Security Installer Community

Can I replace my alarm panel battery with a car battery?

Tommygunn

It looks like I´ve got an alarm panel battery problem because there have been a couple of power outages in the past few days resulting in alarm activation.

Therefore, I was thinking, can I simply wire up a car battery instead of the low capacity battery that´s installed in the panel?

Will there be any problems with the panel charging circuitry or is it essentially a straight swap, so to speak.

I have a Honeywell Accenta Mini G4 panel.

Cheers,

Tom.

It wont fit, and the panel isnt capable of charging it, other than that it will work. But you are better off replacing it with a battery designed to fit and work with your system. It will hold your panel up for at least 12 hrs and will fully recharge after 24 hrs 

PeterJames,

It wont fit...

I presume you were joking?

I will be replacing it but I just wanted something as a stand-in for the time being on the end of some bodged in fly leads.

It won't charge, ok, I'll leave it in that case.

Anyway, I've just got back and pulled out the battery and it is reading less than 5V, so it be dead. I've also disconnected the piezo on the bell box just in case there are some more power outages, silent alarm for the time being.

Cheers,

Tom.