Security Installer Community

Gardtec 800 having problems

Steve Jones

I have had a gardtec 800 series alarm for many years and has been very well behaved......I have changed the battery myself as a precaution against it failing...I have two keypads LCD the one by the main exit door sometimes displays “ system in use please wait “ I wait for 30 seconds or so and it clears allowing me to set the alarm......it only happens when I use this keypad.....the other one is used every night to part set.....is it possible thie exit  keypad has a fault.......?

also I have the engineer code and need to use this while I remove a PIR for decorating..... it can’t remember the steps to set engineer mode....could someone help please.

If I have to replace the exit keypad, is it still possible to get a new one ? Or is a used one ok

thanks

1 hour ago, Steve Jones said:

it can’t remember the steps to set engineer mode....could someone help please.

enter code, "do you want the set system" press no

"do you want to program system" press yes

I have had a gardtec 800 series alarm for many years and has been very well behaved......

new rkp is be around £90 for the part, I'd bin the lot of it

Mr? Veritas God

Seems like a spurious fault to me, when we used to install these, and had around 100 on the books, I had never heard of this fault, assuming it is indeed the case that the other keypad hasn't recently been used when the message appears.

Until recently I'd have been reluctant to suggest binning these systems, but assuming it is an 800 rather than the later and better 816, I'd say the time is probably nigh for these.

That said in those days it was relatively new & not a potentially 20 year old piece of kit...

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• 3 weeks later...

Have a few questions, please.....
I have a rather old gardtec 800 system, with two keypads ( ace I think ) recently the exit expand sometimes displays “ system busy please wait” when setting the alarm.....I then thought I would test the system, but the engineer code I have used in the past does nothing, after pressing the code it just shows unset ??
Are these issues likely related ? Could it be data corruption or a hardware fault ( keypad and or control panel )
As the system is old, I am considering powering down the system and trying to reset the engineer code, if ok then I could replace just the keypads.......but the board is 15-25 years old...

Any comments / suggestions on my upgrade repair path ?

Thanks

F27EB7F0-EBA8-46F7-8D41-79F63CFC4535.jpeg

I do know if you are entering a code in one keypad then the other keypad will say System in use...

Its is possible that the keypads may need relearning, I do know on the 595 / 600 / 601 etc you have to learn each keypad (I think from memory you hold yes / no at each keypad and a number is assigned)

Or as what others have suggested, the 800 system is quite old now... Maybe an upgrade may be the best way forward

Pretty sure we had a small number of 800s with those RKPs - I remember initially it was the keypad PCB only which you either fitted directly into the end station or bought a case for.

Can't remember when the newer style keypad launched. We mainly fitted the 816 anyway - I can't remember when the 800 itself was withdrawn.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• 3 weeks later...

This was the original keypad, the control panel was fitted in 2003 as an upgrade to a system originally installed in 1990

Hello

I agree I should replace my ageing gardtec 800 (840 I think) alarm system, it has several PIR’s and smoke detectors connected, has individual tamper connections,  still works fine, but want to upgrade it, preferably to a up to date gardtec system, someone suggested a 600 ??

dont need wireless, as everything currently wired

1-which current system is the most compatable, 2 keypads plus a control  panel. Hopefully a new gardtec system will be have a similar wiring layout ?

2-the new systems apparently have a single one wire tamper circuit, so I am advised, is this suitable to connect to a modern panel ? Will it require any mods ?

3- my electrician friend is happy to install this for me, having done several already, I don’t require it to be contract maintained, so can I buy the gardtec keypads and panel myself

thanks

• Downvote 1

agreed, but I thought I could possibly get some answers on this forum....

he he actually asked me to enquire for ideas, he doesn’t buy the equipment, just installs it.....so answers to my questions would really help...

so from your comment I assume the tamper method hasnt changed, individual tamper on each sensor, the  panel, keypad etc...

thanks

Thank you, is the most compatable  panel to replace mine..?

Any modern panel can be made "compatible" but many panels of that size will not be a drop in replacement.

A G2-20 would require you to EOL all the devices for example.

You would need a DP compatible panel if you didn't want to replace all the sensors/fit EOL's

There are many types of tamper protection, on something that you are DIYing its not relevant what type as long as it works IMO.

Many poorly installed jobs seem to ditch the tamper completely, link it out or wire it incorrectly in a non-functional way.

It's more likely to be the programming you will stumble on, this is why you should use kit your installer is competent with, or get someone in who is.

I reprogrammed the system I have now myself, just had to be methodical.....was hoping the gardtec 600, which was suggested would be an easier swap over, same companies use similar board connections, so I am told....

can gardtec be bought by by the public, or do they supply to,installers only ?

thanks

I am retired, so have some time to spare, thanks for your concern......couldn’t find anyone selling gardtec...

my problem is, that it seems so difficult getting answers on forums, no disrespect intended.....I asked a question on a certain plumbing forum and was told off, that if I needed to ask that question I should employ a plumber..

am of the opinion that many forums try to worry the OP to the point he she will employ a tradesman....

thanks

Buy the 600 and get on with it where you get stuck just ask here 

Although I don't know anything about the 600 lol 

If your system is all wired then probably even the honeywell flex will be a better option 

The wiring won't be an issue as you can work out what is what before swapping over 

am of the opinion that many forums try to worry the OP to the point he she will employ a tradesman....

"Steve" I hope the DIY sex change went well...

The active posters on plumbing or alarm forum are probably earning a living from that trade

I have direct a/c with risco, but unless there is a reason like only a risco product fit in the wallspace I'd be using a premier or a full euro,

If you want to do your panel change,  great stuff 800 - 600 means placing resistors in all detection devices or creating a global tamper

I'd allow a 1/2 day, for alarm eng to do the job,  

Mr? Veritas God