). I was there for unrelated business and noticed "NVM CHECKSUM FLT" on keypad (I still can't avoid looking at panels after almost 10 years out of this trade) and commented they should get this seen to, and then replace the system.  They replied they had no service contract, only the business card of the installer which is now  "number not recognised", and that another company had declined to quote for replacement. It's a heck of a building with chunky walls and lots of tiled floors (even on 1st floor) and I can see the challenges. So I said if they can cope with external bells ringing for a minute there is a fair chance I can get it going IF there was documentation inside the panel. So I opened up (no tamper as it was crashed), found decent list of zones and program details, so took the usual steps to reduce the noise a bit, reset it and set the thing up again for them. So for now they at least have something working with an autodialler that calls their own staff. All the time saying "this is to buy you time, don't rely on this working for long". 

Of course, that then prompted the next question; could I could fit something 'modern and better' for them and I agreed to look into options but haven't promised. As I don't have loads of time to play at my old job I'd rather they got a new pro install with service contract and have told them this. The only thing I could do for them in the time I have to do it would be reusing the iD wiring (it's 6 core btw) or possibly use a hybrid panel with expander initially with current iD setup and migrate to wireless as time permits. Neither is ideal from their point of view. I have a feeling that now the Karimza+ works again an upgrade will slip their mind until the next issue with it (or next thunder storm!) so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for help and suggestions, I appreciate it.

25 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

long shot.... Essex ?

Yes, it was Essex! Don't remember the name, so don't ask!

To be fair, the install itself is generally neatly done, with a nicely completed system information sheet inside the panel and each iD number on a printed sticker on each PIR etc. Only thing I can fault is putting the panel in an extremely odd place, no where near the centre of the building, nowhere near any mains (has its own fused spur running a long way) and a 40 second sprint from the only keypad. Unless it was April 1st and the guy had an apprentice, I would struggle to find a less logical place to put it. But hey-ho, each to their own.

30 minutes ago, dangeroustim said:

Yes, it was Essex!

lol, I was guessing it may have been one of the late great "arfurmo" systems traded as something eye from wickford or thereabouts.

But w/o the use of a ouija board we'll never know ;)

• Like 1

Mr? Veritas God

On 14/05/2018 at 20:49, MrHappy said:

lol, I was guessing it may have been one of the late great "arfurmo" systems traded as something eye from wickford or thereabouts.

But w/o the use of a ouija board we'll never know ;)

Mr H. can I take from your last post that arfur is still around then?  I quite miss him.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.