Security Installer Community

Anglia defender 3000

Hi there good afternoon. I bought my Defender 3000 in the year 2000.  It has served me well since then but has lately started to give spurious alarms and I get the impressipn the spare parts are difficult to source.   I decided to bin this one and buy some form of wireless alternative. I mentioned this to the guy who maintains it annually and he wasn't too happy about it.  What I would like to know is what is the sequence of events to stop the alarm going off when I turn the mains power and start opening the box to remove the battery backup.  I assume that if I just turn the power supply off at the mains,  the battery will kick in and the alarm stay armed. 

What is the best way that I can go about taking the alarm down without annoying neighbours and defening myself.  Given the few words exchanged with the maintaining guy,  I am loathed to pay him.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Personally I'd leave it to a professional, but if you are determined to attempt this yourself I would start at the external sounder, be prepared for the noise (ear plugs) and high voltage if there is a strobe present.

Remove the lid and snip the wire to the actual sounder (often small, black and round). Should only ring then for a few seconds up to doing this. You can then remove at your leisure. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

There is a suggestion in the thread I linked that the bell isn't a SAB (i.e is not battery backed); it states it has no tamper anyway.

But either way follow the above and you shouldn't go wrong either way... though best left to a pro. Any pro so you could get other quotes for removal and/or replacement??

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Wow  ... that was quick ... and useful.   thanks.

If I disconnect the mains power from the control unit indoors, how long is the backup battery likely to last?

If I leave it 2 or 3 weeks, could I get over even the 5 seconds of alarm ringing?

Once again, thank you both for your rapid response to my query.

If the bell contains a battery (if) it will last indefinitely, and if you disconnect power indoors it will ring outside for at least 20 mins anyway.

That's what a normal system would do anyway, for this kit it isn't so obvious.

So you may as well do as suggested;

Bell first

Then mains off at control unit

Then pull control unit from wall & open up to remove battery inside

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Wow  ... that was quick ... and useful.   thanks.

If I disconnect the mains power from the control unit indoors, how long is the backup battery likely to last?

If I leave it 2 or 3 weeks, could I get over even the 5 seconds of alarm ringing?

Once again, thank you both for your rapid response to my query.

Many thanks.

I think i now have enough advice to get on with the job.

I appreciate the time and expertise spent on this query.

I have already purchased, and installed a Yale EF Series alarm.

I have sprayed the bell box black and added three letters to the front so that it isn't too obvious what alarm make it is.

Hopefully this uncertainty will be an added incentive for someone to burgle elsewhere.

Not that I have much of real value ... but the wife would be able to stand the thought of home invasion.

Before I used it 'live', I had the siren in a drawer in a spare room and did quite a lot of testing with various scenarios.

I haven't set it off accidentally, nor has it gone off on a false alarm.

The images from the PIR camera are pretty poor  ... but I had nothing at all with the Defender!

. . . . and it is nice to look at the system on-line to answer that question.  "Did you set the alarm?"

Up to now it seems to being doing all that is being asked of it.

Again,  many thanks for your time and efforts on my behalf.

Looks like you turned up here too late Yale one way wireless tat will go off every time a taxi drives down your street, you will be lucky if your two weeks in the sun this year will be false alarm free. 

You would be slightly better off not setting it in the hope that the box is a deterrent, I say slightly I am not sure if the yale tat poles, if it does then it will go off set or not 

• Downvote 1

Not feeling the Yale love. 

Regardless of our opinions on Yale (he's not asked for them btw) they are set at a price point and specific market. 

PJ not sure they go off every time a taxi goes past, there's 1 on my St and the next door neighbour gets taxis 3-4 times a week, I've never heard it go off. 

Yes in a professional world they are a poor choice but it's not our choice in this case. 

When was the last time anyone heard of a radio system being compromised via jamming etc? 

10 hours ago, Mrchips said:

I have sprayed the bell box black and added three letters to the front so that it isn't too obvious what alarm make it is.

Hopefully this uncertainty will be an added incentive for someone to burgle elsewhere.

Yale are tat IMHO, but their ONE selling, point, the ONE thing that makes them useful is that very recognisable yellow box and logo.

Burglars see it, they know you can't easily get dummy Yale boxes, they know the kit is easy enough to install it might just actually work,

unlike, say a dirty 20 year old H box or a blank, unknown box.

They also don't know if it's a 2000 or 2017 model as the boxes haven't changed in years, a bit like ADT. So for all they know it could be

the latest model with IP comms. I'd argue the branded bellbox is the one valuable part of a Yale kit.

Most resi burglars don't give a hoot about comms etc. imo, in fact I doubt they would know what you were on about. They are in and out merchants and know in the main the police will be a no show in any case so their biggest fear is confrontation, but most have a screwdriver or similar so are not too bothered about that tbf.

Just imo

11 minutes ago, norman said:

Most resi burglars don't give a hoot about comms etc. imo, in fact I doubt they would know what you were on about. They are in and out merchants and know in the main the police will be a no show in any case so their biggest fear is confrontation, but most have a screwdriver or similar so are not too bothered about that tbf.

Just imo

Funny that, customers won't even pay for a new cover to make it atleast up-to-date , but they do worry about those knight rider lights

37 minutes ago, norman said:

Just imo

Spate of burglaries in this road last year, they only attempted the ones without bell boxes, they even didnt bother with the yale alarm 2 doors down. But I would agree that in many cases they are in and out quite quick. 

57 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Spate of burglaries in this road last year, they only attempted the ones without bell boxes, they even didnt bother with the yale alarm 2 doors down. But I would agree that in many cases they are in and out quite quick. 

Police say don't lock internal doors as they cause allot of damage 

Personally nice loud internal bell , no open plan layout and lock them doors to slow them down , hopefully they just raid the fridge 

1 hour ago, norman said:

Just imo

No, I know they don't care about comms, but the point stands they have no idea with yale if it was installed last decade or last week, they date very well. The one good thing about them is the consistency of the branding I'd say.