Security Installer Community

Home alarm problems and advice?

Am89

I'll start from the begining. Moved into my flat around 1.5 years ago and as a gift my aunty had a home alarm installed with monitoring from a local company here in Edinburgh. 

For the first few months the monitoring company weren't calling any key holders when the home alarm was activated and to make things worse I was being charged regularly on my phone bill for calls to an 0844 number.. 

I was refunded the money and the panel was reset to fix the calling out to 0844 numbers and to make sure the monitoring company call me if the alarm is set off...

Fast forward later on in the year I'm still being charged for 0844 numbers. Company claims it's a faulty panel and replace it for me and refund the charges I've received. 

Fast forward again and now the speaker in the panel blows so needs to be replaced with a new panel. New panel fitted and I test it out to make sure monitoring is working. Surprise it isn't. Call the company up to say I'm cancelling monitoring  to be told this.. I'm tied into a 2 year contract and if I do cancel I'll need to pay the remaining months left. Add to that my panel will need to be changed over to another non monitoring panel and there will be a £150 charge! 

Company have offered to upgrade my alarm monitoring to a wireless system taking it away from the phoneline so eliminating 0844 calls and making sure any key holders are contacted if alarm is triggered... feeling pretty fed up by this point and would ideally like to get away from this alarm company. Any suggestions on what I should do? 

Their website says SSAIB recognised company.  Most of the convos I had were on the phone but I do have some text messages from the boss confirming I've had various problems but they don't go into specifics. 

I think the alarm has been fitted around 2 years come this October..

Ok will do.. 

if I allow the company to upgrade the monitoring to a wireless type but I don't sign anything could this tie me into another contract? Is there a notice u need to give before u cancel a monitoring DD? 

Cancelling DD - Suddenly not paying could be playing into their hands IF there is a contract in place (conversely keep on paying and you might be able to get a full refund if, as it seems, it has never worked, and you've kept telling them).

Upgrading - I highly suspect it's a tactic to tie you into an even longer contract

As for having to replace the panel to make it 'non communicating', this sounds like an utter lie, I can think of no such panel.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

its probably an upgrade to gsm signalling. But there are other options to stop the 0844 number being used. but if there are 0844 numbers on your bill originating from the alarm then it appears it os working. It's not a sky telephone line is it?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

16 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

its probably an upgrade to gsm signalling. But there are other options to stop the 0844 number being used. but if there are 0844 numbers on your bill originating from the alarm then it appears it os working. It's not a sky telephone line is it?

I suspect the alarm is dialling out just fine, but that the keyholder details are wrong. This could, of course, be either parties fault...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

23 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Cancelling DD - Suddenly not paying could be playing into their hands IF there is a contract in place (conversely keep on paying and you might be able to get a full refund if, as it seems, it has never worked, and you've kept telling them).

Upgrading - I highly suspect it's a tactic to tie you into an even longer contract

As for having to replace the panel to make it 'non communicating', this sounds like an utter lie, I can think of no such panel.

I've asked my auntie to have a look for the contract Already but she can't seem to find one and has asked the company to send her a copy of the one she signed.. 

in regards to the upgrade. He says it generally costs more per month compared to being hard wired into the phoneline but will do it for the same price we pay now, £15.99 per month. Not sure if this is true or not? I've reluctant, as u say could be a tactic to tie me into a longer contract.. but if I don't sing anything is this possible? 

I agree regarding the panel. Called a few other alarm companies and they just laughed it off and said same as yourself.. this makes me want to get away from this company even more.. 

should i hold off them fitting the wireless connection till I get hold of a contract? 

22 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

The alarm company does call the keyholder sometimes but since the last panel change they haven't been calling and initially when i got the alarm fitted they weren't calling out...

The first thing to do is to ask, without giving anything away, what details they have for you regards keyholding, i.e. who, when and how they will call someone if the alarm goes off.

Names, numbers, any restrictions on times when calling etc...

7 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

I suspect the alarm is dialling out just fine, but that the keyholder details are wrong. This could, of course, be either parties fault...

Key holders details are correct but they only call out sometimes and since the last panel change haven't called out just like when I first got the alarm installed 

I am thinking Honeywell with pstn fitted to existing wiring has other faults swapping to wireless because sub doesn't want to pay and company wants to keep monthly contract

Pictures dude pictures

The co seems to be doing things by the book tbf there replaced the panel etc they have offered maybe gsm or red sec on radio for no extra not sure why the phone bills would be excessive as there's no need for op/cl etc and if keyholder only no need for 24hr test maybe the signals are being aborted via the arc

11 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Lol we all wrong

So they want you to replace a wireless panel with another wireless panel 

They want to change the hardwired monitoring over to a wireless monitoring..

and if i cancel the monitoring they want to charge me £150 to change it over to another wall panel... 

I think they mean sticking in a digiair on dial capture or similar to get round their arcs 0844 number, either that or some numbnuts activated start chc sms uptate and doesn't know how to turn it off. 

Op are you maybe resetting the alarm with the code or fob before the arc call you? If you reset it they will see you have reset it and treat it as an abort, a false alarm basically. If you have had a high number of false alarms due to user error the arc may increase the amount of time they wait before calling keyholders, called the filtering time, to wait and see if they receive an abort signal telling them it was just another false alarm. If the alarm goes off frequently either you have faulty equipment, incorrect installation or often user error. Whatever the cause you need to get it sorted as regular false alarms reduce the effectiveness of everyones alarms and causes annoyance.

Make all your correspondance with your company in writing or if its verbal follow it up with an email confirming what was discussed, and build a proper picture of what is going on, if it's systems failure you should be able to get a refund if it's operator error prepare to be hit with a bill.

oops gaz covered a lot of what i said while i had that half typed.

Edited by petrolhead