Security Installer Community

FIRE ALARM advice needed

Hi guys. When you don’t know where else to turn forums usually point you in the right direction. So I’m hoping someone here can help.  

Im a commercial tennant Letting a 98 sqm unit within a much larger building. 

Im currently in dispute with

my landlord regarding fit out costs.

One of the costs im disputing is for the installation of a fire alarm.

Firstly I’m not even sure I should have this cost as I’m just a tennant renting a space within  their building!

Let me explain what they have installed. 

A kentec synchro view panel lcd repeater panel. 9 optical smoke detectors and one break glass button. The detectors are installed in a suspended ceiling so I’d imagine a relatively easy install. 

Now my understanding of a repeater panel is to act as a slave to a main fire alarm panel is this correct?

Also my landlord takes responsibility for testing/maintaining and conducting fire drills which tells me they treat the whole building as one fire alarm system. 

What i believe my landlord is doing is charging me a percentage of the entire buildings fire alarm fit out. 

I cant imagine how else they’ve came to a figure of £4000 for what I’ve discribed above. 

Can someone confirm if my

understanding of the repeater panel is correct?

And if possible can someone give me a ballpark figure of what an install like this should

cost?

cheers

john!

When I quote for fire I work out my price in the normal way,  days plus parts etc. then I count up the devices and multiply by 140 if the figures are about the same I know I have the price correct.

You need to include sounders, call points, panel, and repeaters in the calc. To me £4k sounds too strong but I havent seen the site.

6 hours ago, John373 said:

And if possible can someone give me a ballpark figure of what an install like this should

cost?

10 devices + controls £2250.00+vat,  I assume there also alarm be sounders..... but I've not costed for these, nor for containment, or access equipment

19 minutes ago, norman said:

What does your lease say? 

Many moons ago I did 12 systems in a shopping centre tenant  to provide there own system & pay to connect to the centers, connection was £300 per system payable in advance most paid cash on the day, engineer had around £1500 in his pocket for 2hrs work...

Mr? Veritas God

My portion of the building is 98 square metres. I have one call

point. 9 detectors I can see and a repeater panel. It’s a dental surgery  so two surgeries, two toilets, tea room, decontamination room, store room and reception two detectors in the reception area. 

The lease is is as clear as mud. However it may say I have to pay for such things. I just feel the cost is extremely excessive. I believe I’m being charged for a portion this huge building. When I only want to pay for whAt is within my rented four walls. 

13 minutes ago, John373 said:

I believe I’m being charged for a portion this huge building. When I only want to pay for whAt is within my rented four walls. 

The loop runs though the building, might be very easy to chop & change it to do your bit or might have been a new loop card  & long run back the controls...

Again a repeater might have be very easy to chop & change it to do your bit or might have needed a  card  & long run back the controls...

I suspect 4k will be the cost of the works + a margin for centre, 10%, 100% who know's ?

Has the job been done on sunday  night at triple the labour cost?  I don't know, 

If possible speak to the other units to see if they've been bum raped for 4k

I expect you'll be able to negotiate it down, however I'd assume will be using the large LPC type of co. rather than somebody small & local  ?

Mr? Veritas God

This is the thing. They claim that’s what they paid out so that what we have to pay. 

So theyre been bum raped. Until that is we sign lease. 

LPC? Law practice?  Yes. But I doubt they have the funds to pay them!  Shambles. They trying to charge me £1800 for access control. I have one door with a lock and key. Lol. 

2 hours ago, MrHappy said:

10 devices + controls £2250.00+vat,  I assume there also alarm be sounders..... but I've not costed for these, nor for containment, or access equipment

25devices, plus 5call points  , Mx addressable panel , remote panel (those small things that cost arm am leg) 

Not including cabling cost £4k subbed out with cert liability blah blah blah

2 hours ago, John373 said:

My portion of the building is 98 square metres. I have one call

point. 9 detectors I can see and a repeater panel. It’s a dental surgery  so two surgeries, two toilets, tea room, decontamination room, store room and reception two detectors in the reception area. 

The lease is is as clear as mud. However it may say I have to pay for such things. I just feel the cost is extremely excessive. I believe I’m being charged for a portion this huge building. When I only want to pay for whAt is within my rented four walls. 

Repeaters cost as much as the panel in some cases I think