Security Installer Community

PIR or not with very active cat

So I'm installing my alarm at home it's a bungalow and fitting a pyronix euro 46 app hard wired.

So question is can I run the whole system with just window sensors and door contacts rather than PIRs .

I have a very active cat and I'm not sure even pet PIRs are any good ?.

What's people's thoughts or recommendations ? 

Many thanks 

Mark

Pet PIRs can be very good, esp. if a single cat I would have no hesitation in recommending two Vanderbilt PIR's - (IR120c or  e-line) the only drawback being

both are effectively discontinued due to changes in ownership. I'm sure others can make a recommendation though?

Perimeter protection is a good idea, but needs to be done properly and ideally internal doors should be locked.

Without an expander you will very quickly run out of zones too, as I would personally only fit one device per zone, in the old days it would

be common to have an entire floor on one zone of window/door contacts.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

You can connect whatever detection you want to your alarm.

You need to bear in mind that contacts will only operate if the frame is opened.

If "window sensors" mean shock sensors, consider bird strike and cats jumping on the window ledges.

Coverage on perimeter is generally less so you need to design the system around this.

Perimeter protection in the areas with pets and movement detection in other areas is recommended.

I have had good results with Bosch Blu pet sensors but using a movement sensor and asking it to ignore certain movement is not ideal.

A good option would be installing movement and perimeter protection in the areas required and using panel programming to control the enabled sensors.

This will need planning, good knowledge of the equipment and increase the cost of the system, but well worth it.

Great thanks for replying. 

So I really need PIRs then that's fine was just finding out alternatives. 

Understand with the shock sensors and bird/cat strikes. 

So the Bosch ones I assume it's these ones blueline gen 2 tritech as can't find any due tech . 

https://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/intruder-alarm-c-36/movement-detectors-c-36_116/all-c-36_116_37/bosch-blue-line-gen-2-bld2-pet-tritech-blueline-detector-p-2392.html

Don't think I need to go as far as perimeter . 

Thanks again 

Mark 

They are dual techs so use heat as well as doppler to detect objects.

Whilst a cat will of course still show up on doppler (microwave) the combination of the two signals allows the sensor to make much better informed decisions.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

32 minutes ago, Mark Rider said:

Ha ok this is why I find it so hard to decide what to get. So many different people recommend different things. 

What would you say Al Yeti

cheers

Mark

These guys probably know better, but I tried the Bosch ones with active cat and didn't work , had to go with perimeter protection in one room where cats found places to jump

13 minutes ago, Mark Rider said:

So in theory any dual text will work with a cat. 

No... it would still have to have a 'pet program'.

Dualtechs are more stable than PIRs alone in environmental conditions but on its own this has nothing to do with pet tolerence.

Edited by datadiffusion

1 hour ago, Mark Rider said:

I don't know much about perimeter protection what's the crack.

As in detection fitted to the perimeter of the room comprehensive enough to detect a break in.

This could be a combination of different detection to detect entry to the room. Contacts, Shocks, Active Beams etc etc.

10 hours ago, Mark Rider said:

Great thanks for replying. 

So I really need PIRs then that's fine was just finding out alternatives. 

Understand with the shock sensors and bird/cat strikes. 

So the Bosch ones I assume it's these ones blueline gen 2 tritech as can't find any due tech . 

https://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/intruder-alarm-c-36/movement-detectors-c-36_116/all-c-36_116_37/bosch-blue-line-gen-2-bld2-pet-tritech-blueline-detector-p-2392.html

Don't think I need to go as far as perimeter . 

Thanks again 

Mark 

I forgot they tried to be clever and called them tri techs they are the ones, follow the instructions they will be absolutely fine. I had a big dog jumping around on a bed to get snacks I had thrown on there. They are the best pet tolerant detector available

10 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Nah not with jumping cats

They are fine so long as you install them correctly, the animal must not be able to get within six foot of the detector, dont point them at stairs, I have hundred of them out there with no problems at all 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

I know what your saying pete but is still maintain perimeter protection is better. 

Agreed but perimeter protection would be better with, or without pets. However, its much harder to put siesmic detectors on every window and door, without having wires everywhere. 

I know that you have never been a fan of pet tolerant motion sensors, I used to be very sceptical, but I was very impressed with the bluelines when they first came out, and have never looked back, they just work. 

38 minutes ago, Mark Rider said:

So perimeter in a living room with patio doors and a big window.

What would you run for that ? 

Mark

A siesmic detector to the wind frame. 

1 hour ago, Mark Rider said:

So perimeter in a living room with patio doors and a big window.

What would you run for that ? 

Mark

vibe x2 on the patio with a combined.

Big window I dunno, is it a bay, plastic etc?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

22 minutes ago, Mark Rider said:

The window is same side as patio doors and plastic . 

Not sure what to do now as sound like the Bosch PIRs are good then others say perimeter is better lol. 

Mark 

Mark

Sounds as if you could do both