Security Installer Community

Registered or Not?

Hi All 

Could I gauge how many professional installers on here are either SSAIB or NSI registered and how many find they don't actually need the registration as they don't do much insurance or police response work.

If you aren't registered do you find it harder to find work and what is your niche market?

cheers

For me it's a small niche market of those who are happy that the minimum price for a decent quality intruder alarm in a 3 bed semi is circa £600ish. No SSAIB / NSI here.

Those customers do exist, just don't expect a flood of them.

• Upvote 1

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Yeah some small business, sometimes it means I do the CCTV and Access whilst someone else does the approved intruder;

whilst usually this can be a bit undesirable, as they (approved intruder people) might try and steal the CCTV / Access back, the feedback I usually get is that the

alarm people are crap and lazy anyway plus unreliable and I'm great (but that still doesn't make it worthwhile getting approved).

A lot less callback / bother on CCTV and Access IMHO and esp. access a lot less muppets to quote against plus usually customer expectation it wont be £99.99 a door.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

interesting, on a rough average how many doors per system do you do, I imagine you don't get large buildings. but then again I doubt people care about registration for access. 

do you work alone or do you have a crew?

I ask as it will be just be and the occasional extra guy. was thinking big installs could be farmed off to sparks and I just fit the important bits

3 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

For me it's a small niche market of those who are happy that the minimum price for a decent quality intruder alarm in a 3 bed semi is circa £600ish. No SSAIB / NSI here.

Those customers do exist, just don't expect a flood of them.

£600?

That's what the £199 crew are doing, and they are the majority. You'll only be getting a 9651 (from me) for that, as I say, absolute minimum.

Average from me domestic is a grand, tomorrow's intruder job is £1200.

Edited by datadiffusion

Have you ever had to call out a trades person recently? Most of them are so unreliable its untrue, when you find someone that turns up when he say's he is going to, does the job as he say's he is going to, and charges what he say's he is going to charge, you tend to hang on to him. Personally, although I recognise there is a market for budget I try to steer clear it often costs more than I make out of it, and I end up fighting for every call-out, so much so I do not renew contracts on the customers that dont value the service I provide.

We have mostly large domestics and commercial customers most who need an approved co in order to get insurance. We do have many smaller customers too nearly all of them recognise the value of an accredited company. It costs more to run an accredited company, but the benefits for the customer outweighs the cost, many people would rather pay a little more and have the service they would expect. 

Of course I am not saying that every one man band is unreliable, no more than I am saying that every NSI Gold company is reliable and honest, what I am saying is being accredited affords me to run my business to provide value for my staff and customers 

48 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

But, simple no trick question, would you start a security company from scratch, today?

Nope, but assuming I had a bit of experience of running a business for someone else, I would definitely remortgage and buy another established approved company (from scratch) I think its by far the easiest way to start. 

42 minutes ago, norman said:

I wouldn't even buy a going concern tbf. Just a personal point, but when I factor in the family time it would take away 'v's the reward/risk, it's just not worth it. 

I must admit, the first 5 years my life was work, work, work, and I missed a bit of family life. I made up for it with holidays, and I did read my kids a bedtime story most nights though

• Upvote 1

I appreciate everyone's different and age makes you see things differently, 20 years ago maybe but had my eye on other things in readiness for my latter years .

You'd have holiday regardless though, a friend of mine is a part time postman and he's away for most of his 6 weeks a year, always abroad and always nice places.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

The good (and bad) thing about my other job is that it teaches you what burnout is and how quickly it can creep up on people, some of whom least expect it.

I had a bit of an Arf moment last week when a couple of the older people were talking about retirement. I realised I had exactly 30 years to go this month!!

A wise man once said... " I work with people who get their rocks off over it"

Yeah there are a couple of them at the running club who make out it's like Ibiza with free beer and I'm thinking WTF!?

Edited by datadiffusion

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

The good (and bad) thing about my other job is that it teaches you what burnout is and how quickly it can creep up on people, some of whom least expect it.

I had a bit of an Arf moment last week when a couple of the older people were talking about retirement. I realised I had exactly 30 years to go this month!!

Yeah there are a couple of them at the running club who make out it's like Ibiza with free beer and I'm thinking WTF!?

Assuming you all make it that long