Security Installer Community

Home alarm problems and advice?

Am89

So a bit of an update,

after some research we found out my aunty didn't sign any contract let alone a 2 year one and this was totally made up by the company owner to keep us tied in.. agreed to stay within a 3 month cancellation period to keep things civil in case of any alarm issues in future. Agreed with the boss to have one of his engineers come out last Monday 3rd April to make sure monitoring was fixed etc..

On Monday morning i message the boss just to confirm engineer will defo be coming around 4-5pm and to be told yes.. as the boss has a tendency to lie I msg the engineer who is attending as I have his number and he agrees to come out at 12 pm. He arrives and calls montoring st to make sure we are still monitored etc, to be told the monitoring for my home is no longer active. My auntie did cancel the DD a few days earlier due to all the issues we had and because we had been offered 2 months free monitoring.. so either it was not being monitored down to this or for some other reason.. 

The engineer then tells me his boss is lying to me and there is NO 3 month cancellation period and I'm entitied to cancel whenever I want. He said Rather than my panel being connected to the 0844 number he can programme it so if alarm is set off it will send me a text msg to my mobile telling me where and when it's went off.. seemed like a good Idea so went ahead and done this. He set alarm off and panel sent me text msg. All good..

in the end an overall good result but to make matters worse the engineer told me his boss didn't even have me booked in for Monday and he only came cos I contacted him... joke to say the least!! 

Edited by Am89

9 hours ago, Am89 said:

On Monday morning i message the boss just to confirm engineer will defo be coming around 4-5pm and to be told yes.. as the boss has a tendency to lie I msg the engineer who is attending as I have his number and he agrees to come out at 12 pm. He arrives and calls montoring st to make sure we are still monitored etc, to be told the monitoring for my home is no longer active. My auntie did cancel the DD a few days earlier due to all the issues we had and because we had been offered 2 months free monitoring.. so either it was not being monitored down to this or for some other reason.. 

The engineer then tells me his boss is lying to me and there is NO 3 month cancellation period and I'm entitied to cancel whenever I want. He said Rather than my panel being connected to the 0844 number he can programme it so if alarm is set off it will send me a text msg to my mobile telling me where and when it's went off.. seemed like a good Idea so went ahead and done this. He set alarm off and panel sent me text msg. All good..

in the end an overall good result but to make matters worse the engineer told me his boss didn't even have me booked in for Monday and he only came cos I contacted him... joke to say the least!! 

Does this chap turn up for free ?

Mr? Veritas God

8 hours ago, norman said:

Whilst the company is bang out of order the engineers loyalties are misplaced imo.

Sadly I would have to agree, quite often engineers are unaware of the details of the contracts and make their own assumptions.

You could say that the engineers boss should make sure that he is familiar with all the contracts out there. But I would argue it his his job is to engineer and not terms and conditions, IMO he is trying and make himself look good in front of a customer, its true that the customer is the ultimate bill payer but £30pm wont pay his wages alone. Very few of my engineers are familiar with the terms of customers contracts mainly because we have several types of contract and it would be difficult retain all the ins and outs of every contract out there .  We also have the one off deal where the installation is cheaper but the customer pays more per month, and one off deals where customer pays more up front but everything is covered.

If the engineer is unsure of the terms he should say nothing, but presenting a completely opposite opinion to his boss is just putting his own job in jeopardy for sure.

• Upvote 1

If I'm honest I think the engineer knows his boss is full of lies and is doing the right thing. It's his job to take care of engineering side of things but on the other hand if no contract has been signed and his boss is making things up on the spot to make an extra bit of ££ then it's morally corect to do what he did.. 

appreciate all the help, Thanks again.. 

6 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Does this chap turn up for free ?

Yes he does but to be fair none of the problems have been caused by me..

10 minutes ago, Am89 said:

If I'm honest I think the engineer knows his boss is full of lies and is doing the right thing. It's his job to take care of engineering side of things but on the other hand if no contract has been signed and his boss is making things up on the spot to make an extra bit of ££ then it's morally corect to do what he did.. 

Difficult to say either way, if you are right then the engineer should be looking for another job, working for somone he feels he can work for morally.

14 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

But its your alarm system 

Not sure how this makes a difference? My system supplied and fitted by the company.. any issues have been hardware or monitoring issues which are down to the company to rectify imo

14 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

You got a singed jobsheet for his visit ?

No, don't think I do.. wasn't given anything and didn't sign anything myself!

22 minutes ago, Am89 said:

Not sure how this makes a difference? My system supplied and fitted by the company.. any issues have been hardware or monitoring issues which are down to the company to rectify imo

Is this guy's IP same as other post ?

4 minutes ago, Am89 said:

oh dear, we assume the engineer was on your site without the knowledge or consent of his employer,

If he's ringing up the ARC & checking up on your signalling account, there'll be a log on the activity reports,

Should the company find out he's probably going get finished, 

Mr? Veritas God

3 hours ago, Am89 said:

I havent read the full thread so I may have missed something here, but If the kit is faulty and not in warranty, it makes a difference, you own it not the installer so if it goes wrong its down to you to pay for it to be put right. If you purchase anything else and it was out of warranty you would pay for it to be repaired. Just because the co installed it and services does not mean that they should be looking after it free of charge forever. The same as you could drive out of your garage after having your car serviced and get a puncture, its not the garages fault.

But the problem is the digi is dialling a premium rate number when the customer has been told it shouldn't be. Who's fault is that if not the company who installed and was up until now charging maintenance and monitoring?

am89 you will probably still see premium rate numbers on your bill, the texts are about 50p each and the panel dials pyronix at regular intervals on a premium rate number to check it has the latest sms server number. You will also find that sms over pstn is unreliable at best. I would go with decen signalling if the alarm is protecting anything important to you.

Edited by petrolhead

3 hours ago, PeterJames said:

I havent read the full thread so I may have missed something here, but If the kit is faulty and not in warranty, it makes a difference, you own it not the installer so if it goes wrong its down to you to pay for it to be put right. If you purchase anything else and it was out of warranty you would pay for it to be repaired. Just because the co installed it and services does not mean that they should be looking after it free of charge forever. The same as you could drive out of your garage after having your car serviced and get a puncture, its not the garages fault.

As petrolhead has said the issue was alarm dialling out to 0844 number costing me ££. This isn't my fault and installer should rectify this. 

Petrolhead, appreciate the info and I'll call my phone supplier on Monday and check if I've been charged to any premium rate numbers, do they usually begin with 0844? 

When u say go with decent signalling, u mean with a decent monitoring company?

When I spoke to engineer he said if I'd like to have the panel reset so it doesn't call or msg out to anyone when alarm is triggered he can run me through it over the phone.. is it very likely I'll still be getting charged for a premium rate number since switching to SMS alert?

Edited by Am89

It's likely, as default on the enforcer panels if you enable sms it calls the castle host computer every i think fortnight or so on an 0844 number to download the sms message centre. Sms over pstn is getting quite unreliable these days anyway. By decent signalling i mean a dualcom or webway or similar product, something with a regularly polled monitored signal path.