Security Installer Community

Veritas 8 installation bug

Solomon

We've had a veritas 8 system for some time and there have been no issues. It is being used in our outhouse/office and uses just a single zone.

Recently we have been remodelling the office and the motion detector ended up being inside a toilet cubicle, so I decided to move the sensor.

The sensor is now wired, as far as I can tell, in exactly the same configuration as before only using a different length of 6-core cable.

Now, when trying to set the alarm, I get a continuous series of single beeps whilst the zone 1 LED is lit red - I assume to show an error with the zone 1 detector, reinforced by the single beeps (instead of multiple beeps).

I have tried shutting off the power and disconnecting the battery to try to reset it to no avail.

A red light is showing in the detector, albeit quite dimly.

Could anyone help me debug it please?

IMG_0974.thumb.JPG.8ec87808eaec7358c4c017bc06b21c6d.JPGIMG_0975.thumb.JPG.51736aed3f82346c80089a558aa28c55.JPG

Is the tamper switch closing? Stretch spring a little

If you do some trial and error to prove the cable but putting the yellow and blue together in one terminal and then try it with the alarm red and black at the sensor end and see if and when the panel tries to set normally 

You get me?

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

Is the tamper switch closing? Stretch spring a little

If you do some trial and error to prove the cable but putting the yellow and blue together in one terminal and then try it with the alarm red and black at the sensor end and see if and when the panel tries to set normally 

You get me?

Pretty sure the tamper function is disabled when I put the covers back on. I will try tweaking the wiring a small you suggest and see what happens.

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

I cant see the panel but is green white reversed?

As far as I know I completely duplicated the wiring from the original installation.

do note that the green and black are almost impossible to differentiate in the photos - it's very dark green.

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Wiring looks fine from what I can tell.

How many times is the system beeping?

Likely to be a tamper issue I agree.

Or maybe a blown fuse would make sense if the PIR is active all the time.

It's a constant beeping - approximately and consistently one beep per second. I understand that the number of beeps can give you a hint as to what the problem is - 3 beeps for the zone 3 detector, 10 beeps for a power supply problem etc. I have heard the 10 beep warning and the beeps are very close together in time, and then there a pause of around 1 second. I assume that the warning sound I'm currently getting is a zone 1 detector warning.

Fairly sure it's not a tamper warning - once I've got the covers back on and press reset the tamper lights go off.

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

I cant see the panel but is green white reversed?

Lol didn't spot that , could be cos they normally have negs together in the panel end

26 minutes ago, Solomon said:

As far as I know I completely duplicated the wiring from the original installation.

do note that the green and black are almost impossible to differentiate in the photos - it's very dark green.

He means you sure it's negative to negative and positive to positive

On 20/11/2017 at 21:37, sixwheeledbeast said:

Green and Black wires are wrong way round in the sensor if you look very closely.

It will be one beep for zone 1 active.

Pretty sure that's not the case, tbh. The black and red are together on the left, the green and white are yet two central wires. The green is very dark.

Ok, things I've tried...

1) joined red and black at the sensor end. This allowed the alarm to set properly but, obviously, not trigger the alarm with movement.

2) joined blue and yellow at the sensor end. Immediately set off the tamper alarm. No change regarding being able to set the alarm.

3) swapped red and black st sensor. No change.

4) swapped white and green at sensor. Power to sensor stopped.

beginning to think I've damaged the sensor?

On 23/11/2017 at 01:15, james.wilson said:

yes you can't just put anything anywhere you can damage it

Initially I didn't wire it in any other way other than the way the sensor had previously been wired. In debugging I may well have damaged it!

On 23/11/2017 at 07:13, aissecur said:

Hi, Have you checked you have not blown the Aux fuse?

If you can use a multimeter you could (if competent to do so) test to see if you have 12vdc at the panel  aux terminal

Perfectly competent to do so - I will try that, thanks.