Security Installer Community

Wifi CCTV system for domestic

mark auto

Need to install cctv on a new build domestic, chipboard floors etc so lifting the floor isnt happening, and the external walls are insulated with board type insulation i believe also, so fishing up cavities would be very difficult. Added to this, we want to keep the cameras at a reasonable level, ie not just slapped on soffits, this house is on a slope so it appears to be 2 storeys from the front, but its actually 3 storeys when viewed from the rear.  I toyed with one of the hik dome cameras that had built in wifi, but it seemed very unstable even sitting on my desk, it would work for a few hours through hik connect (which i think is awful BTW), then it would drop off, never to return until i defaulted the camera and started again, putting it back on our wifi network etc. I have thought about using IP cameras with POE injectors/PoE switches, network bridges etc, ie drill through a wall near a socket, camera outside, PoE inside, wireless link internally to the router, or use TP links or similar, but it all seems a bit messy. Is there an easy way of achieving this that im missing?

Are there gutter downpipes near usable camera locations? Run some ali tube or colour coded placcy conduit behind the downpipe.  If the homeowner isnt too fussy you could cabletie external cat5 behind the downpipe but 20mm conduit looks better.

nvr in the loft, wireless mouse, technomate 1080p modulator and your golden.

• Like 1

NVR in loft? Blimey.

Today I installed an Axis M7014 in a loft as a last resort (best place where all 4 analogue cables and a decent net point were) and wondered about heat,

and that unit is basically a giant metal heatsink itself. And it wasn't even that warm today.

Well, tbh re-using old analogue stuff was a last resort but that's another story. At least the 2 additional cams were mid range Axis.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

16 hours ago, petrolhead said:

Are there gutter downpipes near usable camera locations? Run some ali tube or colour coded placcy conduit behind the downpipe.  If the homeowner isnt too fussy you could cabletie external cat5 behind the downpipe but 20mm conduit looks better.

nvr in the loft, wireless mouse, technomate 1080p modulator and your golden.

When he quoted him for cableties rather than conduit you know what they want to pay for.......

• Upvote 2