Security Installer Community

Password

David 1974

Hi David.

There is a procedure for resetting a password, this has a few security checks in it to establish who owns the DVR. The security checks are there to prevent genuine DVR owners having their DVRs security being compromised by a third party.

Similarly, the security checks helps prevent DVRs that are on maintenance agreement with an installer being taken over without the original installers agreement. As the Eko is an old model I don't think this would be the case.

Step one will be to get the DVRs serial number. To do this look at the rear of the DVR and you should find it on a small label. If you can not find the label simply switch off the DVR and reboot it with a monitor attached, during the boot up the AlienDVR will display its serial number and model, note these down. With this data ring “Robert” at System Q Ltd and he will guide you through the process. 

Telephone  01246 200 000 press Option 6 -ask for Robert 

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

You will need a proof of purchase receipt of the equipment David. Thats what I was told and I had already purchased the reset software but they would not give me the code. I asked the owner and of course he only had a receipt for the unit he was renting and not the equipment that was left in it from the previous company that went bust.

Ended up having to purchase another DVR.

55 minutes ago, SystemQ said:

Hi David.

There is a procedure for resetting a password, this has a few security checks in it to establish who owns the DVR. The security checks are there to prevent genuine DVR owners having their DVRs security being compromised by a third party.

Similarly, the security checks helps prevent DVRs that are on maintenance agreement with an installer being taken over without the original installers agreement. As the Eko is an old model I don't think this would be the case.

Step one will be to get the DVRs serial number. To do this look at the rear of the DVR and you should find it on a small label. If you can not find the label simply switch off the DVR and reboot it with a monitor attached, during the boot up the AlienDVR will display its serial number and model, note these down. With this data ring “Robert” at System Q Ltd and he will guide you through the process. 

Paul.

Isn't step one prove identity and so on?

54 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

isn't step one prove identity and so on?

Yes it is, the serial number is how we do that as we hold details on the original purchaser.

We would contact them and ascertain who owns the product. 

System Q Ltd.

2 hours ago, Hillbilly said:

You will need a proof of purchase receipt of the equipment David. Thats what I was told and I had already purchased the reset software but they would not give me the code. I asked the owner and of course he only had a receipt for the unit he was renting and not the equipment that was left in it from the previous company that went bust.

Ended up having to purchase another DVR.

Hi.

If you want to PM me some details again such as serial number I can look in to this for you, as I have no details.

Please be aware thought as a Company we have no legal right to reset and break in to a DVR that we don't own and do not have the owners permission to do so.

Sometimes a business can go bust on an installer and the installer doesn't get paid. The Company that goes bust  may still have the DVR/NVR and may approach us for an admin reset.  If when we approach the original installer (purchaser) to see if they would accept us resetting the DVR/NVR for a third party they do sometimes say no as they (the installer) still legal own it.

Where an end-user has had a product installed and the Installer has subsequently gone bust and left the enduer with a product that they paid for but the installer no longer trades we would in those circumstances reset the product for them or their new installer.

System Q Ltd.

1 hour ago, SystemQ said:

Hi.

If you want to PM me some details again such as serial number I can look in to this for you, as I have no details.

Please be aware thought as a Company we have no legal right to reset and break in to a DVR that we don't own and do not have the owners permission to do so.

Sometimes a business can go bust on an installer and the installer doesn't get paid. The Company that goes bust  may still have the DVR/NVR and may approach us for an admin reset.  If when we approach the original installer (purchaser) to see if they would accept us resetting the DVR/NVR for a third party they do sometimes say no as they (the installer) still legal own it.

Where an end-user has had a product installed and the Installer has subsequently gone bust and left the enduer with a product that they paid for but the installer no longer trades we would in those circumstances reset the product for them or their new installer.

As explained to various people at System Q the unit was empty for 6 months when my customer took over and the system was running as security for the owners unit. All I wanted to do was set the unit up for remote viewing on his phone.

I bought the reset software thinking it was going to be a 10 min job then all the nonsense regarding who owned the DVR came up. I have an account with System Q and have been buying your equipment for years. I explained the reason to my customer who was baffled by the situation. His words "replace the DVR then but not with the same incase there is any hassle". So another make of DVR was installed as per customer request. 

Anyway a lesson learned and if I come across anymore system Q DVR's to take over ill make sure and ask do they have a receipt of ownership for the DVR. 

36 minutes ago, Hillbilly said:

As explained to various people at System Q the unit was empty for 6 months when my customer took over and the system was running as security for the owners unit. All I wanted to do was set the unit up for remote viewing on his phone.

I bought the reset software thinking it was going to be a 10 min job then all the nonsense regarding who owned the DVR came up. I have an account with System Q and have been buying your equipment for years. I explained the reason to my customer who was baffled by the situation. His words "replace the DVR then but not with the same incase there is any hassle". So another make of DVR was installed as per customer request. 

Anyway a lesson learned and if I come across anymore system Q DVR's to take over ill make sure and ask do they have a receipt of ownership for the DVR.

Hi.

As indicated above If you want to PM me some details again such as serial number I can look in to this for you but without the serial number I have nothing to go on.

And again please remember we don't have any legal right to reset and break in to a DVR that we don't own and do have the owners permission to do so.

An analogy may be perhaps if you lost say a mobile phone or tablet you wouldn't want Vodafone or Apple for example resetting it with out establishing who owns it.  Similarly you would want us resetting your DVRS that you have fitted with out your permission.

However I do understand your frustration so if you can give me a serial number I will look in to it for you.

Paul

System Q Ltd.

5 hours ago, SystemQ said:

Hi David.

Paul.

Great, unless the owner brought the DVR and you have to get the to reset it..... Got that T-shirt!!

1 hour ago, SystemQ said:

Hi.

As indicated above If you want to PM me some details again such as serial number I can look in to this for you but without the serial number I have nothing to go on.

And again please remember we don't have any legal right to reset and break in to a DVR that we don't own and do have the owners permission to do so.

An analogy may be perhaps if you lost say a mobile phone or tablet you wouldn't want Vodafone or Apple for example resetting it with out establishing who owns it.  Similarly you would want us resetting your DVRS that you have fitted with out your permission.

However I do understand your frustration so if you can give me a serial number I will look in to it for you.

Paul

Paul,

I don't have the serial number as the DVR was thrown out when replaced. We could argue about this for a long time but maybe warn installers this before buying the resetting software please. A 10min job lasted an hour plus I travelled 40mins to site and all for nothing.

30 minutes ago, David 1974 said:

How much would the reset kit be? And would it no be easier to buy a new dvr

As trader if it was possible offer a repair , reset kit or software would be cheaper especially if you deal with the same kit often

19 hours ago, David 1974 said:

How much would the reset kit be? And would it no be easier to buy a new dvr

For a one off its cheaper to buy a new dvr as the kit will only reset the recorder if you can prove you own it. 

We always put an installer user and password on the recorders when we install them, it makes it easier when we come to service it, if the main user is not there, we dont have to make lots of phone calls to find out what the pw is, and often the customer forgets the pw so we can come and reset it for them, sometimes an employee leaves and he was the only one that new the pw so can we come and reset it. It just makes sooo much sense to have an installer password in the recorder.

• Upvote 1