Security Installer Community

Hi

I installed this system at home around four years ago. It is based around a Scantronic 9651PD panel, has Honeywell PIRs and uses two Scantronic 9943 keypads (which use proximity fobs).

All has been well with this system (since my last post about it) but I had two unusual occurrences earlier this morning.

While at home with the system Unset,  I got a keypad tamper alarm. I cancelled this but, three minutes later, I got a second keypad tamper alarm (same keypad). I cancelled this and, since then, all has been well (for almost an hour, at the time of writing).

I have checked the keypad but can see nothing untoward that might have caused this, nor has there been anything going on near the keypad either.

The relevant part of the log reads as follows:

11.25.31 KO1 Tamper

11.25.34 Kpd KO1 Restr

11.28.07 KO1 Tamper

11.30.42 Kpd KO1 Restr

11.32.45 Reset

The only additional observations I would make here are that on both occasions, I cancelled the alarm within about 20 seconds but I note that the first tamper event seemed to restore within three seconds while the second tamper event took over two and a half minutes to restore.

As usual, any thoughts on what might have caused this and any remedial action that may be necessary would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Chris A
typo!

This does sound 'as given' (i.e keypad tamper); but certain early production (about 4 years ago...?) of the 9651PD had corruption issues which manifested itself in rather odd ways.

They were subject to a recall, but I now cannot find the tech bulletin at Eaton about it (although, tbh, it would now be too late anyway).

OP, have you fitted the keypads by fitting a 4th (or 3rd) screw to the wall in the recess behind the tamper spring? Hot weather is a classic for case tampers, usually bells but not only.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Hi Sixwheeledbeast & Datadiffusion

Many thanks for your responses.

23 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Tamper switch on keypad 1 not making correctly?

Has the system been serviced, control panel checks and battery replaced?

The tamper switch on Keypad 1 seems to be fine. When I took the front of the panel off to check, I had to move it out quite a bit before the switch "clicked". Whilst none of the connections were loose, I did take the opportunity to give all the screws a further tweak tighter.

As far as servicing is concerned, my knowledge of what to do is a bit limited - sadly Service Engineer's link to a "Guide to Self Servicing Your Home Alarm System" (in his First Points of Reference post) doesn't work - though maybe not surprising as it is 14 years old! It would be really great if it was updated, however. Consequently, my "servicing" is limited pretty much to doing a walk test from time to time, dusting off the sensors and spraying with Spiderex and trying to remember that batteries don't last forever. Only two of us live here so I know where all the wiring etc is located and there is no risk of anything being disturbed by workmen or the like without me knowing about it.

On the question of batteries, I guess that, at four years, the Panel backup battery is nearing the end of its life (typically 5 years?) but what is the expected life of the sounder battery? (BTW, power hadn't been interrupted during this recent event).

21 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

This does sound 'as given' (i.e keypad tamper); but certain early production (about 4 years ago...?) of the 9651PD had corruption issues which manifested itself in rather odd ways.

They were subject to a recall, but I now cannot find the tech bulletin at Eaton about it (although, tbh, it would now be too late anyway).

OP, have you fitted the keypads by fitting a 4th (or 3rd) screw to the wall in the recess behind the tamper spring? Hot weather is a classic for case tampers, usually bells but not only.

Yes, I have had "odd" behaviour from this panel in the past - you may remember the  "Panel on Go Slow" problem I raised last year. Your advice at that time was to ditch the Panel and replace with the 9651EN (or UK).  I did, in fact, buy one but before I got round to fitting it I discovered that re-doing the  Initial Start-up process and shorting the "Kick Start" pins together resolved the issue on the 9651PD. It has recurred once since then and on that occasion it started following a momentary power cut during a thunder storm. Performing the Initial Start-up resolved it again.

The keypad is fitted with three screws but all are in a straight line across the centre using the holes indicated in the in installation manual. There is nothing behind the tamper spring except the flat surface of the wall. As far as heat is concerned, I did wonder if that might be the cause but the Keypad is fitted in a (relatively) cool hallway and it wasn't even the hottest time of day.

It is now over 24 hours since the issue arose and, so far so good. It may be that this is just another manifestation of the odd behaviour this panel can display so I guess I can still swap to my spare Panel if it happens again.

Thanks to you both.

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

On the question of batteries, I guess that, at four years, the Panel backup battery is nearing the end of its life (typically 5 years?) but what is the expected life of the sounder battery? (BTW, power hadn't been interrupted during this recent event).

Yes, battery will be near end of life if not already.

EWD batteries last longer but would be tested for operation on a service by removing hold off.

Service would also include things like operational check of all devices, voltage and charging checks for power supplies, battery checks and replacements etc etc

Yes, I have had "odd" behaviour from this panel in the past - you may remember the  "Panel on Go Slow" problem I raised last year. Y

Right, forgot that. 'Go slow' is a definite sign, that was mentioned in the bulletin

I discovered that re-doing the  Initial Start-up process and shorting the "Kick Start" pins together resolved the issue on the 9651PD.

Yes, the issue is a memory IC AFAIK, so a default may buy you some time, possibly a fair amount of time i.e. 12 months+

However, when I tried this (before I was aware of the bulletin / before they admitted the issue) I was back within 3 months.

I guess the log will affect it so a 6 x daily used panel (large family who all use the alarm properly, for example) I guess it would appear sooner.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands