Security Installer Community

Wickes/Rascal 29 alarm

Andy20166

I have the above alarm fitted by myself around 1993. Worked fine until other day when I switched power off to do a job. Alarm went off due to battery. Now has lost settings.  Done a reset. User code reverted, engineer code will not work.  Alarm seems to be permanent on, sensors triggering alarm when inset. When I put user code in to set tamperlight comes on. 

Any help would be appreciated 

Edited by sixwheeledbeast

The old Rascall panel is obsolete now Racall Guardall have gone, theses panel seem to last about 15 16 years when regularly serviced, so you have had your moneys worth from it. I used to install these myself back in the 90's when they NVM goes like yours has there is nothing you can do.

On the up side, whatever you replace it with (assuming you dont go to Wicks or B&Q or Ebay) will be a big improvement, later panels are far more advanced.

Could there be a different engineer code, should be ##REMOVED## but this not working? The factory reset for the user code should have gone to ##REMOVED## can't understand why so wondered if engineer code different too. All other functions like bell test and changing of user code working fine. Alarm seems as tho all the circuits are behaving like panic attack circuit, ie active all time.

I've put tape over the pir's and bypassed the magnet on the door for now so at least bell box is lit and looks like alarm is working.

What would be the best panel to replace this one with minimum alterations to wiring etc.

Thanks for the advice so far.

On 18/03/2018 at 19:46, Andy20166 said:

Could there be a different engineer code, should be ##REMOVED## but this not working? The factory reset for the user code should have gone to ##REMOVED## can't understand why so wondered if engineer code different too. All other functions like bell test and changing of user code working fine. Alarm seems as tho all the circuits are behaving like panic attack circuit, ie active all time.

I've put tape over the pir's and bypassed the magnet on the door for now so at least bell box is lit and looks like alarm is working.

What would be the best panel to replace this one with minimum alterations to wiring etc.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Its possible that Wicks had their own set up, do you have the original engineers manual or have you downloaded a rascal manual?

We dont install the stuff that is easily available for DIY, but many here use Texecom panels. I would think that you could still set it up as 4737 so would not need to fit end of line resistors, programming is fairly basic

4 hours ago, Andy20166 said:

Appreciate your comment and yes for what I originally paid for the system I've had my money's worth.  Just the fact it was working fine until power went off was hoping it was just a matter of reprogrammnig

Until it happens again , oddly I went to a 9651 today that wiped it's nvm 

They happy to upgrade....