Security Installer Community

integrate door entry camera with dvr

After being told several times that I could do this, I have ordered a doorknox vdp102 and it's relay box from SystemQ to tie in with a megahero dvr from them I already installed.

It has video, audio and alarm signal out to the dvr so that you can see and hear the front door, and recieve a notification when the button is pressed.  The problem is that, despite the vdp having a speaker, you cannot talk back to it from the dvr.  Their tech told me that the single audio cable only works in half duplex from their monitors.  He wouldn't reveal a way to go around this, instead they want to push their voiceoff unit which would do the job, but is an ugly thing above a front door and a waste of money when the vdp has a built in speaker.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm assuming if I wire both dvr audio in and out with some diodes that the vdp will automatically switch to speaker mode when detecting an audio output.  This is starting to get beyond my expertise, but I already have the job booked in after their sales chaps misinformed me.

Alternatively, are there any other door entry cameras that can be wired up to a dvr this way?  All I can find now are the wifi units which have their own apps.  Aperta wifi looks good, but can you access the video stream over ip so that the dvr can record it? Any others that you can?

Many thanks

Edited by installer_dale

Why can't you just have another unit to talk back from near the DVR ? You want record the convo I assume aswell? Just split the mic 

I may be way off what I understood of your question tho.....

sorry I might not have made it very clear

doorcam has camera, mic and button going to dvr fine.  It also has a speaker but I need to find a way to use this as it only has a single audio cable from the unit which shares the mic with the speaker.  The dvr has an audio rca in and out, and an app which supports 2 way audio.

Next best solution would be a seperate speaker installed at the door, anyone know of any miniature 12v active external speakers?

Other solution would be a 3rd party door cam with it's own app that I could tap into the video feed from to record it onto the dvr.

Don't need to record audio, although it would be a bonus.

Edited by installer_dale

Hi Dale.

I’m not sure if there is way that you can do this just with the outside door camera unit and DVR as I’m not sure if the outside unit contains the correct amplifier as the DVR itself doesn't have one. The VoiceOff unit does indeed have an Amp so the support team would suggest this.

I’m not in the office today but will be late on Monday or Tuesday so I will check with the tech team what data we do have on it if you wish to create your own solution without the VoiceOff.

Paul.

System Q Ltd.