Security Installer Community

False alarm

I have has a wireless alarm system installed by myself, ebay, all door contacts and pirs work fine in the house. However in my garden i have a building which i keep parrots in with dimensions as follows.

The whole building is made of metal box profile roofing sheets 35ft x 20ft.  Its height is 6ft at the front and rises to 8ft at the back, the whole roof area is also made out of metal box profile roofing sheets except for two areas. From front to back of the roof to the left side of the building  I have a one metre section of plastic profile sheeting (3ft x 20ft) to let the light in, at the right hand side of the building I have a similar strip but with wire mesh to let air/rain in etc.

Inside I have cages which are 6ft high, these touch the roof on the inside at the front but I have more and more space above the cages as you move towards the back of the building where the height is 8ft. Each cage is 3ft off the ground suspended so my parrots are 3-6ft off the ground.

Obviously in summer the metal roof got heated up and it was extremely hot so i now have a shade cloth covering the whole roof which has brought the temperature down considerably.

I placed some pet immune detectors in my building but i keep getting false alarms, false alarms start around 6am and continue through the day, i have no false alarms during the night. All the detectors are within one foot of the roof, around 7ft high and cover the roof area above the cages but below the roof.

The obvious triggers could be heat changes. the birds. light coming through the perspex roofing. Although heat and light are absent during the night, the birds are still there but usually do not move about etc. 

I have read that pet immune detectors exclude pets from ground level and so if this is the case my birds are 3-6ft off the ground and therefore these could be triggering the pirs. I get false alarms even on cloudy days so I am questioning the pet immune side of things

Can anyone shed any light to my issue and would dual tech pirs be a better option. Obviously the room is exposed to the elements where i have used wire mesh in the roof and wind etc comes through.  My alarm panel does have wired options, i have attached a drawing of the shed from above. 

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Roof.jpg

It sounds like the detection and design is not suitable for your application.

Pet detection can be hit and miss with domesticated pets, the quality of the detector is also important here.

Even DT's are likely to false alarm in that kind of environment that you describe.

When I have done work in aviaries similar I have generally used a combination of active IR beams and contacts.

You need different type of detection , shocks maybe an option , but could give fa aswell if the tin vibrates , any traffic passing nearby ? 

Perhaps others here can give you other methods , wire?electric fence ?

I would also get a temperature alarm , doesn't it get to hot in there for the birds?

No traffic nearby, the whole building vibrates on windy days, its quite cool now with a shade spanning the entire roof, i have looked at beams but coverage is not going to be as good, what about curtain type pirs or would any heat from the roof set these off too?

thanks for your responses

Your looking for a solution not one or two sensors to cover the whole room. These kind of jobs normally need tacticity positioned commercial type gear to be right and cause no trouble.

It maybe possible to cover the room with one 35ft/90deg sensor but it's not going to know the difference between a burglar and a parrot.

Also the issue of the open section rules out most passives IMO. Maybe curtain redwalls or the like, kit that's suitable for external detection.

As MrH, what kit you have or maybe some pictures would also help us to advise better.

7 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

It maybe possible to cover the room with one 35ft/90deg sensor but it's not going to know the difference between a burglar and a parrot.

Or worse still... 

f2fdd2eaa4886e43983690671b0d247b6c333445.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Your looking for a solution not one or two sensors to cover the whole room. These kind of jobs normally need tacticity positioned commercial type gear to be right and cause no trouble.

Also the issue of the open section rules out most passives IMO. Maybe curtain redwalls or the like, kit that's suitable for external detection.

As MrH, what kit you have or maybe some pictures would also help us to advise better.

Smart detectors for smart parrots?

3 hours ago, Search1231 said:

No traffic nearby, the whole building vibrates on windy days, its quite cool now with a shade spanning the entire roof, i have looked at beams but coverage is not going to be as good, what about curtain type pirs or would any heat from the roof set these off too?

thanks for your responses

Basically forget pirs

Beams would do it if you spend enough on the system , but if you looking to spend a nifty to get it all sorted then , better sleep with Parrott's 

As Yeti says forget PIR's and if the building vibrates on windy days then Vibration sensors will false alarm.

Contacts on the entry/Exit and good quality beams round the building would be my advice.

What panel are you using?

Edited by Hillbilly

7 minutes ago, Search1231 said:

thanks for your responses, what beams would you reccomend

if the building is open to the elements, wired external beams,

which probably means your ebay stuff needs relocating to a skip

you also should be looking to contact all the doors

any wiring needs to be protected for the birds

Mr? Veritas God

pic of the alarm panel, it has 8 wired zones, 

just a question about beams, i have around a 1-2ft section of void across majority of the roof, the cages are below, the metal roof is above, if i am using beams which are say 20cm high, am i right in thinking the beams will travel  within that 20cm height, if the beams had say a 50cm height, then the beam would travel through a cage and will get triggered, i could do with some clarity on this please. 

alarm panel.jpg

5 hours ago, Search1231 said:

pic of the alarm panel, it has 8 wired zones, 

just a question about beams, i have around a 1-2ft section of void across majority of the roof, the cages are below, the metal roof is above, if i am using beams which are say 20cm high, am i right in thinking the beams will travel  within that 20cm height, if the beams had say a 50cm height, then the beam would travel through a cage and will get triggered, i could do with some clarity on this please. 

alarm panel.jpg

All about budget now, I am sure everyone appreciates you may not be able to get something good installed , but you will go in circles

I am sure the birds cost a bit and better you save up , do it once so you don't have to mess around

Have you got a budget ? £1200?

Can the pet get within six foot of the detector, I guess so its a bird.

6 hours ago, norman said:

This looks like the stuff Peter James imports/supports, he'll be along shortly...

Your not funny, I am selective with my imports, I dont import anything thats likely to spontaneously com-bust.