Security Installer Community

Texecom V4.00 Issues

PSE

This is the device list, The control panel is installed in the centre of a large bungalow

Everything installed here is within 8 metres of the panel. So, Why I'm getting the issues is the question.

I've done the install myself this morning, So i know positioning is bang on and nowhere near any interference

On the subject of contract, Its really poor and is in need of an urgent review in my opinion.

What I don't get is why you decided to go for the large screen iconic blue display keypad

How come Texecom didn't stick to the standard keypad with a contrast that's massively easier to read at almost any angle

Using a bigger screen, bigger backlight = more consumption surely ?, even with the energy save mode on it must consume more

I'm just both amazed and disappointed as to why this just isn't the product it should be,  The product needs a technical re-evaluation

However, the keypad back plate is a better design, Screw fixing points are much improved and are better than the wired version.

2017-09-04 11.58.16.jpg

2017-09-04 12.14.20.jpg

2017-09-04 11.58.22.jpg

Your version of Ricochet monitor is incorrect. V2.18.2.2 was released in 2014!!!

You need V2.18.6 for V4 panels, wireless keypad and the latest receivers. LINK HERE

Regarding the screen, first time anybody has not liked it, seriously, no other feedback regarding the colour or size. Contrast yes, BUT this has an enormous impact on battery life, hence why there is no adjustment. And generally thi is understood and accepted.

Can you show an example of the slow garbled screens? Did you see the video I posted?

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

Ok, But surely any as I see additional impact on a variable contrast could be offset if you made this with a conventional smaller screen

Smaller conventional screen, Less power requirement, less consumption.

Regretfully, I don't have any proof of the garbled display, Although I wish I did have to back this up
As I said earlier, The system was installed this morning, however will be ripped back out soon due to the keypads poor screen display

Admittedly, the video clip you uploaded isn't doing what these 2 keypads are, But you only have one connected there.
In addition, the video clip from your phone will show the screen resolution better that it is, However its not a real representation

This was an image I took earlier, It looks perfect, Not a single issue with contrast or clarity through a camera phone, When in fact its terrible to read the screen

2017-09-04 11.30.40.jpg

Edited by PSE

So did the keypads perform correctly on the site at the correct speed without issues?

Are you taking them out purely because of the contrast issues? Your own issue, or the customers as well? I am genuinely interested as this is not the experience we have had to date.

TBH I don't have an issue with the contrast on mine, phone recording or not, they are just a bit darker but easily legible. In my opinion more legible than the green screens.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

9 minutes ago, AdrianMealing said:

So did the keypads perform correctly on the site at the correct speed without issues?

Are you taking them out purely because of the contrast issues? Your own issue, or the customers as well? I am genuinely interested as this is not the experience we have had to date.

TBH I don't have an issue with the contrast on mine, phone recording or not, they are just a bit darker but easily legible. In my opinion more legible than the green screens.

The speed of performance on site was still very slow, Considering they were directly connected. Sometimes 2-3 seconds waiting for the next menu
The customer commented on it almost instantly whilst we did the handover demonstration, It was the contrast issues that was questioned that made it hard to read.

If the keypad is at direct head height its perfect and I probably wouldn't have an issue with it, But installing at the standard height is way off being clear to read at all
On the bench or walking around the property with it facing you is ok, perfectly readable as you are directly over it. But install it at the standard height and its a different matter.

Edited by PSE

13 minutes ago, PSE said:

The speed of performance on site was still very slow, Considering they were directly connected. Sometimes 2-3 seconds waiting for the next menu.

There is something not right, you saw my video, this is how mine works, and works even with more than one connected to the system. I don't know what's wrong with yours but something is. Can we get someone to site with you with some more gear? Or is the customer adamant for change because of the contrast even if the speed issue was resolved?

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

52 minutes ago, AdrianMealing said:

There is something not right, you saw my video, this is how mine works, and works even with more than one connected to the system. I don't know what's wrong with yours but something is. Can we get someone to site with you with some more gear? Or is the customer adamant for change because of the contrast even if the speed issue was resolved?

To be perfectly honest with you, as I've said above.. The customer has questioned it almost straight away on being quite hard to read based on what is deemed a standard keypad height
Crouching down to the level of the keypad, its perfectly readable and clear, but this isn't right and could only be rectified with contract adjustment, but its not an option available on the keypad.

