Security Installer Community

Solar Powered Wifi Camera Installation

Hi there, I've been trying to find out what I can use for a job that requires a ptz IP camera located 800' away from where the NVR is located. I've found products that can handle the data transfer wirelessly for that distance, but I haven't found a suitable way to power it all. The owner of the site wants a solar powered wifi camera, but also wants every thing to be on the cheap side. I've seen kits that contain every thing I'm looking for, but for thousands of dollars. Has anyone used any of these kits and can recommend one? How have other people been able to fill these kinds of requirements (wireless/solar/ptz)? 

20 minutes ago, Ari Toledano said:

The owner of the site wants a solar powered wifi camera, but also wants every thing to be on the cheap side.

This is the point at which most people would walk.

Something like this needs to be professional and fitting cheap will cause hassle in the long run.

52 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

This is the point at which most people would walk.

Something like this needs to be professional and fitting cheap will cause hassle in the long run.

QFA cheap wont work, and the customer will be on the fone every 5 minutes driving you mad walk away 

2 hours ago, Ari Toledano said:

Hi there, I've been trying to find out what I can use for a job that requires a ptz IP camera located 800' away from where the NVR is located. I've found products that can handle the data transfer wirelessly for that distance, but I haven't found a suitable way to power it all. The owner of the site wants a solar powered wifi camera, but also wants every thing to be on the cheap side. I've seen kits that contain every thing I'm looking for, but for thousands of dollars. Has anyone used any of these kits and can recommend one? How have other people been able to fill these kinds of requirements (wireless/solar/ptz)? 

Just quote him the thousands then 

Do you live somewhere extremely sunny though? That might sway things a bit. As far as a low power consumption cheap ip ptz goes a floureon bt54 is actually a nice wee unit but we are still talking 980 ma af night/ 280ma day spiking to 1420ma motor running at night before you countthe load from your wireless link you will need an expensive solar array and battery bank to achieve any sort of reliability and the cheapskate gentlemen are also the most whiny fussy customers in my experience, you would do well to either bodyswerve it or set expectations seriously low and emphasise the increased maintenance requirements to keep the panels clean and overspec in the first instance as the output degrades over time.

Edited by PeterJames
Swearing in public