Security Installer Community

Texecom Premier Elite 48 - QD false alarms

About 12 months ago I fitted a Texecom Premier Elite wireless system. The system commissioned without any problems and walk test was fine. The system consists of 6 PIR's, 4 Dual and 2 Quads. Since then I have had 4 false alarms, all on the Quad PIR's . The first 2 (about 2 months apart was on the landing PIR, one at about 5 in morning and one mid afternoon. I could see no reason for the alarm. PIR facing a number of closed doors and no windows. In the end I changed this out for a Dual PIR. Last night I had the second false alarm in the dining room. Again a Quad PIR facing in from the window and towards the center of the room. I took it down and saw no obvious issues with it. As a temporary measure I have set this sensor to double knock (7 seconds). I have just ordered another Dual PIR but would be interested in any views as to why I am getting false alarms. (Wishing now I had cabled the PIR's instead....)

Thanks, Nigel

Read more: 

Edited by Nigel Collins
mistake

Well, yes tbh if you had the slightest opportunity to cable, I would have, but hey ho. Frankly even the best wireless STILL isn't quite up all-the-job, all-the-time compared with wired IMHO.

It would be hard to comment on your false alarms without pictures and plans, tbh.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

It's likely to be detecting some temperature changes in the room, but it's hard to comment without seeing the system.

I also prefer to fit wired system myself, with my preferred brand of sensors. Fitting wireless ties you to the panel manufacturer for sensors.

I have on occasion been called to the odd unexplained FA from Radio Texecom QD's and Compacts in the past, which resulted in a DT replacement.

In most of these instances the sensor was subject to facing a window or heat source (poor positioning), or facing into a room where direct sunlight entered the room.

For example, someone having issues if they where on holiday but never while they where home, due to not drawing the curtains.

The quad's have been improved recently but if in doubt would fit a DT.

1 hour ago, Nigel Collins said:
About 12 months ago I fitted a Texecom Premier Elite wireless system. The system commissioned without any problems and walk test was fine. The system consists of 6 PIR's, 4 Dual and 2 Quads. Since then I have had 4 false alarms, all on the Quad PIR's . The first 2 (about 2 months apart was on the landing PIR, one at about 5 in morning and one mid afternoon. I could see no reason for the alarm. PIR facing a number of closed doors and no windows. In the end I changed this out for a Dual PIR. Last night I had the second false alarm in the dining room. Again a Quad PIR facing in from the window and towards the center of the room. I took it down and saw no obvious issues with it. As a temporary measure I have set this sensor to double knock (7 seconds). I have just ordered another Dual PIR but would be interested in any views as to why I am getting false alarms. (Wishing now I had cabled the PIR's instead....)

Thanks, Nigel

Read more: 

Swap the quads positions with the dt see if problems follow the quad , although as above need to see or have systems described more

Must be reason you opted for duals in other rooms, perhaps list rooms with sensors and why you chose what to go where 

Thanks for the feedback,  The dining room where the PIR was triggered is about 17' by 13' with high ceilings.  As you can just see by the photo, I placed it in the corner of the wall the window was on looking into the centre of the room.  The only reason I fitted 2 quads was that Texecom did a package that was considerably cheaper than buying individual components and came with 2 Quads and 2 Dual's.  I had to buy 2 extra PIR's and chose 2 more Dual's as price difference wasn't great.  I deliberately picked what I considered to be the 2 areas least likely to be triggered by 'hostile' conditions:  landing and dining room.  The other PIR's are in Kitchen, living room, hall and garage.

The alarm went off last night about 5:30 am, just as it started to get light.

IMG_1952[1].JPG

Personally - and especially when it's wireless (complete flexibility) AND with that rad underneath* I'd have brought it 12" lower than the ceiling - maximum heat at the top.

Well, I would have avoided the rad completely tbh but I appreciate that the rad was unlikely to have caused the FA on the most recent occasion though

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Hi - yes I also considered avoiding the radiator but the other corner would obscure part of room due to chimney breast.  I fitted all my sensors at ceiling height to make them more 'invisible' but I could lower as you suggest.  Both times this sensor has had a false alarm the radiator wasn't on.  It has been on plenty of times when system was armed but never triggered.  DT sensor ordered and will be fitted this week but its annoying not to understand what caused the false alarms.

Chimney breast no big deal , you don't have perimeter protection so intruder would access room either way and trigger it once in 

I would move it first personally

2 hours ago, Nigel Collins said:

Curtains were open

Yep, similar to my initial post

1 hour ago, norman said:

Anything reflective opposite the detector that could have caused issue?

The shiny polished table?

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

Last night at 2am I was wondering WFT an iwise went off 3 times in an empty stairwell,

z131 programmed off, rather than being here I should be there...

I don't really rate I-Wise, had weird environmental FA's with them, although many here don't agree.

Still your point is, sometimes your left with nothing to go on and have to replace anyway?

1 minute ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I don't really rate I-Wise, had weird environmental FA's with them, although many here don't agree.

Still your point is, sometimes your left with nothing to go on and have to replace anyway?

their very, very stable to the point you hope the intruder has an accomplice....

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

I would suggest with the dining room one if the activation was around sunrise that it's a good chance it'll have been a spider, as any time I've had activations around sun set - sun rise it's spider playtime

Trade Member