Security Installer Community

Fused spurs

Hi all

I was wondering what you one man bands do with regards to fused spurs

You've just sold a texecom wireless system to a domestic customer and what do you do about the power?

I'm interested as I'm starting to enter the domestic market and wanted to know the accepted solution

I know you registered boys will say spur always and it's down to the customer, which I agree.  But as I'm feeding the grudge purchase bottom end of the market I can't afford to be, that's how it has to be. 

Interested in your thoughts

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Have it agreed that the customer is to provide unswitched unindicated FCU with 3A fuse, if it's not there come installation date provide a plug top and document as a temporary measure.

With long lead perhaps in some cases?

11 hours ago, scrimshanker said:

Hi all

I was wondering what you one man bands do with regards to fused spurs

You've just sold a texecom wireless system to a domestic customer and what do you do about the power?

I'm interested as I'm starting to enter the domestic market and wanted to know the accepted solution

I know you registered boys will say spur always and it's down to the customer, which I agree.  But as I'm feeding the grudge purchase bottom end of the market I can't afford to be, that's how it has to be. 

Interested in your thoughts

Are you PART P registered? You can install an additional socket or FCU without any need to notify the works. I always provide a U/S 3 AMP Spur myself included in the price of install. If there is any major chasing involved I fill the chase and explain it will need to be re-decorated by the customer. Suppose it depends how much time you have allocated to your job.

You just have to be a competent person to fit a fused supr providing it not in a special zone such as a kitchen of bathroom.

You need a test meter to check for earth fault loop, rcd test, insulation test etc, and have to issue a minor works cert for the spur.

Tavcom in Southampton do a day course for it.

You don't need to test the full house...

If you adding a new circuit to the consumer unit then you would need to carry out a full installation cert for that one circuit you are adding.

If you are adding a spur to say a ring main then you can carry out a minor works cert.