Security Installer Community

Old Garage Alarm

Alex161

30 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

does every circuit work...

does the system work when the mains power is off, does the bell ring when the panel is completely powered down

do you have a 20min cut off timer in the external box or does it ring for 3hrs+ ?

I believe all curcuit's work as it does not cause any problem and will work with mains off. Only looking for change as with new door opening automation being added, I want to be able to have an alarm that is controlled by a remote fob which is why I now feel that a sensor alarm would improve matters.

Edited by Alex161

al-yeti

Wireless zones is just what I am now looking at fraggle. Don't you read the other replies?

May I suggest that you don't bother to reply further to my enquiry as I find your response is more to be a 'smartie' rather than to be helpful to someone seeking advice from this forum for the first time.

Edited by Alex161
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Alex161 said:

Thank you for the logic. I will perhaps have to look at either paying more or adding a few sensors and alarm myself.

In my opinion Alex due to the age of system ect it is nearly always more cost effective to replace all the bits with the exception of the wiring if that all tests out ok.

I myself like the idea of the house and garage under one system, it means more flexibility and you will likely still pay the one maintenance charge per year.

best of luck with it.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Alex161 said:

al-yeti

Wireless zones is just what I am now looking at fraggle. Don't you read the other replies?

May I suggest that you don't bother to reply further to my enquiry as I find your response is more to be a 'smartie' rather than to be helpful to someone seeking advice from this forum for the first time.

Your in crack

Cheaper to add wireless zones to house 20m doesn't mean anything , may I suggest you read your requests lol and don't be sensitive not trying to be smarty lol

Edited by al-yeti

2 hours ago, Alex161 said:

Thank you for the logic. I will perhaps have to look at either paying more or adding a few sensors and alarm myself.

How draughty is the garage? You could go down the wireless route but the only come with passive infra red motion detectors, for hostile areas such as garages I would always  advise dual technology which are only available as hard wired. If you are thinking DIY why dont you buy a couple of dual technology detectors and hard wire them into the existing panel yourself? This would be far more reliable than a cheapo diy wireless bit of tat 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PeterJames said:

How draughty is the garage? You could go down the wireless route but the only come with passive infra red motion detectors, for hostile areas such as garages I would always  advise dual technology which are only available as hard wired

honeywell do a wireless dual tec

10 minutes ago, goncall said:

honeywell do a wireless dual tec

1 minute ago, james.wilson said:

so do hkc

Not in the op's budget they dont, by the time he has purchase either kit it would have been cheaper to get the pro co in. Also I know HKC would be trade only, not sure about Honeywell. 

9 minutes ago, norman said:

I thought those days had gone?

If HKC is available to the public it is certainly isnt cheap. HKC Tech support are not willing to talk to people that have seen a picture of an alarm system and think they cold get a job on the side subbying for ADT  

10 minutes ago, norman said:

Days of trade only are disappearing fast PJ and most trade counters will deal with anyone with a fist full of cash.

Same as electrical/plumbing/builders places anyone can buy anything they want this game is no different 

6 minutes ago, goncall said:

Same as electrical/plumbing/builders places anyone can buy anything they want this game is no different 

Exactly, and I'm sure we all do the same, I certainly do.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

2 hours ago, norman said:

I thought those days had gone?

Not yet, but they just got hunters in Slough to start selling the hkc gear it's on there website for trade only no pricing 

Problem around this area is the £300 brigade will buy it and sell onto the public, total lunatics working for a cheap day rate 

Maybe just maybe, if they sell enough to trade they won't go with Joe public 

Edited by al-yeti
Same old no speaky English proper

22 minutes ago, goncall said:

Me too,I changed a thermocouple on my mams old Mexico boiler part readily available from any trade counter no questions 

Nice work Gaz, would have been a few bob to get someone in. I had 3 heating engineers look at my  Baxi it was only 5 years old but was working intermittently , one didn’t want to do it, one didn’t know what was wrong and the last wanted to replace the pcb.

i had a little look about and found the fan pressure switch was so high res it was taking 240 in and about 160 out, got the part and swapped it (£20) and was perfect after. 

2 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Not yet, but they just got hunters in Slough to start selling the hkc gear it's on there website for trade only no pricing 

Problem around this area is the £300 brigade will buy it and sell onto the public, total lunatics working for a cheap day rate 

Maybe just maybe, if they sell enough to trade they won't go with Joe public 

I wonder how they make their money? 

13 minutes ago, sjsturner said:

Nice work Gaz, would have been a few bob to get someone in. I had 3 heating engineers look at my  Baxi it was only 5 years old but was working intermittently , one didn’t want to do it, one didn’t know what was wrong and the last wanted to replace the pcb.

It's a basic boiler tbf she has had heating co,s look at it before,but my old man installed it and as his forte was bms it's all the zone valves ,flow/return and circ pumps that pull hot water from different areas to heat another area all controlled by a panel he built and they haven't a clue how it works they just want to diss it all and start again,my old mam says there's a drawing he made before he passed on but no one can find it,one day I might suss out how it all works :blink:

i had a problem with my old Apollo boiler again rang around they didn't want to know as its 25 yr old managed to find some Young British Gas lad who works on them all the time and it turned out it was a pilot direction tip onto the thermocouple replaced for around £10 

Edited by goncall