Security Installer Community

Qualification/Certification

David147ac

Hi all.. New member to the forum looking for some guidance, I currently run a small business installing CCTV systems and was hoping to offer Domestic alarm installations too. Can anyone point me in the right direction towards a reputable training course and advise what sort of certification would be needed thanks David.

Hi David

Learning to install alarms is not quite as simple as most people think, a few weeks in the classroom wont really give you the understanding the standards. Mainly because the standards keep changing. If you want to just install burglar alarms and are not bothered about Police response then just do a course like Tavcom, this wont really teach you about actual manufacturers products but it will teach you about the items and the principles.

If you really want to learn then the only way is to work for someone for a a couple of years get some experience and understanding. Engineers that have worked for me for 5 years or more are still learning now.

Hi Peter/Norman thanks for the reply, and yes for the time being Standard home burglar alarm systems are the main priority, probably just the one brand for our own installs.

Other than the aforementioned training courses is there anything else to take into consideration i.e aditional electrical qualifications  for the mains voltage side of the install ?