Security Installer Community

How to swap ADT panel for Galaxy G2 - without setting the sounder off!

I have just moved into a house which has been fitted with an ADT alarm system.

The panel is labelled as Ademco Microtech (Accord XPC, I think) and the system is simple just one contact (front door), three motion detectors, an internal sounder, an external sounder and a keypad (see photos).

The system is wired to the house phone line - although I can readily disconnect it.

Not wanting to pay ADT ~£30/month I have bought a Galaxy G2-12 to replace the Ademco panel, and I plan to run the Galaxy as an un-monitored bells-only alarm.

The Ademco system has been left powered up and unset, but I haven't been left a user code for the system.

I could ask ADT to come and decommission their system but they will want £££ to attend.

I need to power the panel down and disconnect the devices - including the external sounder - without ruining my new neighbours days by setting the sounder off!

There is a fused spur isolator next to the panel, and obviously I can disconnect the backup battery inside the panel when I shut it down, but from looking at the photos on the web the ADT external sounder looks like it is their standard Elmdene model which can be wired as an SAB, and I don't want to set that off.

Once the old system has been shut down I am fairly comfortable that I can sort out the wiring and the programming to complete the changeover.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks in anticipation.

2017-07-08 16.23.17.jpg

2017-07-08 15.47.40.jpg

2017-07-08 15.47.59.jpg

How you know it's a live bell?

Dis the mains and battery see if external sounder activates , if it doesn't job done as it might be dummy or faulty

If it sounds just reconnect power

There's no real way of suggesting how you should do it , some do it the H way , butcher it hang it up with a string put new panel in and move bell wire over last if you can't be bothered to power everything down 

Or any other way , like did power again bell will or should shut down after 20mins 

It's not a live bell in 99% of those systems, there will be an internal sounder that will require silencing. 

The Accord you have is a perfectly capable system and I'd keep that, any decent company can default and reprogram for you and add a external siren. 

• Upvote 1

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

6 minutes ago, norman said:

It's not a live bell in 99% of those systems, there will be an internal sounder that will require silencing. 

The Accord you have is a perfectly capable system and I'd keep that, any decent company can default and reprogram for you and add a external siren. 

Junk in the modern world