Security Installer Community

Replacement panel/keypad recommendations

Looking to update my old Abacus 6 which I installed myself some 20+ years ago to something more modern.

Other than the odd PIR activation, over its lifetime has been trouble free.

I have recently updated the bell box and the four PIR's to Pyronix KX15DT's so want to work with these and the existing wiring but will be replacing door contacts etc.

Nothing fancy, just two entry/exit doors, kitchen PIR on final set, two panic's and more often than not part set, only two PIR's due to cats left in house.

Want one remote keypad in the kitchen with the panel located in the loft as at present but might add a couple more PIR's.

What models would be recommended as a replacement for the Abacus.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Griffmaster said:

Was thinking of upto about £100 or so.

Would rather go for quality if there's such a thing.

Yes metal box like my Abacus and as panel fitted in loft cope with near freezing in winter to 38 degrees the other day....lol!

Better get a scanny 9651 if your considering the g4 lol

G4 would be a total downgrade IMHO.

It isn't even true LCD, IIRC aren't the zone descriptors all stored locally in the keypad which basically acts as a 'translator' from the signals that are designed to drive an LED keypad?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

When I installed my Abacus 6, for some reason can't remember why, I had the complication of fitting splitters, so how many zones should I be looking for to replace, will 8 cover it without past splitter complications?

At present I have.

1 keypad, don't need 2

5 users

4  Pyronix KX15DT PIR's, 2 of the 4 when on part set

1 garage door on contacts (not entry/exit)

2 panics

2 doors on entry/exit

1 sounder

Anything else need to know?

Would like to keep things simple and was thinking of the Accenta G4 metal as firemonkeys suggestion.

The Abacus was a good, reliable system for its time. The Accenta has always been somewhere near the bottom end of the market, although it's reliable enough. I would look at the Galaxy G2-20, 12 zones onboard, easy to use. If you buy contacts and PAs with built in resistors it would be a straightforward swap (your Pyronix detectors will already have them built in, just fit the relevant jumper links and alter the wiring slightly) Don't forget a new 7ah battery.

Out of interest, where did you put the splitters with the Abacus system? If they're near the panel, it's easy enough to make the existing cabling work with most systems, but if you've put them "in the field" so to speak and only run a 6 core to the splitter, you may not have enough cores for the system to work properly with something like the Accenta.

Trade Member

48 minutes ago, antinode said:

The Abacus was a good, reliable system for its time. The Accenta has always been somewhere near the bottom end of the market, although it's reliable enough. I would look at the Galaxy G2-20, 12 zones onboard, easy to use. If you buy contacts and PAs with built in resistors it would be a straightforward swap (your Pyronix detectors will already have them built in, just fit the relevant jumper links and alter the wiring slightly) Don't forget a new 7ah battery.

Out of interest, where did you put the splitters with the Abacus system? If they're near the panel, it's easy enough to make the existing cabling work with most systems, but if you've put them "in the field" so to speak and only run a 6 core to the splitter, you may not have enough cores for the system to work properly with something like the Accenta.

I would have thought that as a splitter effectively needed 4 wires (it was still alarm + tamper pairs to the splitter - right?) a simple conversion to EOL will solve that issue regardless of the splitter location.

(Note you would have to have the 2 panics on one zone, I usually hate zone sharing but would forgive it for a latching PA on a bells only domestic)

So, yes OP, 8 EOL zones sounds fine, but that's why I would forget the Gen4 though. Personally I would recommend a 9651EN or similar 'proper' EOL type 8 zones LCD panel.

EOL is where you can get alarm AND tamper over a single pair of two wires to each detector.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Splitters are adjacent to the panel in the loft so other than maybe some cable extensions. wiring otherwise should be OK.

What would the Accent initial setup be like versus Galaxy, similar to Abacus?

Edited by Griffmaster
Edit: From memory wired the lot using 6 core.

OP, I really would forget the Accenta. It's TAT.

A 9651EN or a Euro Mini (at a push a Gal - I would argue good panel but not so easy for DIY) would be far more similar to the Abacus, which at least was a professional panel.

Edited by datadiffusion

5 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

i like the accenta. Solid reliable bit of kit imo

yes its bottom end but for diy its better than yale etc

But well out of date now, its had its time and place just like the Tex veritas.

2 hours ago, james.wilson said:

i like the accenta. Solid reliable bit of kit imo

yes its bottom end but for diy its better than yale etc

I couldn't recommend any panel that only has a single tamper loop and/or no EOL if I'm honest, and it doesn't natively support LCD keypads either.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

I would have thought that as a splitter effectively needed 4 wires (it was still alarm + tamper pairs to the splitter - right?) a simple conversion to EOL will solve that issue regardless of the splitter location.

3 cores between the panel zone being split and the splitter. As I said, would be a problem swapping to an Accenta if the splitter was feeding, say, two PIRs. Obviously not an issue with a decent panel.

Not a big fan of the 9651, but someone mentioned the Euromini (totally forgot), which is great and gives you 10 zones.

Trade Member

For me it would be 9561 - you get VERY good manuals in the box with these, proper printed ones, with pages that explain the concept of EOL,

but Euro Mini has 10 zones giving you 1 PA per zone and one spare, have no idea how good or 'learner freindly' the manuals are though, never touched one.

Premier 24 would also be a very good option though all manuals are online, and that's slightly fancier in the programming stakes.

Galaxy is also an option, but, I would say least suitable for DIY newbie.

All are good, basic, LCD, proper trade quality panels though, and deffo nothing OTT for your installation.

9 hours ago, Griffmaster said:

So out of those recommend which would be the more straight forward to swap wiring wise with my Abacus?

Don't need fancy, just reliable.

Basic programming probably best get a flex 20

Premier will do your head in 

9651not enough zones , unless you can find a 9572 but wireless on this old stuff is not that good