Security Installer Community

Alarm - FULL MOT?

1 minute ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

You can put an advise on everything and slam a new battery in it but it's on borrowed time and won't stop it letting you down on the motorway.

You've seen our Pug van then...

Mr? Veritas God

39 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

cost £0,

"MOT" fail no tamper circuit :)

panel date says 1996 but wiring looks older ?

I reckon tamper circuit has a fault hence bypassed instead fixed

All this flaffing around and going in circles what's the point? Get services or fixed.or DIY it which looks as if it's been down that route with tamper bridged

• Upvote 2

Update:

2 window shock sensors

1 front door contact

6 PIR's

2 Panic Buttons

Bellbox on front.

What would be a sensible replacement for this panel and system.

We don't want one that calls out or uses apps.

We have a strong and active community of retired people that are our friends in the surrounding houses (plus a dog).

If the alarm goes off - we will get a call from them.

No need for apps - I do not want something that can be eventually hacked. Simple solid alarm that will go off if there is an attempted break in.

What would you recommend please?

We might move within the next 18 months. Just need the alarm to work - and meet home insurance specs.

Edited by TimbreSaw

5 hours ago, TimbreSaw said:

Update:

2 window shock sensors

1 front door contact

6 PIR's

2 Panic Buttons

Bellbox on front.

What would be a sensible replacement for this panel and system.

We don't want one that calls out or uses apps.

We have a strong and active community of retired people that are our friends in the surrounding houses (plus a dog).

If the alarm goes off - we will get a call from them.

No need for apps - I do not want something that can be eventually hacked. Simple solid alarm that will go off if there is an attempted break in.

What would you recommend please?

We might move within the next 18 months. Just need the alarm to work - and meet home insurance specs.

What you mean simple solid alarm?

So insurer has insisted? You have an alarm ? Then did they give a spec? 

Why not get an alarm company in? Ask them , you will have to get quotes from them to meet whatever insurance spec you have been given and won't make difference what anyone says here 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Alarm battery last replaced 2016 - Tamper switch was bypassed - without telling us. Metal case earthing wire - was disconnected and hanging loose. No walk through test was done. Bell would go off as soon as you enter the house (delay was not programmed in).

Cost for basically doing the absolute minimum - and leaving us with an alarm bell that would instantly go off when we walked through the door - £90 + VAT.

I need your help - The installer has installed a number of Alarms on our street.

I am going to call him on this bull, and get him to do the full 10 year service - as should have been done previously - and to explain these serious lapses.

I don't want him pulling the wool over my eyes again. 

I need to know exactly what he should be doing for this year Service - details / steps / and takeaways. I need him to feel that I have a secondary and third professional opinion - and that he'll get caught out if he cuts corners on this service again. 

I'm asking members to help me put together a checklist to shove under his nose when he walks in.

I really appreciate any help with this, and all of your contributions thus far. I couldn't have figured any of this out myself - without your help.

TimbreSaw