Security Installer Community

Upgrading Veritas alarm

apples12

Hi All!

We currently have a Veritas R8 alarm system installed - done by a gumtree 'installer' who by the sounds of it has screwed up an awful lot of the wiring.

System is a Texecom Veritas R8 with 5PIR's and 3 door contacts, 1 RKP, 2 bellboxes (one front, one rear) - 

About a month ago we had a power surge which blew something in the alarm panel and bellboxes. The system is now extremely buggy - will set but then not go off once i trigger a PIR or door contact, will go off when i have unset the system, front bellbox is faulty - has been wired correctly and i've checked the cable myself again, all in correctly but will not 'ring' when testing or triggering the alarm.

I have now decided that I want to upgrade the alarm panel and keypad to a system which I can monitor remotely and actually see the settings etc (Wintex?)

I'm looking at the Texecom Premier Elite 24 polymer panel with a prox keypad and COM-IP or COM-wifi (router is near the alarm panel so wire is preferred)

the bellboxes installed at the moment are a texecom odyssey 3e (faulty) and an odyssey 1 (working ok)

is there any advice that people can provide me with? 

I need to know what size battery to go with (i'm thinking a 7ah?)

any other tips? 

the PIR's installed are texecom premier PIR's (only installed 12months ago)

The first thing you need to ask yourself is...

Am I capable of installing this myself (I'm guessing you got someone in last time for a reason - and that panel was a LOT more basic)

Have I fully tested all the apparently 'screwed up wiring' (also referring to post 1)

What do I really need Wintex for? Because if it's just for monitoring the wiring, a properly installed alarm does that 24/7. Especially if you have one with a plain English, LCD keypad that actually tells you what's going on.

Or do you mean, you wish to monitor the system for alarms?

You will need to firstly ask yourself if you are up to the job, or, find a proper installer, not Derek from Gumtree or Dave down the pub.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Hi,

In terms of installing - main reason I got someone in was (at the time) it was going to be more time consuming for me to do the wiring...

Wiring - I have checked every single wire run from the panel to each door contact, PIR and the front bellbox using a continuity tester

Wintex - for setup, configuration and monitoring system for alarms/faults

panel - the current veritas r8 i have only has a basic LED panel - if there was any way to fit an LCD panel to this then i'm all ears! only way I can see is to change the panel and the keypad as the current one seems to be a little glitchy 

However, if there has been a genuine power surge / spike due to lightning (these are really quite rare unless you live on a farm fed by a small locally mounted transformer etc...)

you would be advised to check everything for operation, not just wiring, especially the bells.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

R8 is pretty basic but fairly robust.

There is likely something wrong that a competent engineer would be able to repair.

Good bit more to fitting alarms than sticking equipment on coloured wires, consider what you are taking on and have a read through the threads on the DIY Installers forum.

Hi

Both bellboxes are fully functioning/real bellboxes and not dummies.

Operation of both was tested by using the engineering menu on the keypad, both will strobe however only the rear will ring.

When the initial surge happened the front bellbox would not stop ringing and went on for best part of an hour or so before I opened the panel and removed the +12v, this seemed to shut it up.

As much as I appreciate there is an awful lot more to it than joining coloured wires I feel I'm competent enough in the actual install and initial setup, where I require some assistance is in ensuring I have the best/most suitable system in the first instance to help cover the home and make fault finding a little easier (reason why I want to go for a panel I can connect to a computer along with a LCD control panel as opposed to the simpler one which the installer initially fitted).

I've had one incompetent engineer out who seemed professional and on the ball at the outset- alarm bells started ringing (pardon the pun) when I watched him simply unplug and replace the same bellbox battery and proceed to hand me an invoice for £60 for the privilege...

I may be a 'diyer' but I feel I'm competent enough to take this on without getting swindled by another 'installer'.

I appreciate the input on this thread.

Edited by apples12

4 minutes ago, apples12 said:

Both bellboxes are fully functioning/real bellboxes and not dummies.

Unless you have a separate PSU, and/or one of the bells is set to SCB mode, way too much current for an R8, my worry is that Gumtree Garry can't design let alone install - so it might be that you need to think about the existing system design before we worry about kit.

4 minutes ago, apples12 said:

Operation of both was tested by using the engineering menu on the keypad, both will strobe however only the rear will ring.

When the initial surge happened the front bellbox would not stop ringing and went on for best part of an hour or so before I opened the panel and removed the +12v, this seemed to shut it up.

So we know that the front box is faulty, as it should have cut off after 20 minutes, but possibly re-sounded when you removed the power supply. As neither happened it's bin time for the front sounder.

It might be worth sharing a plan of your house and existing detectors before we go too far?

6 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

I do think its a bit unfair to get an installer from gumtree then assume pro installers are the same

Now we all know all best the professionals advertise in local free adds, only crap installers bother with paying for accreditation and advertisment.   

Same situation , most residential customers never service there alarms and don't pay to have it fixed , same as your car , you can go from mechanic to mechanic but you end having to pay as you can't fix the car, the alarm is just an alarm simple eh?

How come you havnt figured out the basics your asking yet? 

