Security Installer Community

Pyronix V2 Tel Speech Dialler

george.h

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The installation/programming instructions specify a range, 10-14.9V DC, but all the illustrations and even the PCB markings say 12V. My bench PSU tests this evening though have been revealing (and reassuring as it confirms Pyronix explanation of the behaviour):

Operate the V2 Tel according to the instructions, illustrations, and PCB markings, off 12V DC and within around 30 mins of being powered up the power LED will start to flash at 1Hz (50% duty cycle). The time before flashing starts is shorter with SMPS, possibly indicating a susceptibility to the harmonics many SMPS have on their outputs . I've tried this with four different supplies now:

12V 2A SMPS (actual output under load 12.04V) - flashing occurs

12V 800ma, regulated linear (actual output under load 11.75V)- flashing occurs

12V 3A fixed regulated linear bench supply (actual output under load 11.88V) - flashing occurs

0-30V 3A variable bench supply (voltage set to 13.75V using external DMM) - no flashing, power LED stays on steady

So, when operated from the AUX output of typical alarm panels, it should be fine. However, follow the instructions and give it 12V and it will flash with NO explanation in the installation/programming or end user instructions as to what it means. Now most areas of electronics if you specify your device/equipment requires 12V DC, it should operate properly of 12V, not do strange (undocumented) things unless you actually give it 13.75V.

In most alarm type scenarios it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, as the AUX will probably be higher anyway. The PSU designs are (usually) pretty simple linear supplies with trickle charging for the back-up lead acid batter (so will have to chuck out over 12V for this) and (often) little more than a blocking diode to provide switch-over to battery in the event of mains failure. Commercial/industrial grade panels would I suspect be rather more sophisticated.

However if using the V2 Tel in stand-alone mode, or using a separate PSU to drive it, ignore what the manual says and give it near the top end of its supply range.

Edited by george.h

4 hours ago, james.wilson said:

The old castle smart used to flash on low voltage issues. Possible a way of showing ac fail on the dialler? Pretty good idea imo

I agree totally - it certainly is a very good idea, and a very useful feature. Especially as one of it's other features is the ability to record "Battery Low" and "Battery Restored" messages, and program it to dial one or more of it's (up to) 9 predefined numbers to alert when the condition occurs - the "battery low" threshold being defined in the manual as 11.5V. This is in addition to being able to configure one of the 4 programmed outputs to follow the "Battery Low" status. By default output 4 is configured to follow the PSTN line status (normal/line fault).

However, not making the slightest mention of the fact that the power LED flashing means something, where it matters in the installation/programming manual, is rather dumb of Pyronix.

Indeed I could SWB....

I shall be doing that over the weekend, as it seems to take 20+ minutes for it recognise and flag low supply voltage conditions - at least that is what seems to happen. So it will be a case of start at the current 13.75V, which I've found it is happy with, then step it down (say) 0.25V at a time until it starts flashing, leaving it for 30-60 minutes between each step. Once I find the first voltage at which it starts flashing, I can then start stepping it back up, this time at (say) 0.1V until it stops. Then go back down again, still at 0.1V per step, until it starts. That will also help characterise any hysteresis in the low supply sensing.

I can also take it down to, and below, the 11.5V Low Battery level and verify it correctly flags that and tries dialling numbers to send voice alerts of the Low Battery condition, and again back up to check the Battery Restored alerts. I know it states the level in the manual, but given there are a reasonable number of errors in the instructions it would be good to verify it.

Probably seems a bit "overkill" to you pro's, but hell I've got the dialler, the variable PSU, the time and I'd like to know. And it could be useful info to others in the future.... ;)

Edited by george.h

58 minutes ago, george.h said:

I shall be doing that over the weekend, as it seems to take 20+ minutes for it recognise and flag low supply voltage conditions - at least that is what seems to happen.

That sounds about right, even if undocumented.

No point reacting straight away as otherwise every single 5 minute power cut and reverting to panel battery, or 20 minutes of high current siren ringing elsewhere causing a voltage drop - could cause a low voltage alarm.

I had no end of problems with a similar 'low voltage' feature on a GSM communicator, fitted to a car alarm. It would send the low voltage alarm, not if the car hadn't been used for weeks, which would make sense, but about an hour into each journey, if it was that long... Biazarre. And, no there was no voltage drop! Battery and alternator in A1 condition. Simply turned it off in the end.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Well I think that's the "low supply voltage" condition threshold for the Pyronix V2 Tel reasonably pinned down (at least for the unit I have) to between 12.10V and 12.20V.

When the supply voltage drops to 12.10V for 20+ mins the power LED starts flashing. Take it back up to 12.20V for 20+ mins, the power LED stops flashing and stays on steady. To pin it down more precisely I'd have to retrieve my programmable digital lab PSU from work-  it gives more precise control - and borrow one of the UKAS calibrated Fluke DMMs to verify it's actual output (I've not checked my DMMs at home against the work ones for a while).

I may as well test the "Battery Low" alert functions which dials on or more of the programmed numbers if the supply voltage drops below 11.5V.

Interesting though, and confirms what Pyronix (reluctantly) told me about the flashing power LED indicating low supply voltage. Would have been far simpler if they just put that in the installation/programming instructions (along with the actual threshold value) where it belongs. Would have taken, what, two lines to describe.....

Fully explains the behaviour I've been seeing using the fixed 12V PSU's I've been using, as they were giving out 12.04V (SMPS "brick") and 11.76V (plug linear PSU). I must have made an error with the 12.5V I quoted for the 3rd PSU.

Edited by george.h

Well that was fun - in a "nerdy" sort of way!

Have just done a quick test of the "Battery Low" condition alert on this Pyronix V2 Tel. Programmed my mobile number into it, configured my mobile number to be called in the event of "Battery Low" and recorded the "Battery Low" alert message. I also programmed output 1 to follow the Battery Low status. I then plugged it into my home landline, turned the PSU down from 12.5V to 11.30V (official threshold is 11.5V) and waited.

About 30 mins later it called me (with both the power LED flashing, indicating low input voltage, and output 1 status LED also flashing - indicating, as programmed, lower battery). It waited 2-3 seconds then hung up. It then called me again, and this time I answered "Hello" and it replayed the "Battery Low" alert message then asked me for the acknowledge code (which I couldn't remember) so I switched off.