One of the keypads is better than the other, The worst being in the garage below which is direct to the expander with no hops at a maximum distance of 7 metres distance between.
Its this one that is really an issue more so than the entrance hallway one.

The decision to remove was mine alone, I go by the strict rule that if I wouldn't have it, my customers are not having it. I personally would be unhappy with the performance of it mate in my house.
I just cant leave the customer with something that in my view isn't right, I just don't operate like that.

Edited by PSE

Ive managed to get hold of this, Its a little jerky but you will get the idea on sluggish,

This is the faster of the two keypads, It does get even slower when coming out of standby and sometimes have to press twice

You'll notice that I have to enter the code twice to get access, once just didn't touch it.

Not sure where the keypad errors are from, That's also worrying considering there is 5 on each keypad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ooj0kgj84wgvx9b/2017-09-04 18.52.51.mov?dl=0

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

yeah, the hand was as brown as the table

+40 deg for two weeks does that, or not washing, one or the other!:D

49 minutes ago, PSE said:

The decision to remove was mine alone, I go by the strict rule that if I wouldn't have it, my customers are not having it. I personally would be unhappy with the performance of it mate in my house.

I just cant leave the customer with something that in my view isn't right, I just don't operate like that.

Understood, and i know you dont, just trying to get to the nub of the issues.

The speed does not seem that much different to mine in your vid? BUT yes errors, just checked mine, got exactly the same, it may be to do with the learning process but will check.

Also understand about the contrast, i am wodering if we could offer a contrast option rather than a brightness option. Brightness on wired keypads is what will kill wireless ones, but contrast actually is different. I'm not even sure if the LCD module is capable of anything other than brightness. Let me check.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

2 hours ago, AdrianMealing said:

I don't know what's wrong with yours but something is.

Adrian, Out of curiosity I've just done another test at home with new kit.

I've just opened another wireless keypad, Learnt it to my 32XP with 3.1.8 firmware and took 5 seconds to pair and setup.

Its currently connected to the Premier Elite 48 on my house, I'm sitting in my office in a separate building about 20 metres away from the house panel/expander
Testing this keypad now, there is not a single problem with speed, Its literally flying around fast as fook and better than you would expect

This is a totally different video where the sheer speed difference is totally noticeable

My Movie.mp4

1 minute ago, PSE said:

Adrian, Out of curiosity I've just done another test at home with new kit.

I've just opened another wireless keypad, Learnt it to my 32XP with 3.1.8 firmware and took 5 seconds to pair and setup.

Its currently connected to the Premier Elite 48 on my house, I'm sitting in my office in a separate building about 20 metres away from the house panel/expander
Testing this keypad now, there is not a single problem with speed, Its literally flying around fast as fook and better than you would expect

This is a totally different video where the sheer speed difference is totally noticeable

My Movie.mp4

Yep just like mine, like I said there is something wrong with that kit, I don't know what it is but I need it back to check it out.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

The only difference is, It was purchased as a KIT002 with additional wireless keypad
The one here now is flying around with no issues, Could it be panel related rather than keypads. Clearly they work I've just proved / confirmed that

The KIT002 was one of the newer Elite 64, Firmware 4.00.24 and it was the first one we've installed of the newer variant and also for the wireless keypads
Admittedly I jumped straight onto bashing the keypad as to me, this is the latest product and thinking its just never a faulty panel.. it doesn't ever happen to us
Its effortless on my Elite 48 with a 32XP expander... What's your thoughts on this ?

Edited by PSE

Just now, PSE said:

The only difference is, It was purchased as a KIT002 with additional wireless keypad
The one here now is flying around with no issues, Could it be panel related rather than keypads. Clearly they work I've just proved / confirmed that

The KIT002 was one of the newer Elite 64, Firmware 4.00.24 and it was the first one we've installed of the newer variant and also for the wireless keypads
Admittedly I jumped straight onto bashing the keypad as to me, this is the latest product and thinking its just never a faulty panel.. it doesn't ever happen to us
What's your thoughts on this ?

I have no idea, but will get/do some testing tomorrow. I don't have a factory 64 panel, only one I flashed, I will get one of the guys onto it first thing. Thanks for taking the time out to have a further play, at least you now know they do work properly!! Will respond in this thread tomorrow when I have some answers.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

Just now, AdrianMealing said:

I have no idea, but will get/do some testing tomorrow. I don't have a factory 64 panel, only one I flashed, I will get one of the guys onto it first thing. Thanks for taking the time out to have a further play, at least you now know they do work properly!! Will respond in this thread tomorrow when I have some answers.

