Security Installer Community

Why Wi-Fi and why Battery Bell/Sounder ????

skronk

Hi all,

Old school here !

New house purchased.

Now 64 years old.

Like a wee project. (Note the word WEE)

Pyronix kit 3 seems to be the man. But.......................

Why do the makers of many of these kits take great delight in making technology that can  tell you that your gaff is being screwed whilst you are on a ship in the middle of nowhere ??? Especially when no one in the street takes a blind bit of notice, nor do the police ! Nor would I after a few whiskies.

What is the sense in a battery bell/sounder you have to maintain every year or two ? Get it wired. You know it makes sense !

Are remote keypads wireless ?

I know someone smarter than me will give me the answer.....but for the love of me, I cannot think of one !

2 Pyronix illuminated boxes drilled through wall to 9v supply in to mains socket is a cheap alternative ?

A really serious question guys....before I decide on what to buy ?

Standing against wall awaiting firing squad !!!!:o

Thanks

Edited by skronk

42 minutes ago, skronk said:

Like a wee project. (Note the word WEE)

Maybe you mean WEEE?

Pyronix kit 3 seems to be the man.

How have you decided that?

Why do the makers of many of these kits take great delight in making technology that can tell you that your gaff is being screwed whilst you are on a ship in the middle of nowhere ???

That's apparently what consumers want.

43 minutes ago, skronk said:

Especially when no one in the street takes a blind bit of notice, nor do the police ! Nor would I after a few whiskies

If your alarm doesn't cry wolf and you have good neighbours, you would hope someone would pay attention to it.

What is the sense in a battery bell/sounder you have to maintain every year or two ? Get it wired. You know it makes sense !

The manufacturer and alarm companies make more money out of you, for the convenience of wireless.

Not to say that wired ones are completely maintenance free.

In that case why don't you fit a fully wired system, or get a company to do it?

Your going to have to replace the batteries in all the devices anyway.

44 minutes ago, skronk said:

Are remote keypads wireless ?

Depends on the system.

Enforcer, I believe you can have either but wireless is not a full keypad it's just for arming.

Maybe someone that fits them regular can confirm.

2 Pyronix illuminated boxes drilled through wall to 9v supply in to mains socket is a cheap alternative ?

Depends on your budget, obviously it's not an alarm therefore shouldn't be compared to one.

The boxes are 12V and also you have to be careful with planning permission for illuminated boxes.

Consider are you just attracting attention to your property with no dog to bark if anyone enters?

45 minutes ago, skronk said:

A really serious question guys....before I decide on what to buy ?

I am sure I have given you plenty more questions to ask. So ask away.

Have you considered having one fitted by a company or do you definitely what to take the risk on installing and setting something up yourself.

45 minutes ago, skronk said:

Standing against wall awaiting firing squad !!!!:o

I wouldn't stand there then if I was you.

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Maybe you mean WEEE?

No.....wee as in small !

How have you decided that?

No real reason 

That's apparently what consumers want.

Hmmmm.

If your alarm doesn't cry wolf and you have good neighbours, you would hope someone would pay attention to it.

They won't......

The manufacturer and alarm companies make more money out of you, for the convenience of wireless.

Not to say that wired ones are completely maintenance free.

In that case why don't you fit a fully wired system, or get a company to do it?

Your going to have to replace the batteries in all the devices anyway.

Just feel wired is better.......Age thing ??????????

Depends on the system.

Enforcer, I believe you can have either but wireless is not a full keypad it's just for arming.

Maybe someone that fits them regular can confirm.

Fine

Depends on your budget, obviously it's not an alarm therefore shouldn't be compared to one.

The boxes are 12V and also you have to be careful with planning permission for illuminated boxes.

Consider are you just attracting attention to your property with no dog to bark if anyone enters?

Don't care about budget. No prob planning. Just feel as good a deterrent as full system, though more than happy to fit, or have fitted, full system.

I am sure I have given you plenty more questions to ask. So ask away.

Have you considered having one fitted by a company or do you definitely what to take the risk on installing and setting something up yourself.

When you are retired ????? Something to do, and enjoyment.

I wouldn't stand there then if I was you.

To those who think I am mad. I can get the system I want for £99 more than the cost of parts if I have it fitted. The cash is neither here nor nor there. When you retire, things you hated in the past become very tolerable,......believe it or not, cutting the grass.

If we do nothing, we stagnate, hence the reason I would like to fit myself, though my knowledge of alarms stopped 35 years ago. Learning is good.

5 minutes ago, skronk said:

To those who think I am mad. I can get the system I want for £99 more than the cost of parts if I have it fitted.

Personally I'd have someone fit it, after the warranty up you can fiddle with to your hearts content

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

I did some night work in Ayr once.

It was pissing down and black as night even though it was 1pm.

When we got up, they were cleaning the other rooms.

One of the ladies doing the cleaning said 'Isn't it a lovely day!' to us.

'It looks bloody awful' I said

'It's lovely for here!' she said cheerily.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands