Security Installer Community

RISCO CPX BATTERY ISSUE

karl taylor

Purchased a new battery for the alarm system which is a risco cpx with a gardec 8 zone expander. The original battery in the alarm system is 5 years old so thouht better change it

The battery original fitted is a genessis np2.3 -12.  12v 2.3ah

I have fitted a new same make battery genessis np2.3-12 FR.    12v 2.3Ah

Upon fitting the new battery i am niw getting a fault on the key board that says. Fuse / battery fault  causing the internal alarm to go off.

Soon as  swap it back to my old battery the fault has gone.

Do you need to set or adjust any thing on this alarm system so it knows it has a new battery?

Or is it more than likely i have a faulty new battery or it is not compatible to my old one? As it says on the new battery NP 2.3 -12 FR. 12v 2.3ah.   And my original one does not say FR

Or is it just a straight forward plug and swap over no programming issue when changing the control panel battery?   so i have a faulty new battery?

Has any one come across this issue before please?

Just tested the so called new battery that i am sending back with a different multi meter. Reading now 11.15 volts.

So it most likely old stock. 

Is there any point in changing my exsisting battery if its reading 13.60 volts?  even though its five years old.

Not sure any point now. Or even though its showing high ok voltage it will be failing? As people have said its a serviceable item and needs changing due to its age.  Why? 

Ok thanks for that i check it when i get it.

12 volts should be 12volts capacity.  Understand that.

But why am i getting a reading of 13.60 volts from my original battery thats 5 years old. Surely it should be lower than 12 volts?   or is it getting over charged to compensate for voltage drop by the alarm system?  

Ohms law v/i=r in the case of a battery how much current is in the battery dictates how much voltage it can produce, and how much resistance (current drawn) will have an effect on that voltage too. 

A fully charged battery would normally be 13.5vdc 12v could mean that the battery is discharged and requires charging. It could also mean that the battery is no good ( There is a reason they are supplied partially charged). The battery is supplied to the distributor with a charge but not fully charged. While its sitting on the shelf it will over time discharge, but it takes a while and its not good for the battery. We as a company have a high turn over of batteries, so we never have a discharged battery on any of our van stock, or in our stores they dont sit around long enough to.

The manufacturers recommended life span of a battery is 4 years, but because a battery is a consumable it entirely depends on how much it has been used as to how quick it becomes past its best. I am not talking about how many power cuts either, mains is never a constant and you get spikes and dips, so how clean the mains electricity is that is supplied to your alarm effects the life and condition of battery.

I will remove the old battery from the panel that is reading 13.60 volts and leave it off over night to see what it discharges to .

very odd that a battery that is 5 years old is reading 13.60 volts ?

When i get a another new battery i see what the reading that comes to me as   .

A fully charged battery would normally be 13.5vdc 12v could mean that the battery is discharged and requires charging ?

old battery is reading 13.60 volts ...............so why change it ?  that my question