Security Installer Community

Texecom Premier Elite 48 & Comwifi

I'm just in the process of purchasing the above combination and my question is whether I need to invest in a panel or not?

I'm wondering if the comwifi can be installed without a panel, so that I can then use the iPhone app as my panel once installed and therefore not have to fork out for a panel at all...

So the keypad app doesn't provide any additional functionality?

Reading the information from the brochure highlighted below, I thought I may be able to save the investment in a physical keypad if I could set up comwifi without one and then use the app...

Keypad App

The Keypad App emulates a Premier Elite keypad interface. This allows end-users, master users and engineers the ability to remotely control the alarm system, as if physically standing in front of an actual keypad connected to the system. In addition, the Keypad App includes Texecom’s SmartKey interface, providing an intuitive and simple method of arming, part arming and disarming the system. Up to 3 programmable outputs can be triggered from the SmartKey interface. 

Yes, you need a keypad...

However... unless you need all 48 zones, you might be better off with a http://www.texe.com/uk/uploads/PremierElite12-W_LIVE_web_6.pdf

If you only use the keypad in an 'emergency' it can be hidden away just as you would with the 48 CCU.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Are you installing the kit yourself?

This type of kit is designed to be installed by experienced engineers. If your not sure what you are buying, are you sure your competent to fit it?

Just a word of caution, many a DIYer has come here and wasted months of time trying to install there system only to fail, get frustrated or end with a part working system.

Minimum kit you will need is the Panel, Keypad and Comms Interface that is assuming you are reconnecting detection devices.

• 1 month later...

Technically you won't need a keypad but it's strongly recommended.  And you'll need a usbcom to configure the panel to use the comwifi in the first place.

But if you don't know that, I wouldn't recommend trying to setup a comwifi unit in the first place! They are a waste of space until (hopefully) new the ones come out

14 hours ago, installer_dale said:

Technically you won't need a keypad but it's strongly recommended.  And you'll need a usbcom to configure the panel to use the comwifi in the first place.

But if you don't know that, I wouldn't recommend trying to setup a comwifi unit in the first place! They are a waste of space until (hopefully) new the ones come out

I certainly wouldn't be installing a panel without a keypad. If your router or inet is down how do you switch it off/on.

Yes it's theoretically possible I suppose, but certainly not worth considering.

I am sure you will find that Texecom wouldn't recommend that either, considering they recommend you use the keypad to setup the COMWifi in the first place.

COMWifi units do what they say on the box, there not perfect but I prefer the COM-IP if I had to.

Yes I know its very daft, I did say strongly recommended.  As a diyer the cost to buy a usb cable is half way there to a keypad.  I often use engineers keypad or wintex to configure until I get round to connecting keypads, especially if a live panel.  But op asked and I needed a 5th post to apply for trade lol

I'm sure some unique installations somewhere won't have one and might use keyswitches or whatever.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:57 PM, datadiffusion said:

This is an old post and AFAIK the original poster has never been back.

But surely any Texe panel needs at least one keypad, doesn't it?

Yes

On 6/1/2017 at 7:27 PM, installer_dale said:

Technically you dont need a monitor with a CCTV system if you are going to view it remotely using client software, but how are you going to program the remote client settings in the first place? The OP is asking if he has to buy one or not, of course he does he cant program in his ip setting or put it into engineers mode even without one!

Mind you if he is asking the most basic question as does he need a RKP or not, I think my question would be does he need to start somewhere a little more basic, before he starts throwing piles of cash at it.

• Upvote 1

I've installed quite a few domestic cctv systems with no monitor where dvr is in the loft or cupboard and customer won't fork out for one as they're using apps.  Admittedly I used my test monitor to program it which made the menu super tiny!

I gave a tongue in cheek answer no if you really want you can get by without a keypad but as a minimum you need wintex to program it so need to buy a com lead, ironically annoying as the comwifi is a com device!!!

I agree though asking that sort of question makes me think OP should be reevaluating what he's doing.  I'd be more impressed getting the comwifi to integrate with the detectors without using a panel as per original post!!

8 hours ago, MrHappy said:

IIRC it where a long ago time in TSI history... must be  cira MMXIV & the poster Fattus Mattus made these claims ?

I think it might actually have been *me* asking about it, at the time (10yrs + ago) I was considering Guardall (laughs...)

They used to have a 'mini keypad' that only had 4 keys, a prox, and an LCD, I imagine you could enter a code 'car radio style' (up, down, enter) in an emergency but not do any progging without UDL.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands