Security Installer Community

Intellisense 800L

Rissy

38 minutes ago, Rissy said:

Any advice?  (other than "just buy new" - not understanding the fascination of buying new all the time instead of maintaining and fixing old.  I like doing this.  I do it with everything.  It's a hobby ;) )

From commercial point of view a battery is £14 cheaper than a complete back plate, sending a man with a ladder to a site costs a lot more than £14

replacing the battery in an oddessy means taking it down, taking it on the floor apart & refitting, should a new battery not clear the fault or the plastic clips break its would have been cheaper just to fit a new one.

Mine would be supplied with a new lid, if you paying money you might as well get something shiny in return

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

On 21/09/2017 at 20:13, Rissy said:

I'd like to just change the battery.  I don't think the bell box is as old as the controller, since it's showing evidence of another company being round to install it.  So rather than waste useful resources, not to mention, loosen my purse strings even more... :D

Any advice?  (other than "just buy new" - not understanding the fascination of buying new all the time instead of maintaining and fixing old.  I like doing this.  I do it with everything.  It's a hobby ;) )

On 21/09/2017 at 20:13, Rissy said:

I'd like to just change the battery.  I don't think the bell box is as old as the controller, since it's showing evidence of another company being round to install it.  So rather than waste useful resources, not to mention, loosen my purse strings even more... :D

The newer company is probably just the "lid" not the guts.

i wouldn't entertain changing the battery as the charging circuit could be knackered ect ect. 

Far cheaper long term to change the whole unit.

In my honest opinion, if you don't know how to do the tests to check the battery  then I wouldn't bother touching it at all.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So on Saturday, I changed the battery on the bell box. (easy)  The original was definitely goosed.  3.43v.  Now the new one is giving 7.67v.  I did a series of tests of the alarm, but to be honest, I can't figure out any difference between before the bell box battery change and after the bell box battery change.  The bell box seems to receive power from the controller box.  Under both battery installations (dud battery, then good battery), upon opening the bell box, the squealer inside sounded, but only if the controller was powered.  When the controller wasn't powered, the bell box remained silent as i opened it!?

How is it supposed to work?  The bell box i mean.  When the alarm is not set, pulling mains power to the controller box results in nothing.  Pulling the battery back up from the controller box after this, results in nothing.  Only opening the bell box makes it squeal (IF the controller box is powered up!)

Does is work differently when the alarm is armed?  I'd expect that if the alarm is armed, and then if the mains power is removed, it should remain silent (due to battery back up to ride out the power cut), but then if the house or the bell box is interfered with either with the mains power in place, or not, then the bell box should sound, or as proven, if the bell box is interfered with, then it should sound.  Are my assumptions correct?

On 9/23/2017 at 17:42, sixwheeledbeast said:

If you kill your alarm does it ring out at a good volume for the full duration of the hold off and then recover within 24 hours?

I don't understand this question, sorry.

Texecom have a hold off disable mode for installation and testing, it's likely the bell was not functioning correctly due to this.

If the hold off voltage is removed, the bell should sound out strongly for it's hold off time (15 mins) and then stop. It should also do the same if it's lid is opened, or a negative is applied to trigger terminal.

It's also possible for the battery to be disabled, not connected or wired incorrectly at installation (seen this fault many times) so this maybe the case if you've swapped the battery like for like.

It could equally be possible the bell is not functioning correctly as pointed out way back in the thread, is very unlikely but a possibility you shouldn't rule out.

In a nutshell you've possibly  just wasted money on a new battery when a new bell complete with new battery was probably what was needed.

The question you didn't understand was designed to help ascertain the above.

Back up the ladders...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

When i opened the bell box to release the tamper trigger, the bell box alarm sounded, but by immediately closing the bell box lid again, the bell box alarm would immediately stop again.  I could literally control the bell box alarm by simply opening/closing the lid.  The alarm didn't continue on after even replacing the lid.  Is it supposed to then?

6 minutes ago, Rissy said:

When i opened the bell box to release the tamper trigger, the bell box alarm sounded, but by immediately closing the bell box lid again, the bell box alarm would immediately stop again.  I could literally control the bell box alarm by simply opening/closing the lid.  The alarm didn't continue on after even replacing the lid.  Is it supposed to then?

What happens when you diss the hold off