Security Installer Community

LCD display blank

Rekusu

What ho one and all,

Some years ago, I installed a G4 Accenta Mini with LCD display for an elderly neighbour.  It was not a problem as there was already existing wiring and I 'kinda' knew what I was doing because I had installed the same for myself.

Until today, it has worked with no problems.  However, this morning and about two hours later, while she was in the house and the alarm was not set, it activated.  She turned it off both times with her code and then called me.

I wanted to view the log, but the LCD display is only showing a top line of 'black' squares, no lettering; the lower line shows nothing.  I tested the alarm and it is working as it should; the Walk Test, the sounder, all working fine.

I have been reading the manual but can find nothing regarding resetting the display. 

However, there is a possible other issue.  This morning, around the same time she said the alarm activated, I believe we had an instant, very brief power outage and again, two hours later.  I think this because my wife told me that when was using her computer, it all went dead.  I found a relay we use  had turned off, reset and all was fine.  Then around two hours later, the same thing and I think the room lights flashed off for a brief instant, but the computers certainly did.

Could this have caused her alarm to activate and if so, as it was not set, why?  But of more importance, how do I reset the display?

Toodle pip and thanks

Rex

Is the panel back up battery healthy? When was it last changed?

Probably when the power outage happened, there wasn't enough in the panel battery to run the system. 

The outside bell would then ring when voltage was temp removed from it (provided the bell battery is ok).

I'd be checking panel battery and aux voltages and take it from there.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.  I guess it was around 4 years ago the I installed her system so yes, it is probably time for a battery change.  I am visiting this afternoon so will take my volt-meter along and check it.

An electrical expert (computer?) suggested that by de-powering the system for a few minutes, that should reactive the display.  I'll give that a shot and let you know.  I image my last post was the installation of her system!

Again, thanks to all

Yes, could be an IT nerd but certainly, disconnecting the mains and battery input and reconnecting, did bring the display back to life.

However, although the battery is showing 12v, I will replace it.  But in all likelihood, the battery was not the main issue, a mouse having a meal of the cables was!  I can repair it and then protect to ensure that mouse cannot have dessert.

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

All fixed, cable repaired and display back, doing what it should.  Additional measures taken to ensure that the mouse cannot nibble the cables where they are completely inaccessible. 

The neighbour has also had the council vermin guy around and poison bait has been scattered around.  Hopefully, all good for a few years!

12 hours ago, Rekusu said:

Gentlemen,

All fixed, cable repaired and display back, doing what it should.  Additional measures taken to ensure that the mouse cannot nibble the cables where they are completely inaccessible. 

The neighbour has also had the council vermin guy around and poison bait has been scattered around.  Hopefully, all good for a few years!

Rats will be back soon lol