Security Installer Community

So im a bit confused.

Marcous

I've annoyed you guys before regarding help on my mums house alarm - hoping to pick brains again.  Very briefly - power to the keypad seems to drop out - causing the alarm to either start sounding, or rendering the system armed but with you unable to reset... After trying a new board (pcb is it?) and finding i'm just not expert enough to reset the code and start afresh - i decided to clean the old board, and remove and reseat all the wired connections. So far so good - the alarm worked completely normally until today where I've nipped over to mums to find the alarm sounding the and the keypad without power. 

The stage im at is - do we a) call an engineer in to just rip it out and get a whole new system put in by an expert, b) try n replace the (i think its 6core?) keypad to pcb cable or c) try a a new panel box with instructions (as I'm a total novice).

As additional info, if i tap or press on the top left hand side of the board (Where the keypad wiring meets the board) it will restore/cut power to the keypad - so it seems that something is loose or working intermittently. If i can get you any other info you need I will. cheers for help/advice.

I would say the same - but initially when the issue started occurring I first tried a new replacement keypad... Like i say- the keypad will accept power and respond to keystrokes just fine, just the power sometimes goes out and the problem seems to be something loose at or one the pcb or wiring. i'm wondering if the wiring to the keypad is dodge?

On 21/04/2018 at 15:38, PeterJames said:

If you still have the old keypad wire it in at the panel on a short bit of wire, then next time it happens if the keypad near the panel works you know its the cable, if they are both dead then its panel 

Might try that. What's weird is the Keypad has power and works for, I dunno- a couple of weeks? then loses power.  The old keypad is long gone I'm afraid. its a most bizarre situation. I would suspect if a gentle tap to the board (actually - a tape to the wooden beam the Alarm box is mounted to) seems to lose/connect power - then there is either a iffy cable to the keypad or the board is fooooked. Best guess of mine is board as the keypad was replaced previously for precisely this reason. Just strange as I connected it all up a few weeks ago, gave the alarm box taps, knocks, wiggles and power remained constant - then 2 weeks later, no power to keypad and alarm goes off.

Pressing on the board in the top left corner near where the keypad wire meets the board seems to restore/cut power to keypad. weird. Maybe I should film it?

On 21/04/2018 at 15:08, james.wilson said:

as above check there is power at the keypad. Sounds like it probably does.

Power goes to keypad - then cuts after a couple of weeks.

24 minutes ago, Marcous said:

Might try that. What's weird is the Keypad has power and works for, I dunno- a couple of weeks? then loses power.  The old keypad is long gone I'm afraid. its a most bizarre situation. I would suspect if a gentle tap to the board (actually - a tape to the wooden beam the Alarm box is mounted to) seems to lose/connect power - then there is either a iffy cable to the keypad or the board is fooooked. Best guess of mine is board as the keypad was replaced previously for precisely this reason. Just strange as I connected it all up a few weeks ago, gave the alarm box taps, knocks, wiggles and power remained constant - then 2 weeks later, no power to keypad and alarm goes off.

Pressing on the board in the top left corner near where the keypad wire meets the board seems to restore/cut power to keypad. weird. Maybe I should film it?

Power goes to keypad - then cuts after a couple of weeks.

So pressing where cable goes onto connector restores power , so maybe dry joint cracked joint or get a new keypad 

11 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

So pressing where cable goes onto connector restores power , so maybe dry joint cracked joint or get a new keypad 

He has one

It could be the screws holding the keypad up are screwed into the cable in the wall?

13 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

He has one

It could be the screws holding the keypad up are screwed into the cable in the wall?

13 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

He has one

Nope, checked that end.