Security Installer Community

Hello

Jack b

I still look and have noticed lots of new ones round here a) illuminated gash and b) with too much information on them including phone numbers and websites etc. Yes, we know you're a security company, it's a fucking alarm box. 

There's a couple I genuinely can't read, the writing is so small. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, norman said:

I still look and have noticed lots of new ones round here a) illuminated gash and b) with too much information on them including phone numbers and websites etc. Yes, we know you're a security company, it's a fucking alarm box. 

Well there is at least one person looking at them that not in this industry then

1 hour ago, norman said:

There's a couple I genuinely can't read, the writing is so small. 

I was going to say its an age thing, but my eyes have improved as I got older, apparently this is not unusual. 

My eyes are OK but they haven't got better with age.

Don't you still look at letterboxes and think 'that looks a nice one' ? 

46 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

I was going to say its an age thing, but my eyes have improved as I got older, apparently this is not unusual. 

Neither is a likening for Tom Jones. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

2 minutes ago, norman said:

Don't you still look at letterboxes and think 'that looks a nice one' ? 

LOL No! Although I do wake up at 4am occasionally and think to myself this is the life, I have another couple of hours before I have to get up.

I guess customers can always ask for plain boxes if they hate the logo.

Well, as long as it's not Jeff, then they get punched in the face...

I also agree that the box has to have a professional logo & name (although I wonder if this is really true, has anyone asked what an intruder thinks)

Yes, they did exactly this. The BSIA did a survey amongst recently released house burglars and published the results approx. late 80s early 90s. You could buy the report from them, or at least

you could when I did around 2000 time. It wasn't cheap and you could choose the summary report or the full results including survey statistics etc... I paid for the cheap one and they either

accidentally or intentionally sent the full 100+ page report, in a lovely retro 1980s faux-tan leather, gold embossed BSIA A4 folder.

The basic upshot of the narrative part of the research was that burglars DID recognise many brands and had a good idea of when a alarm was DIY tat that was unlikely to work.

However, I would hapilly accept that the days of the 'professional' burglar with faculties intact have pretty much sailed and todays are likely to be opportunist, drug addled smackheads / spice enthusiasts

that wouldn't know an ADT from a Yale if it came round their house and lit up in neon.

Have just checked the website and there seems to be a 'scorched earth' policy of anything published before 2014 :(

https://www.bsia.co.uk/publications/publications-search-results.aspx?PID=1206&evl=0&CategoryID=51&CategoryName=BSIA-Publications

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

49 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Well, as long as it's not Jeff, then they get punched in the face...

You're lucky this is public and jeff cant read this as he will punch you in the face too