Security Installer Community

Scantronic ion16 upgrade to ION40 Hybrid possible?

rak32h

Hi been reading and searching these forum for a day or 2 and wonder if anyone can comment

I currently have a Scantronic ION16 wireless system professionally fitted and working for a few years with a pyronix GSM dialler attached,, (2 door sensors, 10 Wireless Sensors, 2 Programmable key pads and key fobs)

Im thinking of upgrading it to a ION40 hybrid wireless system connected via Wireless not ethernet to my router as with this i can remotely enable/reset the Alarm system for anywhere in the world supposedly

Ive been quoted a couple of hundred to do the upgrade by a professional fitter  but i was thinking how easy is it

Im I.T literate so hooking to the netowrk is a going to be the easy bit.

I have some questions before i even touch the control panel

.Regards the actual Control Panel is it a entire control panel swap or can a module be swapped within the panel?

I have the engineer code that i use to temp disable the keypads - is there a separate engineer code for the control panel?

Do all the Zones / keyapds , diallers have to be setup on the new system or will the IOn40 module import this config from the programmable key pads.

Im only going to do this to my system to see if i can save myself approx £200 on labour

Any suggestions would be helpful

Edited by rak32h

I've only ever removed Ion's

however should you change the endstation you will have to program the 2 door sensors, 10 Wireless Sensors, 2 Programmable key pads and key fobs back onto the system.

If a have a wireless bell(s) you will need to do that too

again I don't work with them, you MAY be able to import the old programming into the new controls,

Mr? Veritas God

8 hours ago, rak32h said:

i was quoted £400 for the ION40 unit to replace my ion 16 - i will still use my existing programmers and sensors. - hence asking the question if its easier to do it myself

£400 parts & labour? Cheap imo 

Sounds like a good price if they know what they are doing.

It's certainly not easier to do it yourself,. Never looked at the Ion myself but your going to have to learn how it all works, programmes and goes together.

For example, you say hooking it up to the inet will be the easy bit, but do you know where to enter the IP settings on the panel?

It depends how much you value your time versus your money, if you do DIY it maybe best to read the manual a few times and then get the panel sensors enrolled and tested first.

If you have any further specific questions break them down in another thread, you may find someone that has used the Ion can point you in the right direction.

Worked on plenty Ion's, unsure if you could upload the ion16 programming to the 40h as I've never done it before.

The panel can be programmed in approx 10 minutes from the keypad (by someone who knows the panels) anyway so wouldn't go down that route.

As above seems a good price so I'd pay that rather than trying to DIY.

10 hours ago, grantc said:

im just wondering if ist a big job installing the replacement ION40 panel / module do the connectors just plug in  etc . , programming the panels i dont mind too much been in IT for nearly 30 years so i guess i will have some technical expertise to work aroudn that 

Worked on plenty Ion's, unsure if you could upload the ion16 programming to the 40h as I've never done it before.

The panel can be programmed in approx 10 minutes from the keypad (by someone who knows the panels) anyway so wouldn't go down that route.

As above seems a good price so I'd pay that rather than trying to DIY.

17 minutes ago, rak32h said:

Just buy the panel and swap it over if your confident you can program it then.

Wouldn't mess around swapping over PCBs ect. (May have different rated PSU - PCB is definitely a different layout) 

Justswap the complete end station over - it has the same footprint as the ion 16 so will be a doddle. 

22 hours ago, grantc said:

Just buy the panel and swap it over if your confident you can program it then.

Wouldn't mess around swapping over PCBs ect. (May have different rated PSU - PCB is definitely a different layout) 

Justswap the complete end station over - it has the same footprint as the ion 16 so will be a doddle. 

Cool will do this - , hopefully i dont bombard everyone with questions if it goes wrong.