Security Installer Community

Why Wi-Fi and why Battery Bell/Sounder ????

skronk

10 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

1. Yes but the provider cant give you the code as it may be in multiple systems. Would you want a security system provider that didn't care about protecting their clients. They will have to attend and change it and this would be a chargable call.

2. If diy then then default codes will be supplied

Many thanks. 

26 minutes ago, skronk said:

1. Professional install. Can I get this mystical code once my 1 year warranty is up ?

2. Should this be DIY install, is this mystical code inside box, if not where is it ?

Obviously only masonic based people make these boxes as everythings a secret !!!!

I did answer those questions above.

Also this is security equipment, so posting information and manuals everywhere puts that information in the wrong hands.

I am sure you see why there is limited information about this sort of stuff. This can also cause issues if you come to DIY it with no codes or instructions.

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I did answer those questions above.

Also this is security equipment, so posting information and manuals everywhere puts that information in the wrong hands.

I am sure you see why there is limited information about this sort of stuff. This can also cause issues if you come to DIY it with no codes or instructions.

O.K.

I was not asking for codes "To be posted everywhere"

I texted sit agent earlier who says he will find out from alarm company for me......mind you he's not the most reliable !

Before you ask....only houses above 440k come with alarms. Not mine !

12 minutes ago, skronk said:

O.K.

I was not asking for codes "To be posted everywhere"

I texted sit agent earlier who says he will find out from alarm company for me......mind you he's not the most reliable !

Before you ask....only houses above 440k come with alarms. Not mine !

Yep was only clarifying why you can't find much information. No one was offering or suggesting anything.

Do you mean site agent? So from your last comment, I gather this is a new build or something then?

3 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

It's never too far on to have a wired system.

Good engineers should have the skill to install a wired system with minimal disruption.

New build all with spots loads of them plenty of cavities

Unless they opt for single light 

I agree an good engineer should be able to do wired, that said I've just done an 18th century farmhouse near us, that had a 1980s Modern Alarms installation updated in '97 by ADT, serviced until last year.

(1980s wireless PA, twin SABs, Redcare virtually added the day BT lanuched it, every door contacted - could not work out why but now think the occupants were RA targets due to their high position at government work).

Anyway, it's a wired installers dream - even the 3 changes of level you can actually fish cables between; even the head of the stairs, usually my least favourite bit, you can fish across the landing, without even drilling.

So how did the lads do it in the 80s? I removed 6 surface cables like train tracks going across the lobby above the picture rail alone. A bin bag was filled with the old cable, now all concealed :)

Yup, all surface and picture rail. They wouldn't even have had to remove much carpet to hide the cables either, and the boards have been up more times than the tarmac at Brands Hatch, so not really an excuse.

p.s LOL at comment from 2015 - 'Comms still not working. This time STU and main PCB changed. Still nothing. At end of job customer stated 'cancelled BT thing, is that the problem?'. Still getting line on butt phone, but now obvious redcare cancelled. Refer to sales for digi??. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!'. By then the occupants had long retired (the gov. dept they used to work for had long been 'centralised anyway, the regional offices closed) so makes sense!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

16 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

It's never too far on to have a wired system.

Good engineers should have the skill to install a wired system with minimal disruption.

No...I meant when I purchased the house it was 90% complete. Builder would not retro wire. All internal and external walls are filled with insulation. No empty cavities.