Security Installer Community

Galaxy MAX4 Crashing Panel

Hi All

I'm working on a Honeywell galaxy dimesion panel 520 V6.7 which i installed a few years ago.

all is well with the panel until i have come to install a MAX4 reader V1.77 for a access door.

this is currently the only MAX4 on the system. I have followed the install instructions and double checked the wiring for the RS485 and all is correct.

I have also added the MAX4 to the system and given it address 0 on network 4, there is nothing else on network 4 using address 0.

the issue I have is the reader appears to be working fine until you try to use a fob and 1 out of 3 times it will work fine, the other times the system goes into alarm saying Alert on the keypads but it will then not allow you to enter a code as the system seems to have locked up or crashed and you have to reboot the main panel in order to get the system working again.

After you reboot the main panel all is fine again until you try using the MAX4 again.

If anyone can help with this or has come across this also please let me know as I'm stuck with what to try next.

Thanks Dan

Connect with RSS and pull the log when it's locking you out. See what the log is saying. If the reader was faulty I would expect the log to show all devices dropping from the bus. Could be lockout related too.

Hi Both

looking at the log its saying ill-code and wrong cd both at same time from max40 which is the only Max4 on the system but then the next entry after that is boot-up

this is at the time when i try a fob on the reader.

Edited by danlad1980

Is the bootup from your reboot of the panel, or is the panel rebooting itself ?

You say that the fobs are accepted sometimes.  You're using the black Honeywell etched fobs and adding the etched number manually against the user ?

Hi GG

yes the bootup is from me rebooting the panel.

the fobs was added via the touch screen by adding a user then pressing learn card and holding the card to the screens prox.

the fobs all work fine on the keypads and allow you to operate the system but when i use a fob on the reader it just crashes the system but i can login to the minic panel and egress the door and the reader opens the door and i had even setup a time schedule for the door to have free access at set times which also worked fine.

its just not happy with fobs

19 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

You're using the black Honeywell etched fobs and adding the etched number manually against the user ?

9 minutes ago, danlad1980 said:

the fobs was added via the touch screen by adding a user then pressing learn card and holding the card to the screens prox.

For Max readers you have to enter the code on the back of the fob manually as GG post above, not by pressing A+1 and presenting to a keypad. Only the thin fobs will work with max readers

Edited by Nova-Security

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

These are the fobs being used on site and work fine on the keypads.

only thing is i can add them as i said above but if i was to enter the fob number in manually there is both numbers and letters on the fobs?

WP_20170305_15_31_58_Rich.jpg

when i add them as above the touch screen displays numbers it has got from the fob and the fob then work even though the numbers are not the same as the numbers and letters on the fob its self.  if i then upload from the panel via RRS it shows all the users fob numbers linked to there accounts but again its all numbers which dont match the fobs details.

2 hours ago, danlad1980 said:

Hi GG

yes the bootup is from me rebooting the panel.

the fobs all work fine on the keypads and allow you to operate the system but when i use a fob on the reader it just crashes the system but i can login to the minic panel and egress the door and the reader opens the door and i had even setup a time schedule for the door to have free access at set times which also worked fine.

its just not happy with fobs

What happens if you remove the touch screen , drop it from the system and try all again without it 

The stand alone max reader uses a different algorithm to decode the prox tag serial number.

The tags that work with the keyprox also work with the max, but you need the max based decoded serial number.

If you have a user who needs to use both the stand alone max reader and the keyprox, then you need to add two accounts to the system. One with the etched serial number (from the thin Galaxy tag) for the stand alone max and one with the 1+'A' scanned tag number for the keyprox.

The thin Galaxy tags have the stand alone max based algorithm number etched on them. The cheaper 125khz tags or cards from eBay have the standard serial number etched/printed. The cheaper ones work, but you need to decode the serial number into standalone max reader format before they will work with the standalone max reader.

The reason for this ? Honeywell probably wanted to monopolise on sales of the access cards/tags.

Dan, your scanned tag will be working with the keyprox, but will be locking out when used with the max. Add another user and add the etched number to that account.

Dan, did you get this resolved ?   

I can give you access to a converter app that I have on my website.  This allows you to convert the cheap tags/cards serial number (the one that's scanned by the keyprox)  to the one that the external MAX uses. At least you can use this to validate the etched code is correct from the keyprox scanned serial number.

I've no interest in capturing anyone's details.

The link takes one or more serial numbers and provides a CSV file with the original tag ID you provided and the max id.

I will post along with password in the engineering area.