Security Installer Community

Old Garage Alarm

Alex161

Hi Guys,

We have a 30 year old home with a detached garage. My home system is well maintained and not a problem, but I have never had the garage system serviced as it has always performed well, even though it is a key system wired to 3 doors and one window.

Now that I am having the two u/o doors changed to electronic opening, the garage alarm will need some changes.  I looked in the box this morning and would not attempt to change anything myself, but ringing round to find someone willing to come out on a small job is difficult, so hence this forum.  My existing service company only want to quote for putting in a new system

I am thinking that I need a couple of new bells, as the existing ones could be better, also need to change access on the two u/o doors and rear door.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a service engineer in the South Birmingham area please. Many thanks and hope I am not using the forum for wrong reasons.

Edited by Alex161

If your looking for an installer we have a section of our members here.http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/forum/268-uk-security-installers-by-regional-police-force/

From what you have posted it's highly likely a new system is the most comprehensive solution.

Contacts offer little protection if the door isn't opened as intented. With it being in a garage it would likely be easy to cable for sensors or other forms of detection more suitable.

For the cost of the time to replace the controls etc, it would be silly not to suggest full system over an upgrade at first.

Many thanks for your reply. Offering a new system is OK, but the cost seemed high and he offered no other solution. The present system has worked well for some time but I know that some internal sensors would be a good addition. Just want someone to be realistic about it.

3 hours ago, Alex161 said:

Don't know the actual make it just says Ultra II on the front of the box and nothing more inside. There is a PCB and battery linked to the two doors, back door and window and if it has worked, I have attached photos

Garage Alarm.docx

Photo as above

Edited by Alex161

Did you ask the garage door man if he could do the door contacts? Its a fairly basic system no eol's . 

It does looks like the battery was changed a couple of years ago, so I assume someone serviced it then?  So cant you ask them?

Most co's would want to change the panel, it is quite old, the problem you have when it comes to adding a couple of bells is warranty issues when the panel goes down and takes the new bells with it.

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply.  I did not ask the man who is fitting the new door opening systems, but did explain what I was looking fr when my existing operators came to quote. They just wanted to renew the whole system.  They come to my home each year and charge £90 inc VAT to check the system. It takes them about 15 -2 mins and about each 3 years the battery is changed.  Time before last I remember asking the engineer to look at the garage and he changed the battery for me without charge. I did tip him though.

I just feel it unnessasary to pay out about £380 for a new  system for my garage when the existing one works. Even changing the control unit shouldn't cost that much (say £100?)  I would have been happy with a £150 ?

2 minutes ago, Alex161 said:

At realistic price, sure.

You want set of controls for £150.00 ?

Less vat thats £125,

Materials would cost me £65+vat  I'd expect an employee to cost 1/2 a day & transport

Can't afford to do it.

Mr? Veritas God

15 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

You want set of controls for £150.00 ?

Less vat thats £125,

Materials would cost me £65+vat  I'd expect an employee to cost 1/2 a day & transport

Can't afford to do it.

I would have thought that you could buy a box ayt trade for within £50 and then £100 to fit. I am obviously out of date and it's not my field, even adding vat on that. Thank you for your input.

Edited by Alex161

19 minutes ago, Alex161 said:

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply.  I did not ask the man who is fitting the new door opening systems, but did explain what I was looking fr when my existing operators came to quote. They just wanted to renew the whole system.  They come to my home each year and charge £90 inc VAT to check the system. It takes them about 15 -2 mins and about each 3 years the battery is changed.  Time before last I remember asking the engineer to look at the garage and he changed the battery for me without charge. I did tip him though.

I just feel it unnessasary to pay out about £380 for a new  system for my garage when the existing one works. Even changing the control unit shouldn't cost that much (say £100?)  I would have been happy with a £150 ?

£380.00 is very reasonable, assuming that the installer is decent. Your maintenance contract will not just be about the service visit either, if you have a problem at silly o clock in the morning like you bell ringing and you cant stop it, you would phone your alarm co and someone will be there.  It cost me more more than you pay in year per week to provide that service for my customers. 

• Upvote 2

I am now thinking that it may be best to ignor the present system and just have a PIR system with a couple of sensors pointing at the two entry positions. Alarm would then go off if any of the three doors were opened. Any suggestions of makes to look at that would have a remote control that could be operated from as far as the car in the driveway please.

10 hours ago, Alex161 said:

I just feel it unnessasary to pay out about £380 for a new  system for my garage when the existing one works.

If it hasn't been serviced how do you know it works? Just because it's not making noises doesn't mean it works.

Edited by KWCFC

4 minutes ago, Alex161 said:

As the alarm system is operated every single day and the alarm goes off if doors are opened, requiring the key to be inserted and turned, it's proof that it works!

Dude , what alarm do you have in the house as in what model exactly 

46 minutes ago, Alex161 said:

As the alarm system is operated every single day and the alarm goes off if doors are opened, requiring the key to be inserted and turned, it's proof that it works!

does every circuit work...

does the system work when the mains power is off, does the bell ring when the panel is completely powered down

do you have a 20min cut off timer in the external box or does it ring for 3hrs+ ?

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

9 minutes ago, Alex161 said:

My enquiry is about my garage and not my house, which has a god wired alarm and serviced annually.

Yes but what alarm do you have in your house Muppet , maybe it can have a wireless area added , as it's so good or is it old hat to 

Just now, Alex161 said:

Probably old, Muppet! Only interested in the garage alarm on it's own Dude!

Ok fair enough fraggle , so your not interested in adding a wireless zones to the garage which maybe cheaper on longer run, if system is maintained as you say will be not much more expensive on service