Security Installer Community

CNM Primus 8 ch Power Fault

acestu

Hi,

I have a CNM Primus 8 channel DVR with a weird power fault, ie if you plug the power supply in and then switch on there are no lights on the front and it seems dead, if I dissconect the hdd molex connector then the board will run and lights come on, the hard drive is fine and if I power it seperately from a bench supply then it spins up and I can get the system up, if anyone has any advice or a schematic for the board I would be grateful.

thanks in advance

Stuart

Hi,

I have the correct voltages on the molex connector, what I am thinking is that I have been given the power supply for the cameras as it has a 6 way adapter on it, the owner swears that it is the only power supply, looking at the pcb it has by the looks of things a hefty rectifier diode and some smoothing caps and regulators so i am thinking that it should be a raw ac adapter rather than a 5amp dc supply, it is not marked on the input it just says 12v but if I could get some documentation or if somebody could tell me what there power supply is for this dvr that would be magic.....

Thanks

Stuart

2 hours ago, acestu said:

Hi,

I have tried powering the unit up with my 12 volt 10amp bench power supply and it does exactly the same thing, so thats 3 dc power supplies I have tried....

Thanks

Stuart

You try another HDD?

Or buy one of those cheap adaptors eBay , power up the HDD independentlythen it will prove your theory , whatever the theory is lol

Should work if its the HDD dropping it through internal pay

Either way isn't this skip fodder?

From a quick google search I found this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SECURE-CHANNEL-RECORDER-STORAGE-VIEWING/dp/B00HHBLJ64

Buried in the spec it says: -  Power Source DC 19V/3A Power Consumption 60W

So if it looks like that one perhaps it needs a19V psu not 12V which may be the problem.

If you have a variable bench one you could try that and slowly bring the voltage up, even a 13.8V one (lead acid charger) may boot it up for testing.

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

Hi guys,

Yes tried 3 hard drives Yeti, I have several hdd power adapters but switching the drive on and the box on seperately sounds like disaster left with a customer, System Q, excellent find, my search brought this up but I saw that it was currently unavailable and I was looking for cnm's details so I could ring them, but I reckon it could be a 19v AC adapter as all the conversion components are on the pcb,,,,,,,I will let you know 

Thanks

Stuart

Hi,

Just tried ramping dc voltage up to 19v still no joy, the case fan seemed to go a lot faster though so if it is connected directly to the input after the on switch then this would suggest that a 12 volt dc fan should be supplied with 12 volts dc and not nineteen, I can't trace the tracks on the pcb as it is multi layered..........

Thanks

Stuart

17 hours ago, acestu said:

Hi guys,

Yes tried 3 hard drives Yeti, I have several hdd power adapters but switching the drive on and the box on seperately sounds like disaster left with a customer, System Q, excellent find, my search brought this up but I saw that it was currently unavailable and I was looking for cnm's details so I could ring them, but I reckon it could be a 19v AC adapter as all the conversion components are on the pcb,,,,,,,I will let you know 

Thanks

Stuart

External drive psu was only to prove what your saying lol

It's still skip fodder

Hi sussed it,when i  first took the lid off the machine the yellow wires came out of the molex connector on the pcb, so i replaced with another one, what i didn't notice is that the manufacturers have not used the standard configuration on the plug, so when plugging any drive in it was a dead short on the board, anyway all kicks up perfectly now and not so toot and skip worthy now, after all I have shoved 20 volts up its **** and all is still ok.........

cheers

Stuart

2 hours ago, acestu said:

Hi sussed it,when i  first took the lid off the machine the yellow wires came out of the molex connector on the pcb, so i replaced with another one, what i didn't notice is that the manufacturers have not used the standard configuration on the plug, so when plugging any drive in it was a dead short on the board, anyway all kicks up perfectly now and not so toot and skip worthy now, after all I have shoved 20 volts up its **** and all is still ok.........

cheers

Stuart

So must be good earner on this job ?