£60 is cheap for him just to come out to you, let alone try and fix it , you mean you want someone to spend time working on your system and not pay for any diagnosis 

Most residential are the same although seems commercial are catching up

Just now, PeterJames said:

Now we all know all best the professionals advertise in local free adds, only crap installers bother with paying for accreditation and advertisment.   

Eh?  I don't advertise , where does a blagger like me fit it in then

2 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Eh?  I don't advertise , where does a blagger like me fit it in then

Same one as me I suppose, in your shoes I wouldnt bother with free advertising in Gumtree either, you can see what sort of numpties that attracts 

The initial guy that came out and installed the alarm was advertised on Gumtree, Yellow pages and was also advertising in the local alarm/cctv suppliers as an approved fitter - i had gone to that store as it was nearby and to obtain someone reliable. 

the second twat that came and charged me 60quid for doing nothing was also listed as an approved fitter through the texecom website - i have already sent a complaint off to texecom.

The £60 was the charge for the battery, there was a callout charge of £45 for the diagnosis - so no, i'm not expecting a free service - simple A service would be appreciative.

with all due respect, this is the DIY forum and I was hoping for some constructive advice not just petty piss-taking and trolling. 

the basics i'm asking about i have figured out to some degree - I was hoping for some clarification and reassurance that i'd made the correct choices.

anyone else got anything actually constructive to say?

• Downvote 4

bit of advice, don't get funny with those you want free help from

but there are bodies that inspect installers I would go down that route first

If your going down the diy route give Texecom tech a call they will help you with product choice without using tsi

• Upvote 2

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

ok

Yes I think its a good diy option and a panel that will do what you need.

Its stable kit but you think a 'spike' has killed your current one

But be careful on current load (2 bells in sab mode) and you should be fine

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

a

2 minutes ago, apples12 said:

The initial guy that came out and installed the alarm was advertised on Gumtree, Yellow pages and was also advertising in the local alarm/cctv suppliers as an approved fitter - i had gone to that store as it was nearby and to obtain someone reliable.

paid adverts

the second twat that came and charged me 60quid for doing nothing was also listed as an approved fitter through the texecom website - i have already sent a complaint off to texecom.

Texecom approved/ registered means fuck all, I could get my goldfish signed up...

The £60 was the charge for the battery, there was a callout charge of £45 for the diagnosis - so no, i'm not expecting a free service - simple A service would be appreciative.

we'd be above £60 for for visit,

with all due respect, this is the DIY forum and I was hoping for some constructive advice not just petty piss-taking and trolling.

TBH most of the site is petty piss taking ?

anyone else got anything actually constructive to say?

Buy metal cased premier, 7ah is okay depending how much kit is powered of it

• Upvote 3

Mr? Veritas God

6 minutes ago, apples12 said:

I have contacted texecom tech support and they've advised the premier elite 24 is a good choice for my application.

Should have signed yourself up as "approved" whilst on the line,

• Upvote 2

Mr? Veritas God

thank you

In terms of a plan of the house it is as follows...

Ground floor - 

Entry door - door contact - opening into front lounge 

Front lounge - PIR 1

Front Lounge - Keypad

Second Lounge - PIR 2 - Exterior patio door from 2nd lounge

Exterior Patio door from 2nd lounge - Door contact

Kitchen - PIR 3

Kitchen External door - Door Contact

First Floor

Staircase - PIR 4

Rear Landing - PIR 5

There is one bellbox on the rear of the property and one at the front

As I sad above, you have absolutely nothing to lose by defaulting your current panel, if it works yay, if not then boo.

Oh, and Texecom won't give a shite about your experience with an approved installer, I expect the approved list reads like a who's who of DIY alarms.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

If you mean using the engineering menu on the keypad to revert to factory settings then yes, i've already tried this...

this is where the forum is useful - prior to this I would have assumed the list was 'vetted' in some way, sounds like any fool can get onto it

is there a list of 'TSI-approved' installers for the midlands?

14 minutes ago, apples12 said:

is there a list of 'TSI-approved' installers for the midlands?

TSI list is anyone who wants to be listed on it,

A better list to work from on - http://www.nsi.org.uk/ or https://ssaib.org/ 

however they'll want a margin on the gear, a mans wages & probably a maintenance contract too

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

2 hours ago, apples12 said:

I am sorry but you can't say 'with all due respect' then take that tone. All the advise you have got so far is spot on, there is plenty of piss taking and trolling on the forum but I don't see any going on in this thread, yet.

Please be aware most of the people that have responded to your thread have many years of experience, both within the industry and posting here to DIYers.

Your questions are currently a bit vague, hence why people are suggesting you find a proper installer.

Maybe if you break down what you need to know if you are certain on a DIY route.

Yes, if you wish to swap your panel for a Premier 24 that would be fine, but you may find the issue is not the panel.

If you wish to take on installing the COM modules to the Premier you will need good IT knowledge and be able to understand firewalls and port forwarding.

As I say there are plenty of threads within the DIY section that have had DIYer's asking for help with there installation over a period of months to get a partly working system.

They are worth a read, many questions have been answered time and time again.