Security Installer Community

Galaxy 500 firmware upgrade (2017)

AParsons

Have got a Galaxy 500 with G500 v1.25 UK  firmware.  The PCB says B0077 Rev 1.6 with the 0 struck out.  The PROM also has F028-01-125-P1 on it.  Anyone got a later PROM or know of an upgrade path?

The alarm was as good as gold for nearly 20 years then developed a battery charging fault - rest of the alarm still worked perfectly.  The alarm company said it was hardware fault and we would have to have new panel.  A new panel, a Galaxy Dimension 48C was fitted and within about 9 months it too has developed a battery charging problem.

I kept the Galaxy 500 with a view to tracking down the charging problem, it would most likely be a straightforward(?!) power component, transistor, capacitor or diode, on a long winter evening.  Set the 500 up with a keypad, 1k resistors on all the inputs, a battery and then cleared the memory with the jumper switch.  With no hardware modifications at all the 500 now charges the battery and even after several power cuts, I turned off the mains, it still charges and performs perfectly.

Anyone got any ideas?  Is it possible that the programming of the units could be causing the charging problems and the error BATT TEST FAIL?  Unlikely I know, but there is something funny happening here.

Am also interested in upgrading the 500 to the latest (for this panel) firmware.

Thanks,

Andrew (UK)

Does changing the battery in the dimension panel resolve the issue? Don't assume the same fault - it may be the battery.  The Dimension power circuitry is a decent design.

If the panel is mounted in an area with poor ventilation, the temperature inside will be elevated and the battery lifetime reduced.

1 hour ago, AParsons said:

Set the 500 up with a keypad, 1k resistors on all the inputs, a battery and then cleared the memory with the jumper switch.  With no hardware modifications at all the 500 now charges the battery and even after several power cuts, I turned off the mains, it still charges and performs perfectly.

but the PSU does'nt have the loading of running all the devices of your full system ?

1 hour ago, AParsons said:

A new panel, a Galaxy Dimension 48C was fitted and within about 9 months it too has developed a battery charging problem.

I'd assume a new battery with the new controls ?

eg- warranty work ?

Mr? Veritas God

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the input - had changed the battery and the problem on the original 500 persisted so we got a new Galaxy 48C installed.  It is true that in my shed the Galaxy 500 is only running one keypad and not the detectors for a 4 bedroom house - although that should be a pretty modest load for the mighty 500.  We called the engineer about the new battery charging problem and when he came it mysteriously went away and has not returned.

Any idea were I can get a firmware upgrade for the original 500 - I can burn a PROM if need be.