Security Installer Community

Mjtee

Hi all, I am the (not so proud) owner and end user of a Pyronix Paragon Plus alarm system, 20 years old , I guess. We have barely used it due to its panel location being awkward to get to. 

On holiday recently we used an alarm system that had remote handsets that were a breeze to operate. Can I upgrade to a new panel with this functionality? 

Thanks 

42 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Why not look at a system that works with an app on your phone, far better than a handheld button system

Are apps getting hacked yet like they are for cars? 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

11 minutes ago, norman said:

Are apps getting hacked yet like they are for cars? 

Not yet, they work via a secure cloud. Its not impossible to hack but I am not so certain it would be so easy, you would need to know what alarm panel someone has for starters. With cars you know what brand already. 

29 minutes ago, norman said:

I reckon most new ewd would give you a good clue, most companies stick to the same for resis

Only people that work in this trade go around looking at bell boxes and stuff, nobody else does it not even the burglars

Thank you for a bundle of answers. I'm up in Central Scotland so I'll get looking for installers for a quote. 

Is there some way of checking that companies or self employed installers have the right qualifications / or accreditation / code of conduct etc. 

I have unearthed the Installation documents with default codes for master user and engineer. I'm wary of the alarm going off and not being able to silence it. It is currently showing a fault  led after I turned the power off to do some lighting work. That is probably the battery not being charged as it hasn't been changed for a while.

Thanks again.

www.nsi.org.uk and www.ssiab.com  these are the inspectorates for the industry. you can search using your postcode on the websites.

My advice would be to pick three companies, and then choose the company you feel most with which is not necessarily the cheapest.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

www.nsi.org.uk and www.ssiab.com  these are the inspectorates for the industry. you can search using your postcode on the websites.

My advice would be to pick three companies, and then choose the company you feel most with which is not necessarily the cheapest.

Thanks Peter.

17 hours ago, Mjtee said:

Thanks all. I've contacted a few companies in my area. We'll see how that goes. I'll report back . . . . .

Hi Mjtee,

We may be able to help you out if you get in contact with us. Would be great to offer you a help in this situation.

If you have no luck, we cover mainland Scotland. So should be able to get to you asap