Security Installer Community

CCTV positioning

Sirtoddius

Afternoon guys. 

Was as after a little bit of help from the all knowing folks of the forum. I'm going to install some Cctv on my house and had a few questions about placement. I'm going to use Hik 4mp ip Cctv cameras and fit a Poe Hik nvr next to my router behind my TV. Would this be ok or can anyone recommend any alternatives. 

Also im having a problem with placement of the cameras. 

iv attached a picture to show where I was thinking of putting some of the cameras.  1 is to cover front of house and front door. 2 to view the drive and garage and 3 to cover side of house. 

Any my help ,suggestions or guidance would be much appreciated. 

image.jpeg

Thanks for the reply guys.  Point noted on the height. 

Does camera number 1 seem like a reasonable height. It's high enough that it can't be reached. 

I will think of alternate positions for the other two. Could maybe bring 3 down to match the height of 1 to the right of the porch to cover the drive. 

Sixwheeledbeast is there any other brands you recommend. I have access to trade accounts at suppliers so can get most stuff. 

3 hours ago, Sirtoddius said:

Afternoon guys. 

Was as after a little bit of help from the all knowing folks of the forum. I'm going to install some Cctv on my house and had a few questions about placement. I'm going to use Hik 4mp ip Cctv cameras and fit a Poe Hik nvr next to my router behind my TV. Would this be ok or can anyone recommend any alternatives. 

Also im having a problem with placement of the cameras. 

iv attached a picture to show where I was thinking of putting some of the cameras.  1 is to cover front of house and front door. 2 to view the drive and garage and 3 to cover side of house. 

Any my help ,suggestions or guidance would be much appreciated. 

image.jpeg

Put four cam's high for overview wide picture and four cameras low for recognition as mentioned , and stick few more up around will look hardcore

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Put four cam's high for overview wide picture and four cameras low for recognition as mentioned , and stick few more up around will look hardcore

I don't want the cameras to be obstructed by the barbed wire or manned watch tower. 

Do you know any good moat digging companies???

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Sirtoddius said:

I don't want the cameras to be obstructed by the barbed wire or manned watch tower. 

Do you know any good moat digging companies???

No need , line a bunch of London rats on leads keep them hungry 

1 hour ago, Amps said:

The fan noise from the Nvr will drive you crazy. You won't notice it at first but overtime it will get to you.

i wouldn't put it behind the Tv if I were you mate.

cheers mate. Did not even consider the noise of the fan. Cables run via the spare bedroom so nvr could go in there. 

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

No need , line a bunch of London rats on leads keep them hungry 

I keep this on me at all times just in case I encounter any miscreants 

image.jpeg

On 17/02/2017 at 6:20 PM, al-yeti said:

You need cameras high up aswell as low down from what seems to be the Norma , costs more of course 

Cameras need cleaning on a regular basis so access to them is very important. Best bet would to be use turret cameras as they do not attract as many spiders/cobwebs as bullets and domes.

Pop down to your local Adi branch as they have a decent deal on Hikvision 4Mp turret cameras at the moment.

Deal expired on 14th

Edited by MrHappy
Deal expired on 14th

51 minutes ago, Amps said:

Cameras need cleaning on a regular basis so access to them is very important. Best bet would to be use turret cameras as they do not attract as many spiders/cobwebs as bullets and domes.

Pop down to your local Adi branch as they have a decent deal on Hikvision 4Mp turret cameras at the moment.

Deal expired on 14th

Lol I was. Reading down thinking somewhere hikmission is going to be mentioned

But yes cleaning needs consideration, although the most residential either don't clean at all , or use an abrasive cloth on the ceramic and wonder why it's fogged up at night , muppets

Edited by MrHappy
removed link

52 minutes ago, Amps said:

Deal expired on the 14th

The DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A is also a decent price @ £125.99. Check Out the online prices you wont beat that.

Edited by MrHappy

On 17/02/2017 at 9:05 PM, Amps said:

Deal expired on 14th

Yeah i I see that deal in my local gardiners security. Was the 4mp fixed lens ones and had a Hik Dvr on offer too. 

Would Just like to say thank you for the help from everyone. It's very much appreciated. 

Edited by MrHappy
Deal expired on 14th

On 17/02/2017 at 9:05 PM, Amps said:

Deal expired on 14th

The deal did not expire on the 14th. It is available throughout February. Only the items in the top left hand box have now expired.

1 hour ago, Amps said:

The deal did not expire on the 14th. It is available throughout February. Only the items in the top left hand box have now expired.

everything on the 1st page (expect cable ties) are marked 2 weeks only & everything on the back page is marked 2 weeks only

the small print says "trade only" & "subject to availability" 

Mr? Veritas God

3 hours ago, MrHappy said:

everything on the 1st page (expect cable ties) are marked 2 weeks only & everything on the back page is marked 2 weeks only

the small print says "trade only" & "subject to availability" 

I am sure your on drugs only way you could spot half this stuff or a mutant 

Edited by al-yeti

3 hours ago, MrHappy said:

the small print says "trade only"

yeah, but that's a bit like the fake £1 cover price on the local estate agents magazine, or 'do not use your phone whilst driving' innit?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

5 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

yeah, but that's a bit like the fake £1 cover price on the local estate agents magazine, or 'do not use your phone whilst driving' innit?

IIRC having a "free mag" with price printed on the front is about claiming back tax rather than expecting payment...

Mr? Veritas God

6 hours ago, al-yeti said:

I am sure your on drugs only way you could spot half this stuff or a mutant 

you seen the flyer ?

there's a bosch g2 pir which is 31p cheaper than SW with a minimum order of 6, wow £1.80 odd saved

Mr? Veritas God