Security Installer Community

A few questions for a newbie

Hi,

i have been running an electrical contractors for 5 - 10 years and over that time we have installed many alarms and CCTV.

its kind of got to the point where we have decided to expand intentionally into the security side just for alarms and cctv as quite honestly it's easier cleaner work to a degree.

Currently we are installing about 30 alarm systems a year and probably 6 lots of cctv. We only fot Hikvision CCTV and Pyronix for alarms.

my questions are:

1. Do I or as a business need to register as a contractor with the SIA?

2. How do I go about getting an enhanced DBS check as seems to be more for child care etc and nobody will do it.

3. I'm pondering on registering with the NSI on their silver scheme, however a little unsure as to if it's just another bill and it's going to tie me into mounds of legislation and so on? Is it worth registering?

thank you for any help you might be able to give.

3 minutes ago, ElecSecure said:

Hi,

i have been running an electrical contractors for 5 - 10 years and over that time we have installed many alarms and CCTV.

its kind of got to the point where we have decided to expand intentionally into the security side just for alarms and cctv as quite honestly it's easier cleaner work to a degree.

Currently we are installing about 30 alarm systems a year and probably 6 lots of cctv. We only fot Hikvision CCTV and Pyronix for alarms.

my questions are:

1. Do I or as a business need to register as a contractor with the SIA?

2. How do I go about getting an enhanced DBS check as seems to be more for child care etc and nobody will do it.

3. I'm pondering on registering with the NSI on their silver scheme, however a little unsure as to if it's just another bill and it's going to tie me into mounds of legislation and so on? Is it worth registering?

thank you for any help you might be able to give.

1. Got any bouncers?

2. Don't worry about child care any online company will do it for a fee 

3. Money and headache 

Aim for CCTV and alarms as a side earner , commercial CCTV and in general CCTV is a better earner

But definitely worth looking at other equipment aside from hik ,  unless you prefer to learn nothing else 

House bashers perspective of course 

1. Nope, no bouncers

2. Ok I'll look into it

3. Do you not think it will give me more credibility? I keep loosing business to another local company who is registered with NSI, he charged a lot more and fits the same.

Do you not like Hik and Pyronix? It's damn good equipment.

6 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Hik and pryonix are the same now. Are you looking at using bottom end gear or looking for something better?

I only fit 4MP or better, I only fit 8MP 4K systems now. I do a proper job such as Jane no cables visible, it's all in the wall, skimmed back in and painted etc, I have a very good reputation for doing a proper job.

Pyronix do good stuff, I know them inside out generally speaking.

7 minutes ago, ElecSecure said:

I only fit 4MP or better, I only fit 8MP 4K systems now. I do a proper job such as Jane no cables visible, it's all in the wall, skimmed back in and painted etc, I have a very good reputation for doing a proper job.

Pyronix do good stuff, I know them inside out generally speaking.

Jane?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

8 hours ago, ElecSecure said:

3. Do you not think it will give me more credibility? I keep loosing business to another local company who is registered with NSI, he charged a lot more and fits the same.

Could be as simple as not having a good salesman, or to flip the coin, they have a better salesman. Accreditation is a good starting point though.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

No but if you understand why you are losing the quotes (and this should be done on the follow up call) then if it' is an accreditation thing you have the ammo to look @ accreditation. More than likeley the seller form the accredited co will be bigging up accreditation (as they should I suppose if they are paying for it)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.