Security Installer Community

Rental property monitoring

Hi all,

I was asked whether I could monitor a rental property for water leaks. 

Ive come up with the idea of a G2-12 panel in the loft with honeywells water sensors under the sink. Linked through the panel to a relay to turn off the 240vac to a power solenoid on the stop ****. It's 240vac as I didn't want to fit a power supply under the sink although they work from 5vdc to 240vac!

what does everyone think???

I have 4 rf water sensors dotted around the house, mainly for when we are out but one is in the shower pump sump and another in the cloakroom where we had a leak previously from upstairs but it was unnoticed due to the route it ran. 

My shower pumps are all on octal relays programmed to the set o/p so they dont run away when we are out too.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, norman said:

pumps are all on octal relays programmed to the set o/p so they dont run away when we are out too.

I always thought that water meters or mains supply to the property should have a solenoid device that stops the water after a continuous bath full.

Maybe a manual one hour override if your using a hose or what have you.

It's less common for a tank in the loft to leak while away or un-tenanted as rental properties should be switching to condensing boilers now.

2 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Its possible, we have a sites with water sensors, that signal to the monitoring centre. But surely the tenants would spot a water leak and do something about it?

If your out? Sleeping? 

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I always thought that water meters or mains supply to the property should have a solenoid device that stops the water after a continuous bath full.

Maybe a manual one hour override if your using a hose or what have you.

It's less common for a tank in the loft to leak while away or un-tenanted as rental properties should be switching to condensing boilers now.

Just need to be thoughtful of washing machines and dishwashers left on, ours are both switched on whilst the house is empty. 

Told you about our Gardtec replacement job before I'm sure.

It was an alarm customer of the firm I used to work for, having some renovation works.

Decorator loosened off the cistern in the downstairs WC, pretty much the last days work after many weeks and thousands of pounds worth.

He tightens it back up again, and the couple go on a well deserved holiday.

When they get back, they can literally see water through the bottom glass of the door (so they told us). The basement is literally now a water tank.

The guy had tightened up the cistern too much, so at some point it cracked, allowing all the water to flow out the back, and meaning the overflow

was useless yet the cistern valve would never shut off. We never did find out how much he got done for!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 hour ago, norman said:

Just need to be thoughtful of washing machines and dishwashers left on, ours are both switched on whilst the house is empty. 

I'm not one for leaving white goods on unoccupied but fair point, I wouldn't think they use more than the "bath full" I mentioned tho.

I am also imagining it would be "detecting" a set amount of continuous flow BTW.

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

When they get back, they can literally see water through the bottom glass of the door (so they told us). The basement is literally now a water tank.

Been to a good handful of them before.

I had never seen anything like it, damage wise. I really think it was the undoing of them too, within about 6 months they were gone, shame as they

were very nice people and the replacements kept us on the alarm but were not as nice. I mean OK but the last lot would always give you a pot of tea

on arrival, ten tonnes of biscuits and a bottle of wine on exit!

Still, at least they upgraded to an 816 ;)

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Three years ago the Father in law was part way through decorating the master bedroom, he's a stickler for detail (and an excellent decorator) so the rad was off as per. There was a slight delay with the new robes being fitted so they broke off to go on their pre booked jolly to Dubai. 

The day before they were due back the Mrs goes around to put some shopping in for them and put the heating on etc. 

She arrived to find the ceiling on the floor and absolute carnage, he'd isolated the rad at the trv and the temp had dropped in turn opening back the trv to frost.  Open heating system so it just ran for what we think was around 8-10 days. 

15 minutes ago, norman said:

She arrived to find the ceiling on the floor and absolute carnage, he'd isolated the rad at the trv and the temp had dropped in turn opening back the trv to frost.  Open heating system so it just ran for what we think was around 8-10 days. 

I can think of two notable jobs like this, both related to a fault on the tank in the loft.

One leaked into the master bedroom onto the bed, the bed got so heavy it ended up in the front room.

The other less damage but a good foot of water in the hall, neighbours spotted it leaking out the front door.

Both where away on holiday water had been running for days.

Also seen where a rat had chewed through a blue plastic main in the cavity where it entered the property, that made a mess.

I always turn the water off when we're away for anything more than a night or two. I've always been anal about it. 

We live in a cul de sac and in the cold winter in 2011 (iirc) a neighbour asked me to help her, she was checking on another who spends months away had opened the door and found a burst in the loft caused damage to the room below and all the flooring on the ground floor (concrete floors meant it spread) 

I went into my lift and the tank had some ice floating in the heating expansion tank. To this day they still have a duvet as secondary insulation. 

*loft

Just read the title relates to rentals, I have some rentals and personally I'm not too bothered about automatic notification with those. Tenants are quick to let me know about other bits, I'm sure I'd hear in good time. If they are damaged then that's an insurance issue imo. 

Edited by norman
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, norman said:

a neighbour asked me to help her, she was checking on another who spends months away had opened the door and found a burst in the loft caused damage to the room below and all the flooring on the ground floor (concrete floors meant it spread)  

Some hero's don't wear cape's

p02ccdjw.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

At home I installed a inline Sure stop solenoid just after the incoming stop tap, has a meter of "Flex" that allows you to mount the isolation switch in a convenient / accessible location. Nice & easy to install.

Always ensure the water to the house gets switched off if away for a few days or on holiday!

http://www.surestop.co.uk/owners/

24 minutes ago, aissecur said:

At home I installed a inline Sure stop solenoid just after the incoming stop tap, has a meter of "Flex" that allows you to mount the isolation switch in a convenient / accessible location. Nice & easy to install.

Always ensure the water to the house gets switched off if away for a few days or on holiday!

http://www.surestop.co.uk/owners/

When you say "flex" you mean pipe that's connected to the air switch?