Security Installer Community

Milestone VMS

17 hours ago, scrimshanker said:

I'd agree with the expensive, in my experience I find most people use avigilon

Yes but then your stuck with only being able to use avigilon cameras. Milestone is expensive especially when you consider that the likes of Dahua and Hik are free and they are catching up quite quickly with their analytics. The deciding factor between Milestone and cheaper solutions is risk, if anything happened to avigilon you stuck with something you cant expand or repair, the Dahua and Hik are in my opinion high risk if you are going to use them in a MOD site or similar, that only really leaves Milestone unless you have your own solution. I have just quoted Dahua for a 164 camera system, its a low risk site if the Chinese want to log in and watch people driving around a car park thats fine with me, though I will make it quite hard for them to do that in the first place with a VPN  

2 hours ago, PeterJames said:

I have just quoted Dahua for a 164 camera system, its a low risk site if the Chinese want to log in and watch people driving around a car park thats fine with me, though I will make it quite hard for them to do that in the first place with a VPN  

Crikey, how big is the car park...?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

10 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Yes but then your stuck with only being able to use avigilon cameras. 

Your not, we have a college running Avigilon and they have Axis and mobotix cameras  on some of the other buildings

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

5 minutes ago, Nova-Security said:

Your not, we have a college running Avigilon and they have Axis and mobotix cameras  on some of the other buildings

Really? I was told that you could only use their cameras with their VMS by Milestone

Avigilon works with around 90% of cameras out there and milestone works with pretty much all. 

Over 6000 supported cameras on milestone, meaning they have dedicated drivers (device packs) and the rest run on onvif although I wouldn't recommend it. 

Edited by scrimshanker