Security Installer Community

HKC Quantum 70 RF jamming question

IanS100

My daughter has a wireless HKC Quantum 70 alarm which has recently reported a number of incidents of RF Jamming in the middle of the night. The problem however is that rather than simply advise her that an attack or jam has been attempted, the alarm goes into a full alarm condition with full sirens and lights. Is this normal or should the alarm simply advise her of a possible jamming attempt (via the app or alarm display)? Neither she, the baby nor the neighbours appreciate being woken up repeatedly in the middle of the night because some unknown wireless device has been used. Any input would be appreciated, cheers.

never seen jamming reported in a hkc. I'd check the device signal quality, missed polls etc.

if it thinks its being hammer and its armed it should go into full alarm. But id be doing some tests first. Can you post the relevant log sections from the app?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

2 hours ago, IanS100 said:

My daughter has a wireless HKC Quantum 70 alarm which has recently reported a number of incidents of RF Jamming in the middle of the night. The problem however is that rather than simply advise her that an attack or jam has been attempted, the alarm goes into a full alarm condition with full sirens and lights. Is this normal or should the alarm simply advise her of a possible jamming attempt (via the app or alarm display)? Neither she, the baby nor the neighbours appreciate being woken up repeatedly in the middle of the night because some unknown wireless device has been used. Any input would be appreciated, cheers.

Me neither , perhaps a bit more detail of the system, assuming your in the u.k this is a trade supplied only alarm, how far are pirs from panel , how many devices , is it reporting one device problem or a general issue

, is there any reason installer cannot look at log for you? As you may have a maintenance contract? Seeing as your app is on contract 

Or as above if you have the app etc , perhaps a picture of the log would be good 

Just to clarify JW's post, I think the point may have been lost in autocorrect...

If the system is armed (day or night) and the system is jammed, this will be normal to trigger a full alarm condition.

If the system was unset the system would likely alert like a tamper event, so no bells.

I would assume you have the installers number and it's on a service contract?

Further investigation would need to be done to workout why the system is detecting a jam.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the delay in replying. The alarm was professionally installed in the UK and is presumably a UK spec device; it consists of the HKC Quantum 70 and about 8 sensors which are a mix of magnetic, PIR and smoke, it was fitted about 6 months ago and the distance to the furthest remote is probably about 25 ft.

The installer was consulted but advised us that this is an industry wide problem with no solution, other than disabling RF detection - he did change a battery in a central heating thermostat but further advised us that any one of dozens of RF devices (in my daughter's house or one of the neighbours) could be the cause - having Googled the problem it seems that everything from wireless door bells, baby alarms and even car remotes can cause this, which seems ridiculous. Having had a number of full alarms during the night, which scared the living daylights out of the baby, she is now reluctant to set the alarm, and even if she makes sure all her RF device batteries are in good condition she certainly can't police all the neighbours. I will ask her to post the relevant log which she sent to the installer.

Thanks again for all the input.

Relevant logs as follows:

23-01-2017 07:28:43    Unset U01 Kym Remote
23-01-2017 06:47:16    RF Jam OK
23-01-2017 06:46:17    RF Jam Fault    * ALARM *
23-01-2017 05:34:16    RF Jam OK
23-01-2017 05:33:16    RF Jam Fault    * ALARM *
23-01-2017 03:07:16    RF Jam OK
23-01-2017 03:06:39    Unset U01 Kym Remote
23-01-2017 03:06:14    RF Jam Fault    * ALARM *
22-01-2017 22:32:42    Bedtime U01 Kym Remote

Edited by IanS100
Typo

6 minutes ago, IanS100 said:

We were told on installation that it's Irish.

Meaning manufacturer is Irish , as ur in UK, what area are you in?

And did he try switching off the RF jam detect? 

Has it ever activated during the day or only night part set

Can we see the day log on full set where activation has taken place?

Manufacturer is Irish, we're in Merseyside.

We have been told that switching off the RF jam detect would contravene EU legislation and in any case would not detect a genuine tamper event, so is not the best solution.

It has never activated in the day, only in the night.

49 minutes ago, IanS100 said:

The installer was consulted but advised us that this is an industry wide problem with no solution, other than disabling RF detection - he did change a battery in a central heating thermostat but further advised us that any one of dozens of RF devices (in my daughter's house or one of the neighbours) could be the cause

I would be looking to do more than replace one battery, if I had a customer complaining of an issue like this.

The system would have to be detecting a signal of a similar frequency (I would guess the kit is 868?) do you have any kit running on this frequency?

Do you live near a 4G phone mast?

Disabling Jamming is not advised.

yes as above 4g can be an issue, but id be looking at proving the panel with a test system to check it occurs in both panels and yes don't disable jam detect.

I have had a 1070 with an aerial fault cause supervision issues. Had to replace the board. 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1 hour ago, IanS100 said:

Manufacturer is Irish, we're in Merseyside.

We have been told that switching off the RF jam detect would contravene EU legislation and in any case would not detect a genuine tamper event, so is not the best solution.

It has never activated in the day, only in the night.

I wouldn't worry about EU

RF jam not same as tamper issue by the way , you do have a warranty if panel is at fault though

As James says prove with another panel next to it , he should be able to set one up with it silenced so it doesn't disturb you and see what panel reports