Security Installer Community

Hi to all....New here today

skronk

Hi everyone,

Joined after lurking for short while. Fitted alarms regularly until 30 years ago !!!!

TV Engineer to trade, but alarms were more lucrative !

Will post soon re info about Deltabell plus which I am fitting to new house.

cheers

I used to fix TV's and videos not as a trade as such, more as a hobby, I used to meet up with a couple of mates one who had a workshop with a scope and tone generator ect. No money in fixing them nowadays, you can buy one for what a couple of hours labour would cost.

Not heard that for years, I did TV and video servicing c&g (224?) used to work in a great old retro shop near Pontefract. I met the owners son @ college and have been best friends since. His grandad started the shop selling and repairing bikes then went on to recharging and selling batteries and progressed to a really busy indi TV, video and hi fi Shop. It's still there (2 shops)  but he stopped the electrical side 20 years or so ago. They now sell pet foods in one and gardening gear in the other.

Zzzzzz 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

I did electronic repairs as a YTS,

I used to like discharging CRT monitors & making a big f'ck off spark to the chasis

I used to love charging big caps up on rainy days then throwing them in puddles on the way home from college

14 hours ago, norman said:

It's still there (2 shops)  but he stopped the electrical side 20 years or so ago. They now sell pet foods in one and gardening gear in the other.

Maybe that's the way forward, offer to walk the dog and do the garden while on a resi service.

I've done lots of things whilst on a PPM, (fnar) from watering plants to checking oil levels and changing batteries in clocks.

In fact I'm calling in to see an ex customer, now friend of 25 years tomorrow because he can't work his Sat Nav in his new car.

Yes I've done computers, ordered an induction hob for a German couple I know who's English is poor, I also changed their fax machine language to German for them

Loads and loads the more I think

The gardening was an old dear who answered the door with her watering can in her hand with the greeting of "I'll get the kettle on, you water the plant pots."

I did cg 224 pt 1,2 and 3. Worked for the old ilea repairing stuff for schools. Learnt the importance of having sleeves live and neutral pins as a 1 penny piece fits perfectly in between all 3 plug pins ..

Meanwhile all the idiots fit plug 'blanks' because the fools think it makes the sockets safer. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Only last week in a cafe I saw where a 'safety device' had been snapped off, leaving the L+N pins permanently open due to the plastic peg stuck in E... Nice one.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

6 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Meanwhile all the idiots fit plug 'blanks' because the fools think it makes the sockets safer. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Only last week in a cafe I saw where a 'safety device' had been snapped off, leaving the L+N pins permanently open due to the plastic peg stuck in E... Nice one.

Electric shock never killed anyone I often had the back of the TV off when my parents were out 

Many thanks to all who have taken time to reply. Having moved home from Skye back to Glasgow suburbs....(don't ask...pressure from family) I now feel the need for alarm, but bearing in mind I have not installed for 30 years now, I wonder if it best be left to a professional, though I would like to do it as a wee project. Will ask on relevant forum.

Thanks for the welcome.