Security Installer Community

Optima xm panel problem

Hi, i recently bought my house which had an optima xm panel. Annoyingly it will randomly go off for no obvious reason. The panel alarm sounds and the external light on the alarm box flashes but there is no external noise. I thought it was power surges causing it initially as occured when high draw appliances kicked in but seems not to be the case. It just randomly goes off. It wont do it for ages then it will do it all night. Please can someone advise what this might be and how i can fix it before i take a sledgehammer to it??? It shows a tamper fault on the box when it goes off and resets ok. Its wired in through the lighting circuit.

Many thanks.

Ewan

You have an intermittent tamper fault, this could be occurring for a number of reasons.

The way the system is responding would be normal for a tamper fault, this is indicating that the system believes it is being tampered with and will alarm internally while unset.

Do you know if the system has been serviced recently or has a maintenance agreement?

If you are not sure why you have a fault you will need a competent engineer to diagnose the fault, or decommission the system if you no longer wish to use it.

I would suggest that:- removing mains, hitting with sledgehammer or taking it apart and pulling wires out; are some of the worst things you can do, as it is likely to trigger the external sounders and upset the neighbours.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. There's no service contract on it and it hasn't been serviced for probably 10 years according to the previous owner. I will find an engineer then and get them out.

Thanks again,

Ewan

Ps, i wasn't actually going to take a sledgehammer to it, tempting is it is! Ha ha

:)

Alarm systems need to be serviced regularly or you will have issues like this.

Also you may find while could be a simple fault, the system is fairly old so you maybe recommended an upgrade.

You would be surprised how many call outs I have done, where a customer has done some of the above trying to resolve the issue themselves.