Security Installer Community

Home alarm problems and advice?

Am89

3 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Lol we all wrong

So they want you to replace a wireless panel with another wireless panel 

They want to change the hardwired monitoring over to a wireless monitoring..

and if i cancel the monitoring they want to charge me £150 to change it over to another wall panel... 

Edited by Am89

But why change panel it can be done with what you have , or the coms won't fit inside it 

I assume you own the existing stuff, so could sell it or they planning to take that to lol

The main thing I'd really like to know is, if I allow the company to change the monitoring from phoneline hard wired to wireless and i don't sign any contract can they tie me into another 2 year contract? 

if I cancel monitoring, from what I've read and been told the panel remains and doesn't need changed.. so I can flat out refuse to pay the £150 They went to change panel? 

Thanks again for the replies. Much appreciated 

As far as I know I own the existing stuff. The lies I've been told are more frustrating that anything else and makes me feel sour towards the company ethics.. 

If my auntie ever finds the original contract I'll know more. She's also requested a duplicate copy. I'm questioning whether she even signed a 2 year contract 

I have rough dates of what and when issues happened but rather than escalate I think I'll let them sort monitoring out via wireless, finish up the 2 year contract then cancel and move on to another company.. if any more issues arrise such as them trying to charge me unfairly I'll look into a formal complaint as u have mentioned.. does that sound fair??

Personally I want them gone now but till I find a contract I don't want to cancel anything incase they start chasing me for money.

I'm even thinking about leaving wireless monitoring now unless I can get in writing off the company I won't be tied into another 2 year contract.

Thanks again for the info..

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Your unlikely to incur £150 of 0844 calls, unless it's sending test calls daily.

That's my bet. No ancient Sky boxes to dial out as OP is on Virgin.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I've Cancelled the monitoring with the company and decided to go unmonitored till I find another company who come well recommended to avoid any further issues. 

In the meantime how can I clear my keypad of the previous companies info and any monitoring station phone number to make sure my alarm doesn't call out to 0844 number costing me money? 

It would be an easy matter to get virtually ANY other company in and 'crash' the system to remove the communications element.

They will need to reprogram it from scratch, so if they quote 2 hours, that's not unreasonable. It would be a one-time charge (although

we here at TSI would still recommend regular servicing. Well, we recommend monitoring too, but not from idiots!).

It should be a labour only charge, they should not need to quote for any parts etc... if the system is only 18 months old.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

So in short I need to get a new company out to remove all the old data and replace with their own data.. even if I stay unmonitored? Any ideas how much this could cost?

what if I cut the wire going from the alarm panel to the phoneline? Would alarm still active if an intruder entered the house? 

Previously I was paying £16 per month, is that the going rate? 

Thanks again 

18 minutes ago, Am89 said:

So in short I need to get a new company out to remove all the old data and replace with their own data.. even if I stay unmonitored? Any ideas how much this could cost?

Yes, but it should take no more than 1-2 hours, and require no parts. It's obviously a one-time charge.

I don't really know your panel that well - it's possible they won't have to reprogram at all, and can just reset the engineer codes to gain access to the menus and turn off the communicator.

But to be fair you are still looking at a minimum charge, so won't make much difference to the cost. It's not 'their' data they will be putting in, just setting up the system, again as if it were only just taken out the box.

what if I cut the wire going from the alarm panel to the phoneline? Would alarm still active if an intruder entered the house? 

The alarm will either refuse to set and/or make a tone / chirp / chime every now and then to alert you to a cut phone line. I wouldn't do it, if you can get someone in within the week then I would just live with an extra week or two's phone bill.

Previously I was paying £16 per month, is that the going rate? 

I don't do 'digi' (telephone line) monitoring, but would suggest quite cheap though depends on what other 'services' you do or don't get for that fee.

Edited by datadiffusion

3 hours ago, Am89 said:

Ok fair enough. I'll phone around tomorrow. For £16 per month maintenance was included. It's unfortunate I had so many issues with the previous company but it's minor, these things happen

I think 16 quid is fair for monitoring and maintenance. But I feel you have an issue and that should be resolved on their part not urs.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

We are a long way from Scotland but our charge for standard contract (That means parts and  callouts are charged extra) and monitoring digi would be around £30 more per annum or £18.00 per month in other words plus VAT