Security Installer Community

Work extension and tech upgrade

Driller

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well in the installer world.   A few of you may remember my installation of CCTV and Galaxy panels of a few years ago (and much mirth over drainpipes ;)). 

I'm going to be building a large extension on the work premises and although the current G2-44 with it's extra RIO panel should hold it's own, the analogue Techwin CCTV is going to need an upgrade to a 16 channel IP system.  Will probably upgrade the home system at the same time, this time with a bit more Symmetry perhaps...

It seems that a lot has changed in the time since the last install with IP being the go-to thing.  It would appear that in middle of the road systems there is a choice between 2MP with 4MP being even better if there is sufficient bandwidth in the network to support it.  Same principles for FOV and choosing lenses presumably.

Having got my head quite well around the analogue world I now find myself a newby in the world of IP.  Any general tips or recommendations? Will probably go for Techwin again for good quality to price ratio although they appear to have been bought out by another company.

In addition can anyone recommend a standalone duplex IP intercom system that could be used between say 10 rooms with each unit being able to call all the others, not necessarily with a door unit (this could be a separate system)?

Well, all the local medical establishments use either aiphone or Bosch for intercom, used to use Philips M100 but it appears thats long gone!

(I've just reread and see you were after voip anyway). I have setup an intercom using freepbx on a raspberry pi and cheap snom handsets. That way you can use the presets to dial a 'voice page' etc... which if answered becomes a speakerphone call.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

34 minutes ago, Driller said:

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well in the installer world.   A few of you may remember my installation of CCTV and Galaxy panels of a few years ago (and much mirth over drainpipes ;)). 

I'm going to be building a large extension on the work premises and although the current G2-44 with it's extra RIO panel should hold it's own, the analogue Techwin CCTV is going to need an upgrade to a 16 channel IP system.  Will probably upgrade the home system at the same time, this time with a bit more Symmetry perhaps...

It seems that a lot has changed in the time since the last install with IP being the go-to thing.  It would appear that in middle of the road systems there is a choice between 2MP with 4MP being even better if there is sufficient bandwidth in the network to support it.  Same principles for FOV and choosing lenses presumably.

Having got my head quite well around the analogue world I now find myself a newby in the world of IP.  Any general tips or recommendations? Will probably go for Techwin again for good quality to price ratio although they appear to have been bought out by another company.

In addition can anyone recommend a standalone duplex IP intercom system that could be used between say 10 rooms with each unit being able to call all the others, not necessarily with a door unit (this could be a separate system)?

Seems you will be buying hiwatch made by hikvision plenty options available it seems , goto be better than swann.....

57 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Well, all the local medical establishments use either aiphone or Bosch for intercom, used to use Philips M100 but it appears thats long gone!

(I've just reread and see you were after voip anyway). I have setup an intercom using freepbx on a raspberry pi and cheap snom handsets. That way you can use the presets to dial a 'voice page' etc... which if answered becomes a speakerphone call.

That's an interesting idea.  We have an IP phone system in place with Cisco units so maybe that could be modified.  Need to be a one touch affair though.

28 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Seems you will be buying hiwatch made by hikvision plenty options available it seems , goto be better than swann.....

Was hoping to avoid Hikvision, Swann no chance lol

24 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Axis ya tightwad!

Looks like their prices have dropped drastically, could be a possibility.  Any thoughts on 2mp vs 4mp?

Love the new multi quote system btw!

Edited by Driller

11 minutes ago, Driller said:

That's an interesting idea.  We have an IP phone system in place with Cisco units so maybe that could be modified.  Need to be a one touch affair though.

I know very little about Cisco as they are a bit proprietary for my liking, but on the snom I simply programmed each of the 12 fastdial keys with the voice page code followed by the extension, cloned the quickdials across all the units, and printed inlays as required.

I imagine the Cisco would offer pretty much exactly the same features though?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

36 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

I know very little about Cisco as they are a bit proprietary for my liking, but on the snom I simply programmed each of the 12 fastdial keys with the voice page code followed by the extension, cloned the quickdials across all the units, and printed inlays as required.

I imagine the Cisco would offer pretty much exactly the same features though?

That sounds like it could work well and I just just found the web based setup for the Ciscos so will give it a bash-thanks!

4 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Been a while since I have seen your name around, all well in the drilling dept?

Would a HD coax or hybrid solution be an option if you want to keep the existing without re-cabling?

You will need to think about your infrastructure and bandwidth if using IP, it all depends on the site.

Hi SWB, yeah the drilling's going good thanks, must be doing something right as they're dying to get in lol

TBH I think the easiest is going to be a rewire-it's all single storey with suspended ceilings so dead easy for pulling network cables and that way I get to sample the joy of IP.  For bandwidth presumably good quality CAT6 or 7 with a clean install and decent POE switch?

You still following F1? Rosberg finally got it (controversially) but it's all got a bit tedious now.