Thanks,

Just saw your clip, yep mine works a lot faster than that! Be interesting to find out what it is causing it, I don't have any net remote errors on mine.

contrast would be nice but not a game changer for me, mine seems clearer than yours but that could just be the recording playing tricks.

31 minutes ago, AdrianMealing said:

Must say superb support here, no-one else apart from Texecom does this currently

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I fitted one so far it was just the same, super slow, freezing and errors. Was like using a udl keypad on slow connection, 3 second wait until button responds. Gave up powered down, Monday morning back on site to finish and much better no errors, but no where near as fast as the good video. Looks like a wired.

This was a new kit with the 48w panel. Doing a 64 next week im wondering if its gonna be better. Just figured they were always gonna be slow as it's wireless.

Contrast I agree is ****, I always fit at eye level where possible. But this is not correct really should be same as accessible switches.

OK boys and girls, we have done some testing and have found the following:-

• There is an issue with keypads when they are right on the border of hopping, but don't. So in the tests we have done response and speed  is good when the keypad is at 40% signal strength or better, below that it will slow down and as the signal degrades, get to a state mentioned in this thread, slow, possible missing text on the screen etc... and then eventually hop, if there are devices available
  • The point at which hopping occurs can in some cases, with one hop, actually make the keypad respond as if its a direct connection, this is when the keypad signal to the device its hopping through is high, like 80-90% plus, and the devices signal back to the receiver is high, again 80-90% plus, its almost impossible to tell the difference. If below these numbers speed is affected, as expected, as advised we do say that hopping keypads should really only be treated as arming stations.
  • When the keypad signal goes below 40% it will start slowing down, the weaker it gets, the slower it gets.
  • So I guess the question is what are we going to do about it?
    • The R&D team are involved and discussing what we could do to improve the issues
    • It could be as simple as forcing the keypads to hop earlier than other devices, but this is my simplistic non engineering view(there is absolutely no need to change any other devices they do not have the characteristics that will exhibit these issues

So the advice i can give now is, regardless direct connection, 40% or better exhibits similar characteristics as a wired keypad.

I will update this thread again when I know more, and can only offer our apologies for the issues caused and the fact that this is not documented. An addendum will probably issued and the manual, will be updated accordingly.

• Upvote 1

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

1 minute ago, AdrianMealing said:

OK boys and girls, we have done some testing and have found the following:-

• There is an issue with keypads when they are right on the border of hopping, but don't. So in the tests we have done response and speed  is good when the keypad is at 40% signal strength or better, below that it will slow down and as the signal degrades, get to a state mentioned in this thread, slow, possible missing text on the screen etc... and then eventually hop, if there are devices available
  • The point at which hopping occurs can in some cases, with one hop, actually make the keypad respond as if its a direct connection, this is when the keypad signal to the device its hopping through is high, like 80-90% plus, and the devices signal back to the receiver is high, again 80-90% plus, its almost impossible to tell the difference. If below these numbers speed is affected, as expected, as advised we do say that hopping keypads should really only be treated as arming stations.
  • When the keypad signal goes below 40% it will start slowing down, the weaker it gets, the slower it gets.
  • So I guess the question is what are we going to do about it?
    • The R&D team are involved and discussing what we could do to improve the issues
    • It could be as simple as forcing the keypads to hop earlier than other devices, but this is my simplistic non engineering view(there is absolutely no need to change any other devices they do not have the characteristics that will exhibit these issues

So the advice i can give now is, regardless direct connection, 40% or better exhibits similar characteristics as a wired keypad.

I will update this thread again when I know more, and can only offer our apologies for the issues caused and the fact that this is not documented. An addendum will probably issued and the manual, will be updated accordingly.

Time for firmware hack?

Almost sounds like the old 'actually a bit TOO close to the transmitter' problem, a bit like the time we tried to tune in our T2 campervan* TV underneath Crystal Palace!

Can't knock Ade / Texe for support though must be really frustrating. Any feedback on those two faulty Exodus smokes I sent back Adrian? It's odd because I've fitted tons, and some have

gone the full ten years without issue, a good example being I have 30 of them on a small estate of 5 houses I wired and alarmed, oddly they were new builds on a slope so huge 'basements'

AND boarded lofts hence huge number), not a single false alarm to date.

And yet another house fitted 2 and the heat detector, in the ground floor, of all places, FA'd.

*hired

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands